Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has drilled out around their foglights to let more air in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
robertlthomson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also drilled mine for more "cooler" air over a year ago. Have not noticed an increase in dirt. Took a 1" drill and ended up with 5 holes in each side. Hardly even noticable.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)

My question: Is there a noticable change in engine temperature at normal operating range? Intead of running 190 or so, does it run a little cooler?
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To decrease the temps on my blown LS6 I installed a heat extractor hood and cut out the entire area next to the fogs. I also replaced my radiator with an aluminum DeWitts unit, including twin SPAL fans (mounted on a custom shroud), along with an integrated engine oil cooler (fabricated by ECS). I also added a B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler with its own 9.5" SPAL fan.

This combo lowered my temps across the board (coolant, oil and trans) significantly.

You can see the intercooler through the openings.

P.S. I purchased the black mesh grills that fit into those openings with double-sided tape and I didn't like the look. So, if you are interested in them, PM me with an offer. I think they cost around $148 + shipping ("C5 RaceMesh Fog Light Grilles / Black Powder Coated"). They were used for about a month and you'll need to use new double sided tape to install them.

Last edited by digivex; 08-12-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added info about the race mesh grills
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I need to do this. My stocker runs a little warm.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by digivex
To decrease the temps on my blown LS6 I installed a heat extractor hood and cut out the entire area next to the fogs. I also replaced my radiator with an aluminum DeWitts unit, including twin SPAL fans (mounted on a custom shroud), along with an integrated engine oil cooler (fabricated by ECS). I also added a B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler with its own 9.5" SPAL fan.

This combo lowered my temps across the board (coolant, oil and trans) significantly.

You can see the intercooler through the openings.

P.S. I purchased the black mesh grills that fit into those openings with double-sided tape and I didn't like the look. So, if you are interested in them, PM me with an offer. I think they cost around $148 + shipping ("C5 RaceMesh Fog Light Grilles / Black Powder Coated"). They were used for about a month and you'll need to use new double sided tape to install them.

Good lawd that hood looks sweet!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is the engine dirt situation actually like?

JC
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brewcity Marc
You do this why??? Just curious and thanks! Marc
Heat soak issues that are not likely to effect a street driven near stock car where the weather isn't too crazy. If you look on the FI board people are having all kinds of heating issues in the warm states. This is a lot cheaper first step than upgrading rad and fans or adding meth, altho you also see this kind of thing done as a supplement to other cooling improvements.
I had a stock C5Z before my FI car and I would not have considered this mod for example.
If I open my hood on a 90 degree day the engine compartment is an oven because of the extra heat generated by the blower. more airflow cools everything down, in addition to the intake charge, but there has to be a heating issue to begin with.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

i drilled a hole in each [along side foglight] 1 1/4 then ran shop vac hose [2] up to z 06 air cleaner
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
BUGZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
I took out the plastic shroud on mine and put in Z06 screens.
Same here....engine compartment does not seem dirtier.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Wop1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nuck
I am not sure you can expect any change in a car other than preventing the drop in performance when the engine compartment heats up. It is a lot more pronounced issue on FI cars, but I honestly don't expect any improvement on a cool engine.
I'm not sure either, but I opened mine up for just this reason. I did see some gain from the Blackwing and the cut outs done at the same time, but it's hard to put it on the cut outs. Can't hurt, and the heat relief has to help in general. Just used a 1" spade bit, 2 holes in each side about 2" apart, opened it up and cleaned up the cuts with a dremel tool. On a cool night it is noticeable at the drag strip.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
vett79
Racer

Did you guys drill out on the car or remove them first? I'm not sure how steady my hand is........
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Wop1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vett79
Did you guys drill out on the car or remove them first? I'm not sure how steady my hand is........
On the car, not too tough and it actually came out OK. You can't see it unless you're well away from the car, and then only in the right light. I did measure and mark the centers before I drilled the 1" holes. Just used the dremel citting wheel to cut out the centers, then a sanding drum to smooth the cuts. EZ
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
C5Vette168
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I drilled holes in mine with them on the car. I don't notice any more dirt. I used hole reinforcement labels to mark the holes on the shroud before I drilled. I'll post pics of the results later.

Here's a pic....

Last edited by C5Vette168; 08-13-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

So what is behind the plastic? When I did the plate insert I found a single wire twist behind which was easy to move, and some panel material blocking the upper corners. Is there wiring? How far back is the area I want to stop short of?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 AM
C5Vette168
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

When I drilled the holes, I backed the drill bit out once I broke the surface.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

mine have a lattice pattern similar to the c6 z06.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 AM
IDM
Le Mans Master

I used a soldering iron about a week ago to do mine. Just poke a hole through with it and then hold it in place until it cuts out the shape you want. Cut out everything I could except what surrounds the foglights. The SC was just baking the engine bay before. I never saw anyone do it, It just seemed logical, it's the perfect place for air to go through to the intake and to clear out heat soak as the car is moving. I expect great results but have not driven the car yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has drilled out around their foglights to let more air in?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 AM
WildTurkey
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
mine have a lattice pattern similar to the c6 z06.

That looks REAL nice!!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nuck
So what is behind the plastic? When I did the plate insert I found a single wire twist behind which was easy to move, and some panel material blocking the upper corners. Is there wiring? How far back is the area I want to stop short of?
There are wire looms that pass through behind both spots but if you are careful you should be fine. If I didn't hit it with a soldering iron that I kept on each side for 10 minutes, you shouldnt have a problem with a drill!

I could stick my hand through the holes and touch the intake so the implications are exciting.
I expect lower intake temps at a stop and significantly lower while moving, with less heat soak
Have pfyc grills that will go in place to hide the cutout area.

Last edited by IDM; 08-15-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

So here is phase one. Bought a $20 hole saw kit and went to town. I blacked out the LP inset because I didn't want things showing through the mesh. I am quite stoked about this. The LP holes will bring air flow right over the MAF and airbridge and out the hood vent. Went with three equal size holes in the fog lamp slots and this should move some air out of the engine compartment. I wasn't going to do the fog lamp slots until I got the mesh done but I want to dyno her as soon as the weather gets below 90 degrees and they aren't too obvious.

The mesh product is not the Z06 type but close enough. My pic shows the first failed attempt at the 416 Rigby mod. Not easy product to work with but I bought lots

I did use an automotive high gloss black but did not prep the painted area Wish me luck there Thanks to all who responded.
Name:  DSC00786.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  618.2 KB

Name:  DSC00787.JPG
Views: 1473
Size:  571.6 KB

Name:  DSC00788.JPG
Views: 2315
Size:  523.6 KB

Name:  DSC00789.JPG
Views: 3505
Size:  620.8 KB

Last edited by nuck; 08-17-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has drilled out around their foglights to let more air in?