C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Dash NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 04:34 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Dash NOISE

First...Thanks for the assist in replacing a faulty dimmer switch last week, this forum ROCKS! My interior is pretty much gutted, I thought I had a vacuum leak (high pitched "WHhhheeeee") when the head light switch was on. Later found it is not vacuum as the noise is present with the engine off. I cannot find the source of this annoying noise. Even enlisted my wife and kids...no luck. Any guidence would be most appreciated.....HAPPY NEW YEAR Ya'll :cheers: Oh yah, it's a 77...

[Modified by Geoff1340, 3:37 PM 1/1/2002]
Old 01-01-2002, 04:38 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Under Dash NOISE (Geoff1340)

maybe a sick key beeper??? module plugs in behind and below the headlight switch......
Old 01-01-2002, 04:43 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Default Re: Under Dash NOISE (mrvette)

The interior is gutted and the noise is omni-directional....hell it looks like a spaghetti factory, noise is present any time the headlight switch is operated...even with the key removed...gremlins me thinks
Old 01-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking about the key buzzer. I don't know how it is in a 77, but on my car it's in the horn relay in the side of the engine compartment. It's never been hooked up on My Vette since I've owned the car, but it looks the same as the one in my 68 Camaro (which I DISCONNECTED). You said this was coming from under the dash, which is why I brought that up.

How loud is it? Does it do it whether the door is open or shut? It's it a vacuum leak souding noise or an electronic sounding noise?

Old 01-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Default Re: Under Dash NOISE (Steve Straus)

Definately under the dash area, steering column area, sounded lika a vacuum leak (WHhheeee) to me but I'm near deaf anyway Haha. Door opened or closed makes no difference, I unplugged what I could trying to chase this thing down....Hoses & wiring...I'm stumped...
Old 01-01-2002, 05:10 PM
lou
Racer

There is the maintenance headlight vacuum switch located in the dash right under the steering collum. This switch puts the headlights up without turning the lights on for cleaning and maintenance. If the vacuum line is not disco'd, it can still make the noise you described if the lines are hooked up backwards. This also applies to the headlight switch(lines could be backwards). Also keep in mind that you vacuum system has a reservior. so even though the engine is off, you will still have vacuum for a little while even though the engine is off. lou
Old 01-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Hhaaaaaayyyy!!! I found it !!! There is a module beside the fuse block, disconnected two wires and .... Viola....NO NOISE !!! Sure hope the ejector seat still works...ya never know....
Old 01-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

That's your headlight/seatbelt warning system, the fact that it was buzzing means that it was working properly, It buzzes when the car is on and you're not wearing your seatbelt, or when your car is off and your headlights are on. If you really wanted to disable it remember to always buckle up and turn your lights off when you're done driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Under Dash NOISE

Quick Reply: Under Dash NOISE