C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[POLL] What Size Air Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Chris B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [POLL] What Size Air Compressor?

Hi everyone, and happy new year.

My wife gave me an air compressor for Christmas this year, which I NEED to bring my barn up to minimum standards of sanity-control :yesnod:

Well, the unit she gave me is great, it's a Craftsman 33 gallon, 6 hp, 150 psi horizontal portable, but I am considering taking it back as I am not sure it is the ideal size. This unit will run up to a 3/4" impact wrench, which is way over my needs. The uses, mostly down-the-road, and all very occasional, will be; ratchets, chisels, 1/2" impact wrench, general household, nail gun, possibly paint gun, etc.

I was looking at the 2-3 gallon contractor jobbies, which I think will work for most purposes on my list and be a lot more portable for nail gun projects. Sears rates their's right on the unit, and the list of tools on the small ones doesn't include the 1/2" wrench, but I think it would do for occasional use.

I want to keep the bigger one so I am not returning her gift, if I will need one this big, but the smaller one seems "smarter" (especially since it's about $100 cheaper). Please let me know if I'm overlooking something, or what your opinion is as to the better unit for my NEEDS!

Thanks to all,
Chris
Old 01-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (Chris B)

I got the same one only it's the vertical one, haven't done much with other than fill tires up.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:25 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

I was looking at the 2-3 gallon contractor jobbies, which I think will work for most purposes on my list and be a lot more portable for nail gun projects. Sears rates their's right on the unit, and the list of tools on the small ones doesn't include the 1/2" wrench, but I think it would do for occasional use.
The 2-3 Gallon contractor jobbies only have the capacity to run the nail gun. If you were to use this unit for impact wrench, rachet, etc - IMO you would not be happy. You would be waiting for the compressor to catch up. With the larger unit, you have plenty of air in reserve allowing the compressor to keep the tank full, instead of having to supply your tools directly.

I received a 30 gallon SpeedAir for Christmas - I put it in a covered area next to my workshop at the back of my yard and ran 150' of plastic pipe up to the side of my house for an additional air connection to be used at my driveway or in the house.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:29 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Keep it :yesnod: you'll be glad you did some day :cheers:
Old 01-02-2002, 05:32 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Hi everyone, and happy new year.

My wife gave me an air compressor for Christmas this year, which I NEED to bring my barn up to minimum standards of sanity-control :yesnod:

Well, the unit she gave me is great, it's a Craftsman 33 gallon, 6 hp, 150 psi horizontal portable, but I am considering taking it back as I am not sure it is the ideal size. This unit will run up to a 3/4" impact wrench, which is way over my needs. The uses, mostly down-the-road, and all very occasional, will be; ratchets, chisels, 1/2" impact wrench, general household, nail gun, possibly paint gun, etc.

I want to keep the bigger one so I am not returning her gift, if I will need one this big, but the smaller one seems "smarter" (especially since it's about $100 cheaper). Please let me know if I'm overlooking something, or what your opinion is as to the better unit for my NEEDS!

Thanks to all,
Chris
Sounds like I have the same you do. I like it, but it lags a bit when blasting @ 90 psi.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Garys '68
Racer

I've got the same craftsman 33 gal. It runs EVERYTHING well. KEEP IT!.
Also bought a 4 gal pancake, 2hp compressor from Harbor Freight for $80. I keep it on my boat for regular repairs. It works well for nail/staple guns, 1/2" impact. It doesn't work well with grinders, chisels, or drills. It runs out of air too quickly. Even a 3/8" air ratchet uses too much for the 4 gal to support well. I haven't tried my paint gun with it and don't think I ever will.
It's great to have the little 4 gal on my boat, but it would be frustrating if it was the only one I had to use. BTW, Harbor Freight marks down their 4 gallon from $120 to under $90 evry few months.
Gary
Old 01-02-2002, 05:49 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

I agree with comments above. Keep the one your wife got for your barn. If you find need for portability get a small one for the odd jobs.

If you are considering all of those future uses the small one will not be satisfactory. I actually got about 200' of hose so I can reach most places in the house from the workshop out back to run finishing nailers and such for home projects.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (PatG)

Keep the big one. If you're like me, you'll probably find that the "big" one will not be big enough if you start to do sandblasting or glass beading. Those little "put-put" compressors are good for filling tires in my opinion. I finally bit the bullet about 8 years ago and bought an 80 gallon upright with a 5HP two stage motor. Gives plenty of air. Chuck
Old 01-02-2002, 07:47 PM
2ND77
Instructor

I have a 5 HP, 20 Gal compressor. I cant imagine trying to run an impact wrench off something smaller. Not enough capacity (gal) for the long duration.

Ron
Old 01-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Chris,
In this case BIGGER IS BETTER! If you plan on doing any extensive work on your car, AIR is a tool. Get yourself some air tools, 3/8" Ratchet, 1/2" impact, drill, and cutoff grinder. You will use them more than you ever realize.
A couple of weeks ago I used my air tools to pull the heads off my car. It could not of taken an hour, that included removing all the accessories, and I wasn't in any hurry.
Keep the big compressor and take advantage of it.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:54 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (Smokehouse69)

I agree with the others here. I have a Sears 20 gallon / 6 hp due to space problems iin my garage. I would recommend this at a minimun but if I had room would go to the 30. You will be sorry if you trade it in.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:01 PM
peterhuber1
Navigator

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (R. Bruno)

Bigger will be better especially if you are using it with one of those small parts blasting booths.....have a great time with it....plus it will keep the wifey happy... :flag
Old 01-02-2002, 11:05 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (R. Bruno)

Keep the big one you'll be happy you did especially if you get into sand blasting.

I got the Craftsman 2 Stage 175 PSI and it seems to be adequate for blasting, I also got a 625 FT/lb impact gun that runs fine on it.

In the case of air compressors the size does matter :D
Old 01-03-2002, 12:27 AM
redc3vette1
Instructor

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (MotorHead)

ive got the 60 gallon 6.5 hp craftsman and it runs anything and you can always use a lil more power so i would keep the bigger one :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it from one who services 100hp and 300hp compressors at work. Bigger is Better... down the road, you'll be glad you did. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-03-2002, 04:55 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (Silvr77)

Keep the big one- my 5 horse- 25 gallon will barely keep up with a grinder.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:35 PM
keytech
Racer

Keep the one you have. i have one of the smaller ones (3 hp)that I used for my nail guns when I worked with them. great for portability (still a heavy little booger) but when the time comes for more hp you will regret not having one.

A very good example of what you need more for: sand blaster. Sooner or later you will want to take somethinga part that needs restoring. You need a LOT of air to push one. You mentioned a paint gun, gonna need to prep that body to use that so there ya have it. Besides, do you really want to take back a great gift your wife bought you?
Old 01-03-2002, 09:35 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor? (MikeC)

We have like a 100 gallon in the shop. It rules. My uncle put it in when he started building the house. The thing is huge, but it's ohhh sooo nice.

Get notified of new replies

To [POLL] What Size Air Compressor?

Quick Reply: [POLL] What Size Air Compressor?