C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 08:38 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED

Thanks to the Bubba who owned the car before me, the balancer fell off as I was driving the other night. Luckily it did not damage anything else, BUT the main center bolt hole is stripped and the 7/16ths will not fit in there. What steps do I take to making it a 1/2 and is this possible or am I "crank" out of luck? :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :cry
Old 12-31-2001, 08:46 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED (mrbeaubo)

mrbeaubo,

The same thing happened to me on my Ford 302 of my '68 Mustang. You will have to tap the hole and make new threads......... Have someone you trust do it if you can. You probably could have it done while the car is on a lift....See if you can get a machine shop you trust take care of it....

Bob

Good luck
Old 12-31-2001, 08:54 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED (Bob Turner)

I had the same thing happen on an 88 IROC. I come to find that the orginial bolt did not use all of the threads. I mean that the threaded hole is deeper than the orginial bolt. I ran a tap the same size to clean up and bought a longer bolt and used the red locktite and worked like a champ. Drove motor hard for two years before I sold it to buy the Vette.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:19 PM
LT1man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you get it tapped and repaired, I would suggest placing a large (1/4" thick) washer in the center of the pulley (on top of the pulley) before inserting the crank bolt. In ohter words, secure the pulley with the three bolts into the balancer then place the washer over the center hole before inserting the crank bolt. Older high hp vettes (high rpm) had this feature to keep the balancer from working its way off the crank. Maybe your vette already has this? I just purchased one from the local gm dealer for my LT-1. The old one was rusted.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:55 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED (LT1man)

Bubba didn't even have a bolt and I didn't realize it until the balancer fell off.... ;(
Old 12-31-2001, 10:06 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Cedar Park... I know where that is! Anyway, I was the bubba when I sunk my puller shaft into the threaded hole when I pulled the balancer. Bummer. I ended up laying across the front of that car for a few evenings drilling out the hole and tapping to 3/8 I believe. The steel of that crank sure is hard. Bottom line... not a biggie. I asked the machine shop if they would do it and they said pull the engine and bring it too them... no thanks. Consider this bonding with your vette.

Hook-Em!

[Modified by Carl in LA, 8:08 PM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 10:13 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED (Carl in LA)

I'm just south of Dallas. How exactly do I go about drilling out the hole? Whats the best tap to use? Etc. Thanks ;)
Old 01-01-2002, 05:32 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I warned you.
Sorry to hear it's a mess, Now fix it right, or we will get your name changed to BUBBA.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED

Quick Reply: HELP! Harmonic Balancer/Crank Bolt Hole STRIPPED