C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller cam or XE268 for this engine setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 11:24 AM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roller cam or XE268 for this engine setup?

The engine we're talking about is the engine in my signature. I've decided to get rid of the performer RPM cam, (too much cam for my needs). I want to either go with the XE268 or some sort of roller cam. I don't know anything about roller cams, so any suggestions you guys have would be useful. If I get the roller cam, do I need to use roller lifters? What roller cam/lifters do you specifically recommend (hyd roller, etc.? is there any other kind?) for my setup (I want a good all around cam). Also, can I use roller lifters with the XE268 and would that help at all, (like I said when it comes to roller items, I have no idea what goes with what)? I would really like to put a roller setup in my engine, but if the gain aren't going to be worth the money, then I'll just go with the hydraulic or whatever the XE268 is. Is it worth the money to go with roller? I already have a true roller timing chain and roller rockers. What do you all think, I know a little bit about cams and their specs, but I really would appreciate your guys' help. Thanks
Old 01-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: roller cam or XE268 for this engine setup? (TravMsns)

You have to use roller lifters with a roller cam. They go together. For your combo I would stick with the XE268. A lot of guys are running this and seem to like it. A roller setup is about 1K more. The cams are about 250 the lifters are about 250 then you need heavy springs and usually a different distributor gear. Alos you need a cam thrust button on the timing chain cover to limit cam walk. As you can see there is more involved than just slipping the cam in. Unless you are going lots of HP or lots of rpm I would stick with your original decision.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:10 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: roller cam or XE268 for this engine setup? (Gordonm)

I run a roller cam in my motor. It does help reduce valvetrain friction, allows for faster valve actuation. A roller does allow one to gain more power by running a bigger cam profile with less overlap, due to the fact that you can open and close the valves much faster. In a flat tappet situation you are limited to the rate at which you can accelerate a valve due to the angle of attack on teh cam lobe by the lifter itself. With a roller it really doesn't matter. You do need to run some pretty monster springs as there is a bit more inertia behind the lifter/pushrod combo and you do not want to float the valves on a roller motor, I have seen a roller cam that had the tips of its lobed chewed off by the roller lifter. Finally a roller cam has a greatly reduced chance of going flat, you have reduced that metal on metal pressure. They are not cheap, sound like a sewing machine at idle, but I will not go back to a regulat cam setup after switching to a roller.

Get notified of new replies

To roller cam or XE268 for this engine setup?

Quick Reply: roller cam or XE268 for this engine setup?