C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:56 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust install question

New exhaust is next on "the list" and have been exploring options--I think I will go with either Allens or Mid America in a 2 1/2 inch pipe with Dynomax Super Turbo's. Now the question--is this something I should try installing at home with only jackstands for lift? I was told that without a lift to get it up quite a way in the air, that it would be akin to wrestling a wet, greasy beach ball. Any comments or advice--one thing that I have found out is that Corvette Forum advice is pretty darn good. Thanks

SEMPER FI--1970 DAVE
Old 12-31-2001, 01:23 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust install question (1970 Dave)

I am not the most mechanically gifted guy (am I folks!!?? :) ) and I was able to replace the exhaust system on my 68 without too much trouble. Only took me about 40 hours. (This is much better than the 60 hours I have spent on jobs that I could not complete!!) With dual exhaust you will be doing most of your work on either side of the car, not really directly under the car. It is a bit tricky lining everything up, especially with aftermarket mufflers, because you have additional pieces to deal with - the elbows that attach on the inlet and outlet sides of your mufflers. My original plan was to hook everything up as best as I could, then take it to the Midas muffler shop to have them "professionally" line it all up and tighten it. My job is lined up well enough and is staying in place so I havent gone to the muffler shop.

If you are buying aluminized pipe (that's what I used) I dont think there is much difference between vendors. I think Allens is fine for people that know what they are doing and/or have a very good relationship with their local muffler shop. In my case, I needed a bit more technical support, and I got TREMENDOUS after the sale support from Zip. MJ
Old 12-31-2001, 01:49 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Dave in my opinion , find a good muffler shop and let them install it for you. Try to find a shop that does custom work. You can run into lots of problems with after market systems not fitting correctly and wind up with the mufflers and pipes hanging at odd angles (been there). The bolts on your headers might be rusted and seized in the manifolds. They will break and cause you much grief and expense, (been there). I did buy a system from a national vendor that was guaranteed to fit, it didnt and I had to send it back. Return shipping costs were over 100.00. It wound up being cheaper and much easier to let a muffler shop install the exhaust system. I did buy a C-2 side exhaust system and heat shields from Allens stainless exhaust systems for my C-3. It turned out real nice, but I did have it custom fitted on the car. Roger L. Gibbons
Old 12-31-2001, 02:06 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust install question (Roger L. Gibbons)

I installed my new dual's myself with the car on jack stands. Then I went to the muffler shop and had them tack weld it so it would stay in place.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:28 PM
bhawk
Intermediate

I installed a complete system on my 70 small block on jack stands without problems. I got all pipes and mufflers from Zip and they were excellent fit. The aluminized pipe is the way to go, as it has been 4 years and the pipes appear new on the outside. Get the mufflers with the correct bends welded on by the supplier, using some kind of adapter to turbo mufflers will be impossible to fit by yourself, and would have to be welded to hold its position.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:47 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

My experience with exhaust replacement, FWIW...

By the time I bought a catalog system (2-1-2 w/converter) , the mufflers I wanted, the clamps, and the hangers, I think I would have spent around $600. I spent $750 to have a muffler shop put a system together and on for me (I had already removed the system from the manifolds back). For that $100 to $150 extra:

1. I didn't have to do anything except sit and tell them what I wanted (good and bad, I guess; no hassle, but no personal satisfaction.

2. I got a welded system (except where it goes through the frame so that I can drop it in two or three pieces if I need to).

3. I got to listen to a variety of mufflers and decide which sound I liked best on my car (it was up on the rack with the mufflers loosley attached so I couldn't get a full idea of resonance at different speeds & such, but it was better than a catalog description of the sound).

4. I got a larger diameter single tube (3" versus 2-1/2") than the catalog systems came with, a front Y-pipe with 2-1/2" tubes into a single 3" tube versus 2-1/2", and a catalyic converter with a 3" inlet and two 2-1/2" outlets (no need for a rear Y) versus single in & out 2-1/2" with a rear Y.

5. I got a system mounted more neat & solid than I know I could ever have done.

Just some thoughts. I hope they help. Good Luck & please post what you do & the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust install question

Quick Reply: Exhaust install question