C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 07:40 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

Hi Gang,
I have a 79 Vette and it needs new mufflers. I want it to sound good but not too loud. Any Suggestion?
Thanks,
TeŽesa :seeya
Old 12-30-2001, 08:33 PM
L79vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Exhaust Question (Teresa)

Dynomax Super Turbos. They make them with the correct brackets and inlet/outlet configuration so they bolt right on. Mid-America sells them. They sound perfect to me. Only slightly louder than stock at idle, but nice sound when you step on it.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:58 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Default Re: Exhaust Question (L79vette)

Hi Wayne,
What's the difference between "Dynomax Super Turbo" and "Flowmasters"?
Thanks,
TeŽesa :seeya
Old 12-30-2001, 09:09 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Teresa:
What's the difference between "Dynomax Super Turbo" and "Flowmasters"?
About $40 ;). Seriously, Flowmasters incorporate baffles into their muffler design. They have different types of baffling for each of their mufflers. Some will tone down your exhaust noise whereas others will increase the exhaust note. I've never really cared for the sound of Flowmasters, but quite a few members on the board run them. Maybe they can give you some advice if you choose to go with Flowmasters.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:17 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Question (bence13_33)

Flowmaster 40's are loud.....I LOVE THAT...... Delta 50's might be a better option if you do not want too loud a sound :cheers:
Old 12-30-2001, 09:34 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Im running the dynomax super turbos.... Not loud at all...Quiet at idle and sound louder than stock mufflers when you step on them....... :cheers:
Old 12-30-2001, 10:41 PM
L79vette
Pro

Donning flameproof suit...

The difference is that Super Turbos sound good while flowmasters sound like exhaust coming through a tin can with loose lids rattling around inside.

Just my admittedly not-very-humble opinion on this religious issue.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:13 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The difference is that Super Turbos sound good while flowmasters sound like exhaust coming through a tin can with loose lids rattling around inside.

Not flaming you so you can take the suit off, however, I just had Flowmaster DeltaFlow 50's put on my vette and I LOVE the sound. Doesn't sound like a tin can either. I was afraid it would but I let a friend talk me into them and I'm glad I did. I'm very happy. Of course, I haven't taken it on a long highway cruise to see if the slight resonance will get to me but that will happen on the first (if the weather holds out).

Now, as far as what is recommended for any specific person? It really depends on what kind of sound or loudness level you're looking for. It also depends on whether or not you have a catalytic converter on the car. If your 79 has the stock 2-1-2 exhaust with the stock cat, it won't really be too much louder because the cat is sooooo restrictive. I installed Mid America's true dual exhaust, H-pipe, and the Flowmasters mentioned and I'm happy. Not too loud but still rumbles quite nicely. However, I have heard people say that Borla makes the best sounding exhaust, it will even make the 4 banger ricers sound good (this is heresay so don't flame me). I just couldn't afford the Borlas.

Another thing, most mufflers use fiberglass or some other material which tends to blow out after time, thus changing the sound. Flowmasters are welded and they use baffles so you don't have to worry about that.

However, as mentioned above, the Dynomax SuperTurbo will bolt right up to the stock exhaust, but Flowmasters (and others) will need to be welded. The Flowmasters are also a little long so it took some ingenuity to get them tucked up like stock, and they still aren't quite where I would want them to be.

What should you get from all this yammering? If you want ease of installation, still have the stock setup and aren't looking for loud, then go with the Dynomax. If you are going to have someone do the installation and want a good deep rumble, get Flowmasters or even Borlas if you can afford them.

