C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp sending unit?

Old 12-31-2001, 05:00 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Temp sending unit?

I have the 1981 Corvette Oil Temp Gauge and I looking for the sending unit that goes on the block just below the oil filter.....Does anyone here on the forum know where these 1981 oil temp sending units can be purchased? Thanks for the replies........Aloha and a Happy New Year to you All.........Cappy :seeya
Old 12-31-2001, 08:36 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I'm about to install my oil temp sensor also. Call your local AC Delco parts shop. They got em.

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-31-2001, 11:02 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote: "the sending unit that goes on the block just below the oil filter...."

Actually, the temp sending unit mounts ABOVE the oil filter area of the engine block, not below.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:42 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (john's '81 mouse)

john's 81 mouse,
I found a allen head nut just above the oil filter (small) I think 3/16. Is this the hole for the sending unit?....That allen nut is in there and I have not been able to budge it...almost seems like it's going to break the allen wrench.....Since I'm pulling the oil pan off to repair the leak....can I install the temp sender on the oil pan?....have the welder drill hole and weld a nut of the same size as the sending unit.....That allen nut is in there with what looks like liquid thread sealer. Thanks for all the help :seeya Cappy
Old 01-11-2002, 11:37 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Yep, I think you've found it all right, and doesn't surprise me that it's in there tight, probably installed by factory, and never been out.

Before resorting to making a hole in the oil pan, I suggest you remove the oil filter and base, so you can get to this area, then soak the plug threads really good for a couple of days with periodic shots of PB Blaster.

Then get one of those driver / bustors, which look like a big thick punch, and get the right size allen bit installed in the socket on the end of the driver, and get it up there and give it a couple of good solid wacks with a heavy hammer, and I'll bet you can bust that plug loose so you can then screw it out with the allen wrench.

I use this tool a lot with very tight / stuck screws and bolts. It's a must have if you work on motorcycles with lots of stainless phillips headed screws.

Got the thing at Sears years ago, and has gotten a lot of bolts and screws loose for me over the years.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:44 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Cappy: just remembered what you call that thing, believe it's called an "Impact Driver".
Old 01-11-2002, 02:11 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cappy
I have that tool John is talking about. You can use it if you want. Problem is I don't have a good selection of allen head socket w/ 1/2" drive. Let me know.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:44 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (nunus79)

nunus79,
The car is up on the rack at Fort Shafter Flats auto Hobby Shop....Took it there yesterday. I'm going to remove the oil pan today....please call me at 479-3959 and I'll swing by your place to pick up the impact hammer. Thanks for the offer....hope the hobby shop has the right allen head socket...or else it's going to be a long day running around trying to find the correct head for this thing. It appears I won't be at the Drag Strip this coming Saturday for those of you expecting a Bing Bang Boom repair on this thing....I had every intent to break into the 12's on Saturday or blow this engine up trying.

john's 81 mouse,
Thanks for the info.....I'll go at it with a bigger hammer this time.....I assume after removing this allen bolt....that oil temp sender is going to screw right in....If not this car will be for sale in the C-3 section of this forum. :D
Old 01-12-2002, 02:56 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

john's 81 mouse, and nunus 79,
Got that sucker out today....hit with a air impact hammer for awhile, then went for the long breaker bar and she started. Finished off with a rachet. Sender went right in. The oil pan was sweet coming out....didn't drop the idler arm....romoved the cotter pin below it and undid the nut...couple of bangs with hammer and steering linkage dropped, pan dropped....I'm a Happy Cappy :D
Got finished about 5:30 pm after all the welding shops were closed....went by my friends shop and they were all there drinking some brewsky's....they lit up the brazing torch and brazed the crack shut....sanded and cleaned and painted and ready to go back in tomorrow.....Thanks again for all your help. :seeya Aloha Cappy
Old 01-12-2002, 06:34 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Cappy,

Give me a call on my cell and let me know what you want to do about tomorrow night for tires. I have a B'day party to attend at 5-8 so it needs to be before or after that. Also, glad to hear you are ready for tomorrow night!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 08:23 AM
73Fore54
Racer

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (Maurice)

I installed an oil temp gauge and sender on my 80 last year. Couldnt budge the plug near the oil filter, ended up drilling it out but broke the tap trying to thread it. After all that was resolved I ended up placing the sensor up top behind the distributor after T'ing off the pressure sensor.

I used a variable resistor in the wiring of the gauge, so I could adjust the meter for a correct reading based on a thermometer.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:59 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (Maurice)

Maurice,
I can wait down at the track till you get there then do the install....I'll be late getting to the track anyway, since I'll be dropping in at the Cruise Night at Wendy's first, then over to the track......See ya There :seeya Cappy
Old 01-12-2002, 01:03 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (73Fore54)

73Fore54,
Woa...and I thought I was having a bad time of it....Glad it all worked out for you.....I thought mine was going to be a bear to get out, however after seeing your post...it was a piece of cake. :seeya Cappy
Old 01-12-2002, 03:47 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Woohoo! Good to hear it got fixed!! Those "Miller Time" boys come through again! Looking forward to meeting you guys at the track. I gotta get my VCR ready.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:30 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Oil Temp sending unit? (nunus79)

nunus79,
Oil Temp reads 190 degrees at idle and 200 during cruise. Would you say this is good temp figures for this engine? Not sure what oil temp should be....My water temps are 160 at idle and 190 at cruise with A/C on. I was going to install an oil cooler, however seems I wont need it.....You know some one who wants a new still in the box oil cooler with everything to install?.....I'll let it go for half the price I purchased. :seeya Cappy
Old 01-14-2002, 03:33 PM
nunus79
Drifting

I don't know. Someone else probably knows. TTT

PS I'll keep my eyes/ears open if anybody wants an oil cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Temp sending unit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Temp sending unit?