C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 02:54 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well this all started when my fan clutch went bad about a month ago....since then ive gone to see mike 69 and swap in his old one, and didnt work, and since then ordered a new one from summit, and also doesnt work...same problem with mike's....the flange for the fan, and the flange that mounts to the pulley/waterpump are both too small. here is a pic showing the holes for the fan ( the bottom center bolt is aligned, all others arent)

Wha tthe hell is it that i need???

Thanks in advance, Chris

[Modified by 74VETTE, 1:55 AM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 05:28 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (74VETTE)

Maybe you should check out the NCRS site- one of our members spends alot of time there & I'll bet he (or others there) could figure out exactly what you need. I haven't seen him post here much lately so I can't think of his name unfortunately. I'll post it if I think of it cuz he actually knows all the Delco part #s for parts like this.

I found it- Joe Lucia is his name. If you put up a new post paging him that might do the trick. If not, let me know & I'll email him for you. I got his email addy elsewhere & don't wanna put it out w/o his permission.

[Modified by Les, 5:31 AM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 08:39 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Les)

I bought a AC/Delco Fan Clutch # DCC-15-4316 for $59.49 at a local parts store and it fit and works fine.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:34 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (74VETTE)

That sucks Chris! Sorry to hear that!

I think you should take it up to nappa, pep boys or whatever and match it up. I dont know why that thing is a different size! :crazy:

Whatever happend with the pulleys????
Old 12-31-2001, 10:19 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Mike69)

Thanks for the replies....
Les, if you could email him i would greatly appreciate it. IM afraid that thiss whole fan and clutch maybe off of another car...when i brought it to a buddies auto supply it matched up to one that was for a caprice, monte carlo, and other fullsize cars :confused: but this was not thermal so it would not work. Id even go and get a new fan for it, but the flange that mounts up to the pulley/waterpump is even to small. The bolts would be hanging abouta 1/8-1/4 inch over the flange.

Hey mike, pulleys went in fine now that i got a special puller to align the PS pump pulley. Look Great! speaking of, do you have that "before picture" since FINALLY i can take an after....LoL.......now, I just need the damn fan clutch to finish off the job. Im getting so pissed with this damn thing im about to tightenit all up and try it out without a fan!! :crazy:

Thanks again
Chris
Old 12-31-2001, 10:34 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Hey Chris, with the temps the way they are now you would have no problem driving without a fan. The fan only really works below 35 mph and with the temps around 35 I doubt you would heat up at all. I know this is not a solution but if you want to drive should be no problem.
It does not look like a Corvette fan. i could be wrong but I would check that out first.
Old 12-31-2001, 11:02 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Gordonm)

Thanks gordonm, i kinda figured that but just dont like the idea of doing stuff like that sometimes just on principal. But i think im gonna give in....LoL
ill probably realize the HP gain without a fan and then want an electric setup :D

I think im going to have to agree with you about it not being a corvette fan, but even if a get a new fan, the flange mounting to the water pump is still too small and if the holes were drilled in the flange rather than having the space to slide in and out, then it would not work at all. What makes no sense, is that for "1960-1974" corvettes with standard clutch.
im totally clueless here!
Old 12-31-2001, 11:28 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Go to the parts store and ask for a clutch for an Oldsmobile and see if it fits that fan,Olds and Chevy fans and clutches have different hole spacings.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:03 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 827 Likes on 242 Posts

Hi Chris,

Around 1969 GM changed the size of the waterpump shaft size and flange
bolt pattern size. Not all models got changed. Camero's changed in '69.
Corvettes changed '70 and later depending on engine type.
My '70 has the small shaft/flange.

Sounds like you need the larger design. I would have thought that by '74
all models would have that design.

Have you ordered a fan clutch for a later than '75 . They should be the large
shaft/bearing.

As far as I know there are only two styles. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Barry
Old 12-31-2001, 06:30 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys.....im soo frustrated by this ive decided to go with a flex-a-lite fan and use a spacer and just return this clutch......ive been smacking my head on a concrete wall since this clutch went bad at the same time as the pulleys. got new pulleys and didnt line up and had to get special PS pump pulley remover to align it. benn trying to find the right fan clutch. gave up deciding to get flex fan. Ran to three stores today to find the right belts. Still didnt get one of them. Been nothing but a run around since they went bad.
gonna try the flex fans tho, if they dont work, im springing for an electric setup! :rolleyes:
Old 12-31-2001, 06:49 PM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: (74VETTE)

Chris,
I can sure understand your frustration. Based on your later posts it looks like you've changed directions here- do you still want me to get ahold of Joe Lucia????
Old 12-31-2001, 06:56 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (Les)

do you still want me to get ahold of Joe Lucia????
thanks les....if u know his email off hand i would appreciate it, just so i can thene weigh my options. I appreciate it.
Chris
Old 12-31-2001, 07:15 PM
Les
Race Director

Chris,
I just sent off an email to him explaining your situation. I told him where to find this post & also gave him your email address. Last time I emailed him it took a few days to hear back because he was out of town on business. Hopefully he's at home for the holidays...
Old 12-31-2001, 09:15 PM
Les
Race Director

Chris,
I'm sorry but Joe's email address is no longer good- I got a kickback on it. Your best bet is to go to the NCRS site to find him- that's actually where I found his old email address a few months ago. He really knows GM parts in & out and I'm sure he'd have the correct part #s for you. Sorry I couldn't help more. :(
Old 12-31-2001, 09:51 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through the run around on my 72 BB. It had a 3/4 inch dia water pump shaft, where the book called for a 5/8 shaft. None of the local good part stores had one the right size hole and right length, so I went to the local autozone as a last resort. The parts manager there ran into the same problems of fit, so he looked up a chevy pickup with a diesel engine. It was the short fan clutch with the 3/4 hole that I needed, plus it is the HEAVY DUTY thermal that I wanted. When he cross referenced it, it showed to fit some Corvettes, Imagine that! Works great for $60. Hope it helps.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :lol:
Old 01-01-2002, 01:32 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (Phlash)

Thanks guys..... les....no big deal....thanks anyway :seeya
at least know i know my options....60 buck for the clutch and the same for a flex fan and spacer. some deciding to do now
Thanks guys
Chris :seeya
Old 01-01-2002, 02:36 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed all that crap and replaced it with electric fans from flex a lite modle #210 sure looks cool I hope it will cool my 454 I will update you guys during the summer.

Get notified of new replies

To still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2002, 03:37 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

According to the NCRS Judging Manual for the 73/74 Vettes the fan clutch P/N is 343721 w/ AC, 343720 w/o AC. The fan P/N is 32715 w/ AC and 3991420 w/o AC. There is no difference be it the small block or the big block in 1974. Within the last two months there was a thread at the NCRS site giving the differences of these clutchs.
Roger
Old 01-01-2002, 07:53 PM
morgan
Advanced

I have the exact fan clutch and fan blade that you need. It is beadblasted and the fan is painted, ready to bolt on. $50 plus shipping puts it on your car and keeps the stock look morganjd@att.net
Old 01-01-2002, 10:29 PM
X-OTIC
Instructor

Electric...! I vote, go for the electric :)

Quick Reply: still having problems with fan clutch, now i cant find the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!