C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a 68

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 03:24 AM
Lead Foot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a 68

I am considering buying a 68' and would like to know what to look for in the way of problem areas and how to identify if the numbers match, correct options etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:40 AM
Geoff H
Instructor

Default Re: What to look for in a 68 (Lead Foot)

if u r not familiar with 68 etc type vettes, go buy yourself a black book and take it with u, or as i do write all numbers while u r looking at the car and then u can take your time to decipher them when u get home.
check obvious places for frame rust and make a list of what doesnt work, hey being a vette something wont, :D , and TAKE YOUR TIME, look at evrything at least twice, and ask questions.
good hunting
Old 01-02-2002, 10:06 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to look for in a 68 (Geoff H)

Only caution would be some one year only parts that can be hard to find, door lock cylinders for example. The advice about getting the Black Book is bang on. It has all the major component numbers listed. If you grab an Eckler's catalogue you will notice that many parts from '69 on are very available, but some '68 parts aren't. That's really the only down side.

The upsides are that this is the first of the long C3 run, with styling that still today looks timeless. The last year of the 327 small block (in the Corvette anyway, it soldiered on in some other GM products for another year). Ignition on the dash, back up lights below the bumper, different door panels, the already mentioned unique door locks, slightly larger diameter steering wheel (harder to get in/out but probably makes my manual steering slightly easier!). Tele wheel is a good option. Tilt not available until '69. Parking brake and shifter console (another hard part to find!) also unique to year. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: What to look for in a 68 (68shark)

I love the 68's I wish I still had my old vert.....
Old 01-02-2002, 04:40 PM
68350hp
Racer

Default Re: What to look for in a 68 (Lead Foot)

I haven't found any problems with my '68 but they do have a lot of '68 only parts that do get expensive

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for in a 68

Quick Reply: What to look for in a 68