C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine almost out. Any last minute tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 11:36 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Engine almost out. Any last minute tips?

Started just after Christmas.

Removed exhaust, driveshaft, shifter, clutch linkage, headers, one very heavy starter, carb, fuel pump, water pump, radiator and a few other bits and pieces.

Not sure if I am going to do the separate tranny and engine and pull or the onepiece job. Probably will remove the core support since needs some rust holes welded anyway.

Plans include a rebuild of the Super T-10 (synchros), new U-joints, new clutch. For the engine, I am thinking of a 383 kit with quality aluminum heads (Edelbrock or TFS) and keeping the Energizer 272 cam for now. Next year probably swap the cam for a hyd roller setup when the bank balance is back up.

Any advice or info on any of the above appreciated.

Old 01-02-2002, 12:00 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Engine almost out. Any last minute tips? (SteveG75)

I would also remove the distributor, exhaust manifolds, and anything else with extra weight to lighten the assembly. Do you have a crank type leveler? This
makes it much easier to remove the engine/tranny combo. I did mine that way and it was a snap. I had the car on four good jackstands aout 6-8" in the air.
I also placed alot of tarps/quilts around the frontend to protect the paint. Also make sure you have plenty of clearence above to clear the top of the hoist....nothing worse then not being able to jack the engine all the way up to clear the frontend because the hoist hits a beam.. :rolleyes:
I would also drain all the oil and tranny fluid out, because when you tilt the assembly enought to clear the frontend, all the fluid will drain out of the tailshaft onto the floor! :eek:
When you get that engine and transmission out dangling over the front end of your car....we are talking major pucker factor! :eek:
Be careful and double/triple check everthing! I recommend at least grade 8 bolts for the lift attachment points to the block...
Old 01-02-2002, 12:41 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Engine almost out. Any last minute tips? (Bob Jenkins)

Thanks Bob. Distributor is already out as are the headers. Car is about 12" up so I may drop it some. Only problems so far is that the last place that changed my gear oil cranked the plugs down so hard, I can't get enough torque to remove them. :confused: Also, only place in town with a hoist to rent does not have a load leveler for it. :boxing

Steve
Old 01-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Engine almost out. Any last minute tips? (SteveG75)

You definately need a leveler, I wouldn't try it without one. Maybe someone in your area can lend you one or maybe you can rent one somewhere.....without
a leveler, the transmission tailshaft will really be hitting the tunnel. With a leveler, I pulled and re-installed my engine/tranny by myself. Also, maybe you can buy a cap to stick in the end of the tranny to keep the oil from draining out. I know Jeg's sells them....... http://www.jegs.com

Get notified of new replies

To Engine almost out. Any last minute tips?

Quick Reply: Engine almost out. Any last minute tips?