C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Carb re-placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:21 PM
thewalrustoo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Carb re-placement

I have a 75 with the carb the holley 600 of and it has been rebuilt. I am going to be mounting it back on the intake. Is there anything I should know before I do this. It still looks pretty dirty on the outside. So i am going to spray it with carb cleaner before. Also, I would like to know about the gaskets and metal plate that go in between the manifold and carb. I have three items. One gasket that feels almost rubbery and then the metal plate and then another gasket that does not seem quite as rubbery, more of a cardboard feel. I which order would these be replaced and how about any air in the fule system. Should the carb be primed?
Thanks,
Old 12-31-2001, 04:18 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Help with Carb re-placement (thewalrustoo)

From your description the best I can do is guess. First the cardboard feeling gasket should go on the bottom next to the manifold, then the thin metal and then the rubbery feeling one on top under the carb. The metal plate is to cover the exhaust crossover in the manifold.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:23 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: Help with Carb re-placement (Smokehouse69)

Stephen -
As far as I know, the exhaust crossover under the carb was only used from '66 through '69. A '75 model year manifold does not have the crossover, and therefore does not need the metal shield. He should be able to use a single gasket under the carb that matches the manifold/carb interface.

[Modified by lars, 2:24 PM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 04:39 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with Carb re-placement (lars)

Lars, I think he is talking the square bore to spreadbore adapter(spacer). I agree with smokehouse69, the cardboard, the metal then the rubbery one.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:47 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Help with Carb re-placement (thewalrustoo)

I have never understood why people replace a 750 cfm carb with a 600 cfm carb? :confused:

tom...
Old 12-31-2001, 05:37 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with Carb re-placement (Tom73)

Technically speaking, the smallblock only needs a 600 cfm carb to operate but since the Rochester was so versatile they made it so they could put it on a smallblock or a big block. Its was all about money- a lot of one carb can be made cheap, it gets more expensive when you need two different carbs.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Carb re-placement

Quick Reply: Help with Carb re-placement