C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Tech gurus: C5 push button start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Default C5 Tech gurus: C5 push button start.

One of the old school DSM guys and a current supra guy adapted what looks like the Nissan Keyless push button start to the supra and a few other cars.

http://www.kryptonik.org/drespec/

I wonder what it would take to adapt this or even the C6 push button start to a C5. Has anyone tried?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TheRadioFlyer where are you at? This would be awesome if someone could do this I know I would buy it or get the parts to do it myself.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent the guy an e-mail to come here and answer questions. It may or may not work for us C5 guys due to the column lock feature.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ask the original (im)poster of this recent discussion...for lack of further discussion...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2092101

A search in C5 Tech will result in several past discussions, pros/cons of the concept, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

I can't wait until someone makes a kit for it!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Is turning the key that hard?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be too much to turn the key for some of the limper-wristed types.

Remember folks, the more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
p_dubya
Instructor

without having the remote "key" like the C6 or the new nissans, etc...you still need to put the key in the ignition and to the 'on' position. The push button can only replace the 'start' function of ignition switch.

The other option would be to wire up individual switches to replace the "acc" and "on" positions. That way you could get in, flip a switch to "on" and hit the start button. But then there's really nothing stopping anybody from stealing the car.

It's not as simple as just gettin in and hittin the button....without all of the proper technology.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
dre99gsx
Advanced

Damn, I just realized I've been on this board for some time

I'm the inventor of that project Arthur listed above. I'm building a few in my basement for use on our Supras (I think there a few on this board from the Supraforums.. one of the 360zero guys I had met sometime ago). This isn't intended for large volume sales, just something cool for a few of us that like this feature. Unfortunately, it takes me about 2 days to build one and RFID parts are expensive. I listed a price on my site but these are only available for Supras at the moment.

I listed a video on youtube that shows its operation. Take a peak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6F-owxgyY

I have a buddy with a Z06 C5 that I have been eyeing. This little project shouldn't be hard to adapt to a C5. Most cars are basically the same when it comes to ignition.

This unit does not require the key to open the door or start the car. I can probably come up with a list of things I would need to determine if it could work on a C5. If you guys have interest in this, I can make it happen.

As far as distributing, I'm pretty sure this forum would have some strict rules, but, I'm sure we would be able to work something out.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dre99gsx

I'm the inventor of that project Arthur listed above. I'm building a few in my basement for use on our Supras (I think there a few on this board from the Supraforums.. one of the 360zero guys I had met sometime ago). This isn't intended for large volume sales, just something cool for a few of us that like this feature. Unfortunately, it takes me about 2 days to build one and RFID parts are expensive. I listed a price on my site but these are only available for Supras at the moment.

I have a buddy with a Z06 C5 that I have been eyeing. This little project shouldn't be hard to adapt to a C5. Most cars are basically the same when it comes to ignition.

This unit does not require the key to open the door or start the car. I can probably come up with a list of things I would need to determine if it could work on a C5. If you guys have interest in this, I can make it happen.

As far as distributing, I'm pretty sure this forum would have some strict rules, but, I'm sure we would be able to work something out.
If you got this to work at a reasonable price I would be in for sure.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dre99gsx

Pretty obvious you do NOT know the C5 column lock and security issues. If the computer does not see the correct key-you ain't goin nowhere! Since you have to present the key somewhere, may as well just TURN THE KEY. Anybody that tries this on a C5 is asking for trouble-just search for all the "column lock"and "Pull key and wait 10 sec" posts.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I can't think of any advantage for a push button start. Can anyone tell me why you would go to the expense and trouble just so you didn't have to turn the key? You'd still have to carry the fob, and you'd have to bypass the key pellet, and the column lock. I must not see the big picture.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Pretty obvious you do NOT know the C5 column lock and security issues. If the computer does not see the correct key-you ain't goin nowhere! Since you have to present the key somewhere, may as well just TURN THE KEY. Anybody that tries this on a C5 is asking for trouble-just search for all the "column lock"and "Pull key and wait 10 sec" posts.
First and foremost most of them work with the key in the ignition. Even if it wasnt.. that can be overridden easily.

