C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood won't release

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 12:13 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hood won't release

I put my hood back on this morning and before I could look at the hood lock I accidently closed it. Now the driver side will unlatch but the passanger side is stuck shut. Anyone know how I can get the pass side open? Thanks
Old 12-31-2001, 01:13 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hood won't release (scottw)

Well at least you picked the easier side to unlatch. :D

On the passengers side (inside the area where the wipers are located) there is a black gromet that hides a hole which passes through into the engine bay. This hole is located directly behind the passengers side latch. Once you remove the gromet you can stick a short flat head screw driver into the hole about an inch or two until it hits the back of the latch. At this point you'll want to lift up on the screw driver to release the latch. Hope this helps. :seeya

Mark
Old 12-31-2001, 01:13 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - if it's the same latch mech as a '71 I think you are in luck.
The way it works is when you pull the dash lever a lever(kinda) comes around and pushes on a tab on the drivers side latch. That in turn pulls a cable that relaeses the pass side. So if you have the drivers side released you should be able to push that tab with your fingers. It's the closest part to the drivers side towards the back of the latch. It needs to be pushed forward. It should just pop when pushed but if your way of on adjustmeny you may have to jiggle the hood at the same time. That's assuming the cable is not broken.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:53 PM
1970LT1
Intermediate

Last summer I "adjusted" my hood and could not open it I actually found that there was room in front to go under the front nose a remove the bolts from the hinge. I hope the previously methods work because my method falls into the last ditch category.
Old 12-31-2001, 05:41 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Hood won't release (1970LT1)

Scott,
Here are some pictures to show you what 81vette and lbell101 are talking about.
Neil in Tenn
http://www.madvet.com/tech/techart.html
Info from Mid America Designs,Inc
If the crossover cable is broken, you will need to repeat the procedure on the passenger side. The passenger side latch works a bit differently. Insert the screwdriver to engage the tang shown on the right and lever it down (in the direction of the left-most arrow).

The screwdriver only has to be inserted an inch or so to engage the passenger side tang.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:58 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can get the pass side to unlatch now, but it still won't release. It isn't centered since I took the hood off. Anyone have any other suggestions??
Old 12-31-2001, 10:49 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Hood won't release (Nomad78SA)

Neil,

Nice of you to post pictures. Tennessee Vettes are the best! Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Perfection." class of '71
Old 12-31-2001, 11:21 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Hood won't release (Shutdown1)

If it has released get someone to help you wiggle or shift the hood forward and back. The U hook can only be wedged or cocked in the bottom retainer if the latch has popped up when you released it. From the drivers side if it is raised enough, have someone grab the cable running across to the passenger side and pull on it to make sure the latch is coming all the way up while you lift the hood.
Shoot, bring it by the house and we can use a sawzall to cut the hood in half. Just kidding.. I will help you with it..I don't drink so I won't have a hangover tomorrow :) :lol:
Neil in Tenn

Get notified of new replies

To Hood won't release

Quick Reply: Hood won't release