C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slam the seat??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 01:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default slam the seat??

anyof you tall guys, or arthritic types ever lower the driver's seat in a shark....????
as in REALLY lower the thing....I knock the two back mounting brackets off the tracks, and bent the front tabs to lower that by a little bit also...
gained maybe an inch, but I need more...much more another 2-3 inches would be grand....any ideas???

is there anything in the seat frame??? how about mods to the floorboards..???

I allready moved lower firewall forward about 2.5 inches or so, and pedals too...that will give me more critical leg room, lower my knees a bit...
moved wheel assy back toward me only 3/4 inch off the firewall, wish I could do more....just not there in stock bracketing....anyone else have any ideas...??? maybe I should get a buddy to relocate/weld bracket on the steering columb...???

GENE
Old 01-02-2002, 01:56 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: slam the seat?? (mrvette)

Well there is one advantage of being short. I fit fine
Old 01-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: slam the seat?? (Gordonm)

:cheers: :lol:
Old 01-02-2002, 02:01 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: slam the seat?? (Chris Fowler '80)

I have to agree, at 5'7 I fit very comfortably in my C3. I know that doesn't help you much, but there might be a little more room in a C4 or C5 for tall guys, if you continue to see a Vette in your future. Good Luck :D
Old 01-02-2002, 02:08 PM
jonvolk
Advanced

Default Re: slam the seat?? (Warp70)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
5'6"..no problems here :D
Old 01-02-2002, 02:09 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: slam the seat?? (Warp70)

Nope, I gave up on an '87 in favor of the better seating in my '72 here, and now I need even more room......there are many more reasons for the change also, but seating was one consideration...
I guess I will have to cut seat frame and reweld it all around....

GENE
Old 01-02-2002, 02:47 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

I am 6'3" and really don't have a problem with mine either. Maybe I just grew into it.

dl
Old 01-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Tominator
Drifting

you should see me get in mine, looks funny. :lol:
Old 01-02-2002, 03:06 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: slam the seat?? (jonvolk)

quote:

5'6"..no problems here :D
Me either!! In fact, at 5'-7" I had to fabricate a block of aluminum for the seat back to rest on. I also installed spacers in the seat bumpers so I was in more of an upright driving position. Couldn'd see over the steering wheel very well. Like my Momma always told me "Good things come in small packages" :jester :jester
Old 01-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Yea You should see me get in mine too. :) :) :) I'm only 5'3" Actually I thought that I would be too short for one until I drove mine and it's great.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: slam the seat?? (Ed T)

You know in the car biz they say 'there is an butt for every seat'....well my butt fits my seat very well, only thing is, after looking at it again just now. I guess I will cut out the floorboard, take out the seatbelt plate, have a buddy reweld it to lower the belt assy, and reseal that plate onto the cut out glass section....lowering the belt mechanism by about 2 inches....
now to do same to front of seat by about an inch or so....
using a fair amount of construction adhesive to seal it up....and or fiberglass.......

gee all I need is another project....

GENE
Old 01-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A note to the "height challenged" drivers........when I took my rusted seats apart I found that bubba had made up 4/ 2" spacers out of washers between the tracks & seat frame. It woulda been a good idea if he had used hardened hardware.
Yeah, I thought of this too, but I found the seat backs were too "laid back" with no safe or permanent adjustment. So I just fabricated an aluminum block to fit between the seat back and bottom portion to "tip" the seat back 3/4" more upright. Put spacers (stainless) on the bumper screws, adjusted them out and locked them in place. That made a word of difference in my visibility, and is easier on my back. :cheers:
Old 01-02-2002, 03:49 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: slam the seat?? (Silvr77)

I dunno there is something to be said for those HUGE 60-40 Caddy seats out of the 70's...leather, tall enough, adjustable headrests, electric everything....fit anyone form a 4 1/2 foot gal to a 6 1/2 foot guy really easy, with good visability too....and too boot the mechanisms rarely gave much troubles....damn things had nearly 5-6" worth of vertical and nearly 9" of horizontal travel on them....never been equalled since then...even the new 'large' caddy's....

GENE
Old 01-02-2002, 04:19 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Ed, tell you what, IF I ever get this car back together, it's a miracle at this point....I got so much poopie torn apart, I dunno....well a bit along....
so I might as well trash the seat area too, nothing else to loose, think I"m going to get a whole bunch of thing welded up for it...
including dropping the seat front...and rear too....I"m looking at that frame and thinking, wonder if it's that big a deal to mount the seat rear onto the frame instead of the body directly.....hard choice, don't need any more harsh a ride....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To slam the seat??

Quick Reply: slam the seat??