Each Key has a restiance value. For example, My key is a code 6

1411-1549 ohms on the little resistor on the key. All it would take is a multimeter to find out what # key you have, then, you could buy the correct reistor at a parts store, and solider it on the PASS key wire (itll be listen on a wiring diagram)

This then tricks the ecu into thinking the correct key is in the ignition.

But again a push button start usually wont need this step.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vettekidc5
First and foremost most of them work with the key in the ignition. Even if it wasnt.. that can be overridden easily.

Each Key has a restiance value. For example, My key is a code 6

1411-1549 ohms on the little resistor on the key. All it would take is a multimeter to find out what # key you have, then, you could buy the correct reistor at a parts store, and solider it on the PASS key wire (itll be listen on a wiring diagram)

This then tricks the ecu into thinking the correct key is in the ignition.

But again a push button start usually wont need this step.
I know-I've done it on other GM's-still a waste of time and effort. There's a lot more than just the pellet too. If you bypass the security with a resistor, you've made it that mush easier to steal for what upside???
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
dre99gsx
Advanced

Well, there is the other option. Hide your key and ignition cylinder inside your car. With the Supra, I remove the key cylinder completely. The push button goes in its place. I've read about the C5 column lock issues, and isn't there a bypass kit that plainly disables it?

If your comfortable with removing the keycylinder, leaving the key in it, and stowing it way up under the dash somewhere, you can then pass the key cylinder choices (ACC, ON, CRANK) over to the start button. Its secured with a 128bit encryption and a double communication protocol, pretty safe.

For us Supras, we give up the column lock. Its mechanical for us, but it cannot be used with this keyless system. But, I usually carry an AlphaLock and lock up my tire anyway.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
dre99gsx
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I can't think of any advantage for a push button start. Can anyone tell me why you would go to the expense and trouble just so you didn't have to turn the key? You'd still have to carry the fob, and you'd have to bypass the key pellet, and the column lock. I must not see the big picture.
Simple. Hands free. Walk up to the car, pull the handle, step in, push the button, and your off. Fob never leaves the pocket. Yeah I'm a key in cylinder guy, I like the old way, nothing wrong with it. But, its just so damn convenient.

If you still have to turn the key and then push a start button.. to me thats useless.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Tech gurus: C5 push button start.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

And what do you do if the fob gets broken or the battery dies??? Again-WHY-silly gimick in my book.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Dre, i dont know if you remember me.. im OLD school DSM. i had a talon back in the day with Wonger, Blue Eagle and CASey in DFW..
i also had a 98 supra TT ( green machine). My buddy Chris who has a 98 DSM and a Turbo cobra showed me this and its killer..

p duya, the supra never had any key like this but dre made it work... im very interested in a c5 kit..
Old 08-05-2008, 10:28 PM
dre99gsx
Advanced

If the fob battery deteriorates (yet still operational), I have it warn you every time you start the car to replace it. If it dies, you still have the key to get in the car (the key hides in the fob). You'll have to get a new battery to start your car. You lose some convenience yes, but you can carry a spare battery in your wallet

The Infiniti G35 fob which I use and modifiy has a passive RFID. If your battery dies, the long range won't work. But, the short range uses no battery. You still need to place the fob next to the module near the ignition. It started getting expensive on my end to build something that complex. I'm only including one antennae as well, so if the key is in the car and you purposely lock the doors from the switch, they WILL lock.

But, I've tried to work out all the scenarios and "what ifs" with this system and provided some work arounds and solutions to make everyone happy.

About security... I would be damned if someone had the $$$ and time to hack a 128bit encryption which btw will require a second verification once you press the start button of yet another key. This is probably more secure than your resistance-back keys.

I include a backup fob as well. If you lose both, I can send you a new one preprogrammed.

This is definitely not for everyone. And I'm not here to convince anyone that this is a must have. I would be more interested in getting help from those who want this with some details, maybe some wiring diagrams (I'll buy the electrical shop manual if need be). Whatever...

I used to be big in DSMs, had a nicely modded eclipse (www.twingles.com/ideck) and heck yeah I remember Wonger and a few others. You had a Supra? Crap its been a long time. I had been contemplating switch from Supra to a C6 Z06 for quite some time. Just finding the right itch to scratch.

Quick Reply: C5 Tech gurus: C5 push button start.