Got a new toy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got a new toy!

Ill probably be asked to turn in my SCMR membership card for this but I just got this yesterday.

Unfortunately it has a speed governor set to 155 MPH. But still it is a lot of fun. My son took me down to pick it up in his (previously mine) corvette and we played a bit of freeway tag coming back on the 91. This car has some surprising legs. It is a hardtop convertible that electrically retracts into the trunk. So when do i get the bums rush? lol
Old 08-10-2008, 01:11 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-10-2008, 02:04 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Really nice for a chick car . . .

Old 08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Really nice for a chick car . . .

+ 1

Just go ahead and turn in your man card already
Old 08-10-2008, 06:47 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice car, but not for me.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:22 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

O.K. it's fixed now so you can get a modified SCMR membership card.

Last edited by pcfred; 08-10-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

This is going to sound really lame but I have arthritis so bad getting in and out of the vette was nothing but grief the last couple years. But I still have that need for speed so I had been shopping for a CTS-V for some time. Then totally by accident I saw an SL at a car lot at a ridiculously low price. After some research it seems that sales for most of the luxo or sports cars are very soft right now. Ive been an American car guy all my life and I sure didnt see this coming. But hey I have been a member here a long time and knew the grief I would catch.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pcfred
O.K. it's fixed now so you can get a modified SCMR membership card.
Thats not too bad looking actually.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

When you decide you want to wear your ball sack again, I'm guessing you'll know what you need to do...
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Only Mercedes I owned was donated to father Joe...
Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 AM
teds427
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the SLK bought one in 98 for the little woman

We liked it so well bought her the new body style in 05 for Christmas.

Enjoy your new ride,
Ted
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

I have one of those.

I've led a few Hill Country runs with a bunch of C5/C6 drivers following me. The Vettes may beat me in the straights, but get into the twisties and I show 'em a thing or two! Let's just say there's now a lot of respect for my SLK around these parts...

Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkHalo
Ill probably be asked to turn in my SCMR membership card for this but I just got this yesterday.

You can always borrow your son's car for the next SCMR run.

Will someone page Rocco16? What ever happened to Larry?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave68
You can always borrow your son's car for the next SCMR run.
Y'all head up into the mountains and let him lead. That SLK will show you a thing or two!

But seriously folks, the one of the best runs we had around here included an SLK (me), a Lotus Elise, a Mazdaspeed MX-5, 2 ZR-1's, a C3 with a 502 mountain motor, assorted C4's, C5's and C6's...plus a couple of other cars I can no longer remember. There was even a Cadillac Deville that surprised everyone! Variety is the spice of life.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Dave68
Race Director

First off, SCMRs are Corvette runs, not wannabe runs! Gumball ralleys? Sure, but NOT SCMRs!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

First off, SCMRs are Corvette runs, not wannabe runs! Gumball ralleys? Sure, but NOT SCMRs!
Heres a thought...maybe ask the guys that INVENTED the SCMR's?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

No reply Dave? Just to refesh your memory it was Rocco16 and myself that started the SCMR's.

There were even a number of times other cars joined in while we were still taking part in them. I remember leading an SCMR (I also led the very first SCMR) on the Ortega Highway from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano and there was a couple of Carerras along. I saw a lot of pics later with Vipers mixed in the herd.

But thats all right. If you cant see it in your heart to accept a member with 6 years at CF trying something new, oh well. The guys over at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/ have a bit more tolerance. I got quite the warm welcome from them even after I mentioned I was a vette guy too.

Get notified of new replies

To Got a new toy!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by page62
I have one of those.

I've led a few Hill Country runs with a bunch of C5/C6 drivers following me. The Vettes may beat me in the straights, but get into the twisties and I show 'em a thing or two! Let's just say there's now a lot of respect for my SLK around these parts...

Wish you were closer dood. Id love to carve some canyons with you. Im still getting to know my new ride and am constantly surprised at what a really good sports car it is.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by DarkHalo
No reply Dave? Just to refesh your memory it was Rocco16 and myself that started the SCMR's.

There were even a number of times other cars joined in while we were still taking part in them. I remember leading an SCMR (I also led the very first SCMR) on the Ortega Highway from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano and there was a couple of Carerras along. I saw a lot of pics later with Vipers mixed in the herd.

But thats all right. If you cant see it in your heart to accept a member with 6 years at CF trying something new, oh well. The guys over at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/ have a bit more tolerance. I got quite the warm welcome from them even after I mentioned I was a vette guy too.
Darkman,

I joined in shortly after you guys started the runs. After quite a few, I recall being behind you when your son got sick as a passenger. Yep, I've been on many an SCMR! Larry ended up leading most of them when you stopped coming. During that time, we had a vote to see if everyone wanted the SCMR to be a free-for-all ride and Larry himself mentioned that these runs were started by Corvette people and should continue to be for Vette people. At the same time, the C&C group was forming and because they mix and match on their runs, Larry didn't feel bad about saying that the SCMRs are for Corvettes. I remember it well because I had inquired as to whether other groups of sport cars could join. A coworker belonged to a Mustang Cobra group and they were interested in tagging along.
Of course, the roads are free and I would never make any non-Corvette driver feel unwanted. I just wanted to know how the group felt about it. Hey, it's not your fault that you can't drive your C4 anymore; being a Corvette person is kinda like being a Marine - once a Corvette person, always a Corvette person.

Now my question is.......What happened to Larry?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Darkman,

I joined in shortly after you guys started the runs. After quite a few, I recall being behind you when your son got sick as a passenger. Yep, I've been on many an SCMR! Larry ended up leading most of them when you stopped coming. During that time, we had a vote to see if everyone wanted the SCMR to be a free-for-all ride and Larry himself mentioned that these runs were started by Corvette people and should continue to be for Vette people. At the same time, the C&C group was forming and because they mix and match on their runs, Larry didn't feel bad about saying that the SCMRs are for Corvettes. I remember it well because I had inquired as to whether other groups of sport cars could join. A coworker belonged to a Mustang Cobra group and they were interested in tagging along.
Of course, the roads are free and I would never make any non-Corvette driver feel unwanted. I just wanted to know how the group felt about it. Hey, it's not your fault that you can't drive your C4 anymore; being a Corvette person is kinda like being a Marine - once a Corvette person, always a Corvette person.

Now my question is.......What happened to Larry?
Its not a matter of 'can't' drive the vette anymore. My son tells me all the time I can have it any time I want. Its more a matter of 'been there done that, time to move on'.

I restored a classic '72 El Camino before I got the vette. I drove a way cool '90 Reatta for a year after giving the vette to my son. I gave the Reatta to another son just today.

Now I have a grown ups toy. Its fun, VERY comfortable and will carve canyons as good as a vette. No, it doesnt have the low end grunt of a vette but on the freeways it is likely to walk away from most corvettes.

If you have not driven an SLK320 you would not believe how hard it pulls. The only other car I have been in that sets me back as hard in the seat was a friends Shelby Mustang back in the early '70's.

I dont know what its top end really is as it has a governor that kicks in at 155. Thats only 6000 RPM for it btw and is noticably faster than my ZF6 C4 was. It has a lot of pedal it could use after that.

Dave, Im not wanting to flame ya dood. Im just asking you to take off the blinders my friend.

Quick Reply: Got a new toy!