C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised.

Old 12-31-2001, 06:14 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised.

Just an update to my ongoing project. I have the Edelbrock RPM package for a chevy 350 ( http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/7101pp.html ) and it is really running well now. This past weekend I ran a 13.5 1/4 mile and that was on my street tires. I may be able to knock off another .1 or so with my drag radials. I just wanted to let everyone know that this package is well worth the money to liven up those stock engines. I have seen a few posts lately about the cam being old technology and there is much better out there now, but I don't have any of the problems that folks are talking about (poor idle, poor vacuum). I think that this is a great package for anyone who doesn't know much about engines and wants a well put together, matched set of components to put on an engine to make it run very strong. As far as poor idle, I idle right at 720 RPM and IT SOUNDS GREAT, my car is what hot rods are supposed to sound like at idle. As far as poor vacuum goes, my car doesn't hold vacuum, I have so many vacuum leaks it isn't funny. When I turn the car off, the headlights must be down because they aren't moving one half second after the engine is shut off. BUT, as soon as the engine is started, I can pop the headlights right up. If the vacuum was really that bad for that cam it wouldn't be like that. Just wanted to pass on a little info on my experiences with this setup.

[Modified by Maurice, 10:38 AM 1/1/2002]
Old 12-31-2001, 08:37 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised. (Maurice)

Hey Maurice,

I just bought an engine with the RPM package installed, I haven't installed it in my vette yet, but I guess the only thing I'm debating on swapping out is the cam, the RPM cam seems like it has a little bit too much duration. What I'm worried about is the low RPM power, I want to make sure it's not gonna be a dog down low. Does it still yield power down low, or does it bog. I just want to make sure I can beat my buddies or anyone else who challenges me at red lights or at the strip. Does the RPM cam supply adequate launch power, or should I swap it out?
Old 12-31-2001, 08:38 PM
AFunderJack81
Advanced

Sounds interesting. :cheers:
Old 12-31-2001, 09:07 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised. (TravMsns)

What I'm worried about is the low RPM power, I want to make sure it's not gonna be a dog down low. Does it still yield power down low, or does it bog.
That was a good question that I wanted to cover but forgot and left out. I have a 3.08 rearend which doesn't help out with the low end power at all. I just switched to a 2500 stall from a stock stall and that was the kick that I needed for the lower end power. With the stock stall, there wasn't anything I could do to get the wheels to spin. Now from a complete stop, with the 3.08 rearend, just hitting the gas all the way will spin them. My 60' times at the track have been right around 2.10 which is decent for that rearend. I am planning on putting in a 4.56 rearend for a little while, just for 1/4 mile runs and I expect to be running very high 12's with sub 2.0 60' times. The combo is definately meant for your midrange power though. With my stock stall converter I was pulling 2.4ish 60' times and many cars would get a 1-2 car length lead, but that just makes it that much more exciting blowing by them at the 1/8th mile :D With all of that being said, I don't have a low end bog, (less of a low end bog now than I did with my stock motor in place).
Old 01-01-2002, 10:13 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

good choice Maurice....one more for the RPM followers...
congrats on your times...
I love mine too...one of these days I will make a small video clip with the
sound of my engine....its ground-shaking isnt it?
I have a 3.70 on the way, but right now I am still loving mine with the 3.08.
my engine is so mean, I just dont know how to describe it.....I also have a
gear drive in mine...and listening to the thing idle makes the adrenaline rush through my body....

good choice.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:06 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm using Performer RPM oval ports and Pro flo EFI from Edelbrock, no driving experience yet :confused: , but engine has been fired up couple of times and it seems to work better than ever!
Old 01-01-2002, 11:45 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised. (groovyjay)

I've been saying all along that I've been pleased with the RPM cam, but with the recent talks it's had me wondering if I should maybe look into a cam swap :confused: . I love the idle sound from the RPM cam and if I was to change cams it would be for a roller which I don't have $1000 to spend on at this time anyhow. I had 3.55's with this cam and the car ran strong with the 4 spd, I now have 3.90's which are a blast but I'll be installing an O/D this spring for the highways ;) .

The midrange is VERY strong compared to the low powerband & this in evident when someone see a video of me autocrossing and the backend getting loose as the RPMs go up :D !
Old 01-01-2002, 04:07 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised.

One thing that many seem to forget about the parts package is that the cam is supposedly optimized to the flow characteristics of the heads & intake manifold. Just on specs alone, the cam may look too big, but when used with the matched parts, complimentary parts use each other to bring out the best performance.

I think part of the bad rap that this cam gets is from improper valve adjustments. They use anti pump-up lifters. These lifters are very sensitive to proper adjustment.

Maurice, your time slips say it all. I was skeptical at first, especially with your gearing. But either that package works or you're just a super tuner! You be the judge :D
Old 01-01-2002, 10:29 PM
compuvette
Racer

I am putting the Edelbrock RPM heads on my '84. The build quality of the heads is spectacular. They are already setup for .575" lift cams, have tulip stainless valves and guide plates. They also come with rocker studs. It is nice putting on a set of heads and not having to think about all the accessories to make them "good" heads. They are already there.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised.

I am glad others are also getting good results out of their edelbrock products also. I agree that some of the bad rap comes from the valve adjustment, I know it took me forever to get it right. I think that letting the engine run while adjusting the the best way (only way) to set the anti pump up lifters.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:51 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

How much is this kit?????

Bob
Old 01-02-2002, 07:04 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised. (76 Red)

From the Jegs Web site - the main components

350-6089 Performer RPM, Straight Plugs, 64cc, Complete, (pair) $ 934.99
350-7102 Cam $ 137.99
350-7101 SB-Chevy 262-400, Squarebore $ 124.99

[Modified by Maurice, 1:05 PM 1/2/2002]
Old 01-02-2002, 07:12 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Maurice
Are you running a 2 or 4 bolt main??? Also did you buy a new carb? Edlebrock 750??

The reason I ask is I have the 350 4 bolt main out of my 80 (car has been parted) I am thinking about building that motor and putting it in come summer. I have been toying with the ideal of the RPM kit. Put it in the 80 engine and continue running my 76 2 bolt until I finish. But Xmas was expensive this year and I have a guy that wants to buy the 4 bolt main from me. I may sell it and just build my 76 motor.

Thanks
Bob
Old 01-02-2002, 09:09 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised. (76 Red)

I am running a 4 bolt main, and I am running a Carter 750 carb which I think is same as edelbrock carb. I have toyed around with a Holley 750, but it is VERY tempermental (meaning I don't know how to adjust it correctly). I do not know how a 2 bolt main would hold up. I am sure someone will let us know the highest HP a 2 bolt main should stand up to.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edelbrock RPM Package - It is as good as advertised.