The most difficult thing to do is to explain how a particular muffler sounds. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:33 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

I'm running Flowmaster 40s. They're pretty loud and I love it. I've received many complements on the sound they produce.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:52 AM
AFunderJack81
Advanced

In my humble opinion, the stock mufflers are the best. They sound good, they always fit right, and look like they belong on the car. Whatever you do, stay far, far away from monzas.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:19 AM
74Vetteski
Advanced

Default Re: Exhaust Question (VTHokie77Vette)

I've got Flowmater 40's. They are loud and there is resonance at low RPMs in the car (RPMs>1500 no problem). I'm thinking to install a cross pipe to soften the tone and remove some of the resonance. After crusing for several hours they can get on my nerves, i.e, ears! I have got a lot of compiments on the sound though. If you haven't used loud pipes before, you might want to consider something a little more tame. Just my opinion.
Peter
Old 12-31-2001, 03:58 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Exhaust Question (74Vetteski)

I have flowmaster 40 series on my vette and I love the sound. I'll admit that it is loud and there is a slight metallic sound, but my car isn't my daily driver so that's fine. Also I have dual flow 40s on my 97 GMC shortwide. On my truck though they have a very smooth tone, no metal sound. I assume it is because of the difference in length of pipe behind the mufflers and difference in tips(much larger and longer on the truck). Your cam is also going to make a big difference in sound. You might think about sound deadening the floor of your car. That way you can still cruise with the windows down or top off, but have less noise when you don't want it. I see less of the mufflers with this set-up than with the stock, which in my opinion is a good thing.
Jason

[Modified by jdharkey, 2:05 AM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 04:56 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

I have Dynomax Super Turbos on my 78. Stock exhaust, except it has a high-flow cat.
Very deep up to about 2000 rpm. When driving around at low speeds, the car gets tons of attention. On the freeway, it's rather calm.
-Steve
Old 12-31-2001, 06:14 AM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Question (Pacin'California)

Summit Performance Turbo Mufflers, 16 bucks a piece, GREAT RUMBLE AT IDLE, low growl when you step on it ;)
Old 12-31-2001, 09:41 AM
RATT7
Pro

I installed the dynomax super turbos on my 1980 l-48, I also removed the cat to. I am happy with the sound, it is a bit louder at idle then the stock setup and the fit was excellent.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:27 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Obviously you heard the mufflers on the wrong car...I have NO resonance and No tinny sound whatsoever...They may sound that way on a mustang But they do not on my vette at ALL :cheers: :jester
Old 12-31-2001, 10:05 PM
L79vette
Pro

Default Re: Exhaust Question (Alwyn678)

Hee hee. Funny you should say that, because the 40's were indeed on a 'Stang. However, I have heard many others mention the resonance problem with Flowmasters. Whenever you are using tuned chamber sizes to cancel sound waves you are going to get some resonances. Super Turbos do use fiberglass sound damping. Mine only have a thousand miles or so. They haven't blown out yet!

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Question

Old 01-01-2002, 07:36 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

How does Ultra Flow compare to the Super Turbo?
Seems like people here prefer Super Turbo, but the chart at Dynomax site shows that the Ultra flows more than the double.
Are they much louder?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:42 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Hee hee. Funny you should say that, because the 40's were indeed on a 'Stang. However, I have heard many others mention the resonance problem with Flowmasters. Whenever you are using tuned chamber sizes to cancel sound waves you are going to get some resonances. Super Turbos do use fiberglass sound damping. Mine only have a thousand miles or so. They haven't blown out yet!
Wow and that was just a Guess!!!!! about the stang....But hopefully I will continue to have no resonance...But If ya want fiberglass why not just pick up some super inexpensive glass packs and be done with it...You will be switching out mufflers every few years however...I am sticking with the Flowmasters they last and they sound incredible
Old 01-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Dynomax Super Turbos; the reason I put them on was low restriction and a cool sound.

Took it in into a shop that I trust, anyway they recommended the Dynomax Super Turbos, based on a test they run on them. The test is the following; took car to drag strip with out mufflers and ran it, then put the Dynomax Super Turbos on it and the car ran the same time. They claim it doesn't :nono: slow a car down any by having them on.

I can't prove they did it, ;) but have no reason not to believe them. After all they will install any muffler system for me, I can even order the parts myself.

Plus it sound like a 50 muscle car to me. :cool:

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question