C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 07:09 AM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function.

Hey guys can anyone recommend a good distributor that will give me maximal performance, while still allowing me to use my tach? Any brands, tips and info would be most appreciated! Oh yeah... it's for a 73 350 engine.

Thanks Guys.

Michael.

[Modified by luvmy73, 5:10 AM 1/1/2002]
Old 01-01-2002, 07:37 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (luvmy73)

Being the cheap guy that I am I would use the stock distributor and put a conversion kit in it for electronic control, like the Mallory Unilite. Have it rebuilt with new bushings. Honestly, points work great if you don't mind being under the hood once in a while.
Had I just robbed a bank I would be spending the money on an MSD distributor.
P/N 8572 with vacuum advance
P/N 8571 without vacuum advance
Both have tach drives and must be used with an MSD control box.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:05 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (1979toy)

i just got the msd billet tach drive dist, with msd 6a box and love it.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (pats406nitrovette)

I'm in the cheap variety also. Using stock distributor and hooked up to a Crane HI6 unit. I use a set of heavy duty points to trigger the unit and it performs flawless to 7000 rpm. I do like the MSD units.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:13 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (Gordonm)

I had Lars recurve my distributor and he put the points back in it. (I had a mallory unilite in it) Price was alot better than changing to an MSD system.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I gotta agree with all those choices...just watch out the ignitorII by Pertonix..I am running points and the car is running great on my 74
Old 01-01-2002, 11:33 AM
1RED1
Instructor

I'm running the MSD dist.without vac.adv.MSD HEI style cap,MSD 8.5 wires and MSD 6al box.There is the question of money MSD is not cheap
If your are running a stock motor or close to stock I see nothing wrong with
using the stock dist.but I would have if rebuilt so it works like it did when it
was new
Old 01-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (Alwyn678)

With all due respect to other members opinions, I am using the Pertronix IgnitorII for over a year without any problems whatsoever. Allthough, I did recieve a bad ignitor from the vendor the first time around. With the bad ignitor, the dist would not provide spark at all. I sent it back for another and have had no problems with it. It is a very cost effective way to convert a stock tach drive dist to electronic triggering. With performance in mind, its very important with any distributor, to set up the advance curve for best performance.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (Jvette73)

With all due respect to other members opinions, I am using the Pertronix IgnitorII for over a year without any problems whatsoever. Allthough, I did recieve a bad ignitor from the vendor the first time around. With the bad ignitor, the dist would not provide spark at all. I sent it back for another and have had no problems with it. It is a very cost effective way to convert a stock tach drive dist to electronic triggering. With performance in mind, its very important with any distributor, to set up the advance curve for best performance.

I am glad yours is doing well.......However how can u say that you have not had problems if you got a bad unit right off the get go?? My ignitor II lasted about 2k and died and I decided that points will stay in the car from now on. Good luck with your unit however if I do decide to change I would go with a Mallory unit or and MSD Billet tach drive unit

[Modified by Alwyn678, 10:50 AM 1/1/2002]
Old 01-01-2002, 11:59 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

I can tell you this Alwyn678, as long as I have been messing with cars, if I were to boycott every manufacturer that has ever sent me a defective part, I would have no aftermarket parts on my car. I respect your opinion but remember, opinions are like A-holes, and everyone has their own. Im not being argumenitive here. Just stating my own opinion.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:02 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

I can tell you this Alwyn678, as long as I have been messing with cars, if I were to boycott every manufacturer that has ever sent me a defective part, I would have no aftermarket parts on my car. I respect your opinion but remember, opinions are like A-holes, and everyone has their own. Im not being argumenitive here. Just stating my own opinion.
Same here.....I hate arguing...
Old 01-01-2002, 12:49 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

This comes up a lot. It's not to be an arguement, just work with the facts available. If 10 members here reported on their Ignitor2 results, and 7 had problems, the odds are not favorable to use one.

Happy New Year all :) :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-01-2002, 02:29 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I recommend the MSD TAch Drive and associated box

I struggled with this for years and was just too cheap to just do it. The distributor comes with Vacuum Advance AND Tach Drive. It's built like a dream too. It probably helped that I already had the MSD 6A so I didn't have to buy it all at the same time.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:31 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

I don't know abought this fancy high priced stuff. I went to the wrekers pulled a GM HEI unit paid $25.00 cleaned-up installed new cap and roter and it works perfect. As far as the Tach goes I bought a very small aftermarket tach installed on the steering colume can't see it I used just for setting and monitoring Idle.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function. (73-454)

Here is something to consider if converting to Pertronix. The points can be put back in in about 20mins if needed. I carry in the car, in a ziplock baggie: a set of points and condenser, a two foot piece of 14 guage wire, and the two screws that originally hold the roter to the dist shaft. If the Ignitor ever does fail, grab a screwdriver and a mini 1/4" nut driver set. In 20mins, yur back on the road. Although ive never had to do this, lets see you do that with an MSD. Im not an opponent of the MSD, they are nice, but expensive. With the Pertronix, I believe the ability to convert back on a momments notice, is an added bonus.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:31 PM
69classchass
Advanced

I installed the MSD Probillet/wtachdrive and 6a module It made a huge difference with efficiency and power on my 330hp SB. Pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Heres some preinstall pics of it and how to set it up.. http://www.weavermill.com/dist/dist.htm

Probillet Install Pics.. http://www.weavermill.com/dist/installdist.htm

6a module install.. http://www.weavermill.com/dist/ignit.htm

TC

Old 01-01-2002, 07:08 PM
rainman69
Drifting

I quite enjoy my MSD setup. When I get my exhaust taken care of, the next thing is the computerized ignition controller...that is software controlled via a laptop... :D

But, right now, I have a MSD Billet (Tach Drive), 6AL, Blaster 2 coil (I need the tall tower adapter, it's arcing from the secondary back to the primary), and ACCEL 8.8 spiral race wires.

When I got it running with the new dist, and not even fully timed (like Lars suggests) it now screams over 3000 RPM...just wonderful. There was a definite seat of the pants change for the better, which means at least 5 HP gained. Oh, and the stock setup I removed (except plug wires) was completely factory, including the original (correct date coded) distributor, the original (correct date code) coil, and the original distributor cap.

The MSD just works soooo nice... :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function.

Quick Reply: Which Distributor? Need performace and tach function.