C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 03:06 PM
love to drive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Actuator

Has anyone replaced the headlight actuator rod seal on their vette? I have a '77 and I found a leak on my passenger side actuator at the seal. Is this a difficult job? I've only found 4 bolts so far and they aren't that easy to get to. Also, once I have the actuator off...is the seal easy to replace?

Thanks,
Ted
Old 12-31-2001, 03:12 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Headlight Actuator (love to drive)

I've done both sides in my '77...Its pretty easy...the best way to get the actuators out is through the top, but the hood should be removed, or at least covered with something to prevent scratching(its a tight fit with the hood on)...They can be dropped out the bottom, but the relays and horn need to be removed, and you basically have to literally drop it, and hope it falls through, if not you'll have to move it around until it does fall through(not the way I suggest doing it)...

If you have help, score the hood around the henges, and the support, then unbolt and remove the hood, this is the better way, but you need help and have to be careful with the hood.

Once the actuator is out, its simple to replace the seal...There are only 4 bolts to remove the actuator, and a ratchet with a long extension makes easy work of them(coming from the bottom). Zip's website has a good section on how to remove the actuator, and replace the seal...someone will chime in with the URL I hope...

Daniel
Old 12-31-2001, 03:16 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Headlight Actuator (daniel77350)

VERY DO ABLE. Get a kit from one fo the vendors, comes with instructions.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:20 PM
love to drive
Instructor

Default Re: Headlight Actuator (71,454,4spd)

Thanks for the posts guys...I'm ordering the seal today so I can get it in before school starts up again. I'll try and find that Zip how-to for some extra help.

Thanks again,
Ted
Old 12-31-2001, 03:27 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlight Actuator (love to drive)

I replaced both of mine in my '75 and it took me about 30 min on each side. I removed the nuts from the top and then I closed the hood and took the actuator out through the bottom. I didn't have to remove the relays or the horn on mine. Here are a couple of links that have good information about the vacuumn system.
http://vetteworks.tripod.com/techdocuments/Vaccum.html
http://www.zip-corvette.com/has2.htm

Hope this helps some.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Actuator

Quick Reply: Headlight Actuator