C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing and a 6AL box

Old 01-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Timing and a 6AL box

I got a advance timing lite the other day and tested the vette.
It said I was 22 int and 35 advance at 2500. I do have small lopy cam but it was in the motor when I got it.
Is the timing lite right or are those numbers wrong?
It starts and runs perfect everytime.
Also would a MSD 6AL box be worth the trouble of hooking up?
I have HEI and a Accel super coil.Are the quik wire connects a good purchase at $28 bucks.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Timing and a 6AL box (Tim H)

22 initial sounds like a lot but the 35 total is not bad. Most small blocks are around 12 to 14 initial with about 36 to 38 total. If you have an HEI and a fairly stock motor the MSD will not help HP. It helps on cold starting and firing bad plugs but if your system is in good shape don't expect any HP. I have one on my car and think it is great so I'm not downplaying them at all. If you have it try it and see.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:01 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Timing and a 6AL box (Gordonm)

The MSD boxes make multiple sparks, about 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation, up to 3000 rpm. I think that helps the burn and gas mileage.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

the typical timing light with any multi spark ignition will be all over the map on firing....meaningless readings....have to go back to original type ignition, set timing, then change over to MSD/etc.....

of course doing it by ear is also acceptable....;-)))

I personally don't see any performance differance with multi spark ignitions, UNLESS engine is running rich at idle.....then it helps fire all that extra gasoline........otherwise, it's a waste of time/money....

GENE
Old 01-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Default Re: Timing and a 6AL box (mrvette)

I dought my igntion is burning all the gas of the double pumper.
So if I get just alittle better burn out of it that would be worth it,plus I think it would look good under the hood!
Will A msd 6A burn up plug wires or the modual in the distiutor?
Also do I need to by the special plug for $28 bucks or will this thing plug right up to the HEI and accel coil?

[Modified by Tim H, 5:48 PM 1/1/2002]
Old 01-01-2002, 07:52 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing with my new dialback light I got for Christmas. My initial showed 18 and the curve was all messed up. I did it agin the next day and the initial was 14 and the curve was right. I think my weights were sticking and not returning to initial after the rpms had been raised. You may want to see if thats happening to you with all that initial you have.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:48 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Try disconnecting the vacuum advance hose & capping off the port when you set the timing.
Also - make sure it's hooked up to the right port - no vac signal at idle.
I have an MSD 6T. 3 years and no problems yet.

[Modified by 71coupe, 7:56 PM 1/1/2002]
Old 01-02-2002, 06:33 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Default Re: Timing and a 6AL box (71coupe)

You hit the nail on the head about the right port for the vacuum,but I have mine hooked up in the right port but I put a BB in the line cause i use a weight kit to make it mechanical.
Did you use the 12-8876 connector to hook it to the dist?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:48 AM
Apeiron
Advanced

Default Re: Timing and a 6AL box (mrvette)

"the typical timing light with any multi spark ignition will be all over the map on firing....meaningless readings....have to go back to original type ignition, set timing, then change over to MSD/etc....."

The "typical timing light" works just fine.

[Modified by Apeiron, 4:51 AM 1/2/2002]
Old 01-02-2002, 12:42 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Default Re: Timing and a 6AL box (Apeiron)

The guys that explained that the MSD discharges 3 spark pulses from idle to a little over 3,000RPM's explained exactly how the MSD works. My uncle and Dad have found that 60's GTO's virtually require an MSD box to burn the poor fuel being sold today to elimate plug fowling and to run correctly. I use them and like them. We typically don't pay over $25 for an MSD box at the swap meets we go to. I bought two for $15 at the MAple Grove Raceway swap meet 2 months ago, so they are cheap and usually don't go bad. But, the day I needed to be at the alignment shop in 20 minutes, my 73 took a dump and left me sitting. I worked for 3 hours on it until I had to have it towed home. After I had replaced the coil, the Pertronix Ignitor, cap, and done tons of diagnostic work, I determined that my 6A box was the culprit. It was a few years old, though not used very much. This is the only MSD box I have heard about that has gone bad. Great product, but I wouldn't buy a new one for $100+, I would take my chances on a few cheap swap meet boxes first. MSD has great tech support and will send you the wiring diagram if you contact them.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing and a 6AL box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing and a 6AL box