C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 05:55 PM
74Vetteski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment...

The alignment guy who specializes in Vettes, aligned my vette today. He said he measured from all the appropriate spots, checked that the suspension was installed correctly (I recently did a complete rebuild with new parts), etc. However, he said that the vette is 1/2" lower on the driver side (front and back) :confused:. He measured from frame and body points. Anybody else notice that vettes are somewhat lower on the driver side. Given that the 1/2" can be measured from the frame and body seems to indicate that the frame is drooping on one side!
Any feedback welcome.
Peter
Old 01-02-2002, 06:11 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment... (74Vetteski)

Peter, Where did you take it? I always take mine to "Precision frame and axle" off of Stockton ave.

Mine also sits lower on the drivers side, but mine is due to letting a friend drive it( long story :cry ) I guess the fact that it sits low front and back on the same side is somewhat good news. Mine sits high on the right front and low on the left rear. Not a good sign.

Tom
Old 01-02-2002, 10:15 PM
74Vetteski
Advanced

Default Re: Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment... (tsw71)

I took it to Custom Aignment in mountain View. $150 for the 4 wheel alignment. I took it for a spin tonight and it handles very well, I totally pleased with the job. In fact they did my brakes (flush) a few montyhs ago and boy was the pedal high and hard. Excellent work and lots of attention to detail. I've been around the block and these guys are good. money well spent.
Peter :)
Old 01-03-2002, 12:27 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Seems a lot of these Vettes "lean left".
I recently spent top dollar having most of the rear suspension rebuilt. Afterward a good going over by a top local speed shop with Vette trained mechanic... who's said everything is straight. He also added "it's more common than not to see the drivers side droop a bit.
The new adjustable rear struts... leaf spring... front coils and stub shafts helped out ...but I too am still about 1\2 inch lower on the drivers side.
No one notices but me. :crazy:
Old 01-03-2002, 12:31 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a problem with my car. Pass front is high and drivers rear is low. You can exagerate it by sitting on either corner of the car. Everything, absolutley everything has been replaced. Except the body mounts. I have yet to look there since my car is in shambles right now but I am almosy 100 percent sure that where my problem lays. Perhaps you've got a bad mount?
Old 01-03-2002, 02:57 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment... (Stingy74)

I bet the bodymounts are rotted away....
When I replaced mine on a 76 there was just earth, grease, metal and very little rubber left. I touched them and they fell into pieces :yesnod:
Check your body mounts!
Old 01-03-2002, 07:07 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Peter, Where did you take it? I always take mine to "Precision frame and axle" off of Stockton ave.

Tom
Tom,
How much for a 4 wheel alignment there? I'm way overdue....
Old 01-03-2002, 08:54 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

WHat is the going rate for a decent 4 wheel alignment? I'm planning on taking my car to a reputable local shop and they're quoting me about $150.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:33 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment... (Les)

Tom,
How much for a 4 wheel alignment there? I'm way overdue....
Les, I've only done either the front or rear each time. Never all four corners at the same time. For the front, it was about $105 about 5 years ago. The rear was done in 99 and that alone was around $170. These guys certainly are not cheap, but it is the only place I have found so far that I trust enough to leave the car with. These guys specialize in rare and exotic cars. There are no computers or machines used. It is all done the old fashioned way and the alignments have always been perfect. I've gone to other places where you either need an interpreter to talk to the guy doing the work or where there is a young kid who only knows what the computer tells him to do. These guys are all older gearheads in their early 40's to 50's . I have never been impressed with the computerized alignment racks with any of my cars.

Tom
Old 01-03-2002, 11:41 AM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Just before I sold my car I had a 4-wheel alignment done. This guy does it the old fashion way - not with the drive on lift and computers, etc...

So without the overhead that the newer places have - $74.95 :)

Get notified of new replies

To Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment...

Quick Reply: Just came back from a 4 wheel alignment...