C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need electrical wiring id help

Old 01-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Need electrical wiring id help

I'm going to pull out my old radio and stick a 12 disc cd changer in. Bad news: I'll have to cut the dash to fit the new radio in. :cry Good news: it was already cut to make room for the aftermarket after the original was stolen.
:eek:

Anyway, I took a look at the back of the old one and it has a few wires that I don't know what they do and connect to a plug. In order to put in the new one, i need to know which ones these are and the colors don't match up. Any help is appreciated. Here goes:

There is:

red w/ a fuse
light blue

blue into a connector plug
red into same connector
darker blue into same
green into same
white into same
brown into same
black into same

I think the black might be the ground, but the rest ? :confused:
BTW, '75 coupe, L48, TH400, HEI, what else do you need to know?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:00 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need electrical wiring id help (Buffalo Dude)

This won't be a lot of help but, red w/fuse is for the always "hot" lead for the digital memory(station presets/clock). The light blue might be for an electric/power antenna connection.
What type of radio are you taking out?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Need electrical wiring id help (82dukman)

Thanks, one less wire to worry about :yesnod:

right now i have an old mitsubishi from the 80s. I'm going to add in a jvc cassette reciever with a 12 disc dedicated changer. Looks like the light blue wire is connected to something but i don't have power antenna. Not sure what it goes to.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:23 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Are you going to add the changer to the Mitsubishi or is that the one you pulled out?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Need electrical wiring id help (82dukman)

The changer is going in with the jvc, along with a pair of 6x9 kenwoods :cheers:
The mitsubishi is coming out because the tape deck is broken and the reception is really bad. i think some of these wires are to speakers, but i don't know which ones. I already have a pair of old aftermarket speakers in the back, but the kenwoods are going to replace them. It looks like the mitsubishi plugs into what appears to be an original wiring harness.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:43 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

What colors are the original ones that are hooked into the mitsubishi's harness? Does the cars wiring still have the factory plugs or were they cut?
I believe all of the wires except for the red and black are for speakers too. Hard to tell without the radio's owners manual.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:51 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

If it looks like it goes into a factory harness, go to your local stero place and see if there is an adapter whip for the radio, don't cut anything unless you have too, you don't know if you might put a stock one in again.

Tom
Old 01-02-2002, 03:28 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Need electrical wiring id help (Tom McCabe)

That would make sense if the harness is for speakers, or at least most of the wires. I think the wires are the same for both sides of the harness, both coming off the radio and going into the car. I don't have the manual so I really don't know which wires are which. Not even sure if it's still the original wiring.
Looking for the adapter harness is a good idea. Not sure if it'll work because it looks like there was some funny splicing for the rear speakers. I'll be redoing the rear speaker wires anyway because I have a new pair to put back there and the new stereo is wired up for a rear channel.

Thanks for your help guys. I will be away from my computer, so I won't be able to respond for a few days, but I'll come back and check the topic later. Feel free to keep posting.

[Modified by Buffalo Dude, 11:29 PM 1/1/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 01:09 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I'm back, not that anyone missed me :sad:

Anyway, found a wiring diagram for the radio. It shows the original radio only had three wires going into it: gray, black, and yellow. The other wires are as follows: blk & dk green, left speaker; blk, lt green, right speaker, the rest go to convector(6 wires). No sign of the wires I actually found in my car, like red, brown, white, blue, etc. :cry
Just to restate, the radio is not original, it's an aftermarket mitsubishi, of which I have no information.

So maybe I can do a little shortcut. The instructions for the new radio say I can use a 12v test bulb to find an acc lead and a constant pwr lead. And then I can use a AA battery to find matching pairs of wires for speakers. Should I do this? Can I use any bulb or is it supposed to be special? And if I can use something like a night light bulb, what guage wire should I use? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Need electrical wiring id help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need electrical wiring id help