C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relay rod, control valve separation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 10:34 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Relay rod, control valve separation question

I must be missing something because I can't get the control valve off the relay rod.

The entire front suspension and steering are off the car, frame is cleaned and prepped for POR15. While it is drying, I am trying to get all of the steering parts cleaned and start rebuilding the control valve and slave cylinder.

I removed the pinch bolt from the end of the control valve but I still can't get the control valve off. Is there a trick to this, or should I have done this while it was still on the car so that I could use a pickle fork?

I've tried prying it, heating etc...

Next stop, help from the forum. :D:D
Old 01-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Relay rod, control valve separation question (phoenix)

Try laying the controll valve down on a hard surface in a posistion so the relay rod can be tapped with a hammer on its side. Sometimes this will help seperate the two. It works on tie rods and draglinks anyway. Should work for this too if you can get into the right posistion to shock the eye with a hammer.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Swamp Thang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the rod in a vise and use a pickle fork. If it doesn't pop at first, use the fork from the opposite side of the joint.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If I remember correctly, the control valve screws on/off the relay rod. Not easy to do sometimes. I really had to crank on it and had to have my machine shop screw the replacement control valve on since the threads on the relay rod where messed up.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-02-2002, 08:53 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The control valve is screwed onto the relay rod. Remove the pinch bolt then turn the valve counter clockwise with a pipe wrench. A pickle fork will not work. In most cases a pickle fork just destroys boots on anything. I seldom use my fork for anything but taking the rear cross member out.
I found removing the valve from the pitman arm alot harder. Here again they recomment the pickle fork but kiss the boot goodbye.
Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Relay rod, control valve separation question

Quick Reply: Relay rod, control valve separation question