C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Silver Shark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for?

The car has been sitting in a heated garage for 10 years without being started. I plan in the spring to have it trailered to a mechanic who will get it started and assess the general condition of the car. What problems should I look out for once I get it on the road (or before)?
Old 01-01-2002, 09:13 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for? (Silver Shark)

My car sat for 14 years in my brothers garage. The motor was locked up, needing total rebuild. I had to change all brake and fuel line, plus gas tank. Also all of the brake calipers, pads, rotors, and master cylinder. All of the rubber components like bushings in the front and rear end were shot. More than I ever imagined!

Dwayne
Old 01-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for? (BigBlockVette)

mine was sitting in a dry barn for about 10 years.. had to change the carb, fuel filter, 2 calipers, flush the coolant, along with flushing the brake lines. ebrake locked up so that came out.... tranny pan started leakin... rear tires went bald :confused: had to install a new exhaust.. vacuum system.. the list goes on and on.. luckily my engine wasnt siezed up.. but i did blow mine sky high :cry
Old 01-02-2002, 12:33 AM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for? (Silver Shark)

I'm getting my '81 back on the road after giving it a 8 year break. It had a developed a leak where the top radiator hose enters the radiator so I parked it until I could get around to fixing it. Time got away from me and the next time I did anything with it was six years later when I moved. After trailering to the new house I decided to do something with the vette again. First project was the radiator, I got it fixed, replaced all belts and hoses and then went after where MICE had eaten wires. :mad I've got most of my wiring fixed and have fired it up (the old gas is still good enough) and flushed the cooling system several times using prestone brand flush and thier backflush kit followed by berrymans brand of flush flowed by several clear water flushes and finally new antifreeze and distilled water. The gas I have just been using while running. I have put ten more gallons through besides the left overs and I will change the fuel filter and the oil after another 10 gallons of gas.

I have not yet taken it on public roads yet, but have put probably 50 miles on it on the private roads here (I live in a very remote location). Other Than a carb rebuild (which it could have used when it was first parked) I have not found any problems.

I do plan on repaking all the wheel bearings and doing a full lube job (including repacking the u joints) and an oil change but other than that evrything is fine after sitting so long. No oil leaks or brake problems like others have complained of.

If your car was in good shape when you parked it, you should not have any major problems. It may take a few cycles for the headlight to open properly, I had to "help" mine the first few times but after about 10 cycles the open and close as fast as before. If your vette was sitting on the tires in the garage, you should probably replace them as they may have flat spotted to the point where they will not get round again.

One thing you can do for yourself is replace the battery before taking it to the mechanic. Put the new one in yourself, even if you do not try to start it, you will save money over the mechanic doing it.

Good Luck.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for? (gerry c)

Please post some pic's of your 75, I'm sure all of the guys would like to see it.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for?

Quick Reply: Getting my '75 back on the road...what should I look out for?