C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:23 AM
Magnum '82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle removal

Anybody have any neat little tricks for removing the door handles? Power mirrors too for that matter.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:49 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Door handle removal (Magnum '82)

You're going to love doing the mirrors.
Lower the window
Remove the inner door panel
Remove the felt pads for the window
Use a wedge to hold the glass away from the body side of the window channel
See the nuts? Use whatever you've got to access them. I used a U-joint socket from Snap-on.
When you get the mirror and mount assy off of the car you can get to the screws that hold the mirror head to the stalk.
The door handle is a walk in the park
Raise the window
Socket and extension to access the nuts on the handle
Before you start these jobs you may want to gather up some replacement parts. New felt anti rattle pads, handle and mirror gaskets, and window seal.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:31 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Door handle removal (Magnum '82)

Well, I haven't worked on an 82 but have done a few of the 68-77's and I don't think there's much difference. The outside handle is held by 2 nuts, one of which looks almost impossible to reach. The first time I did this I reached up in there with an offset wrench(7/16) and it took forever.. Then I started to remove the door latch assembly and it's a piece of cake! Plus with the latch out it gives you a chance to spray it down with carb or brake cleaner and relube it with white grease. Adjust the throw on the outside handle and you back in business. Note: when adjusting the throw, do it with the door open so it doesn't jam up if it's shut.
Good Luck, take your time and you'll do OK.
Gary
PS sorry I don't have experience with the mirror :rolleyes:
Old 01-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Door handle removal (gtr1999)

I removed the door glass on my 80 to get mirrors off. It's only two nuts and it's not as hard as ya think to do. I wanted to clean the glass/tracks and tint the windows anyway. Both above methods are good though. It's just a little easier to get mirrors off. When removing handles, I removed just the bottom clip on the handle-rod and pulled it out as a whole. Makes for a simpler removal/install and less of a chance of loosing the little pesty clips. :eek: Good Luck!! L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To Door handle removal

Quick Reply: Door handle removal