C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery - starter problem -- please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:06 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead battery - starter problem -- please help!

I have 1975 'vette that I just put in a rebuilt starter, after which the battery went completely dead. I've replaced the battery - and two days later the battery was dead once again. Do you think there's any possibility that the wires attached to the starter could be shorting and draining the battery if they were not correctly reattached? Please help as we are relatively new vette owners and are not sure where to start.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:31 PM
Geoff H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dead battery - starter problem -- please help! (Scudd)

Check your wires on on your starter correctly, as there is a black wire that runs near the starter that does not go to it, but drains power if u connect it to the starter by mistake. been there done that, also an article in corvette fever some time ago about that very common mistake.
otherwise if u dont know about wiring take it to a shop as they will be able to run some tests, like starter current draw, etc etc and narrow your prob down.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:45 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dead battery - starter problem -- please help! (Scudd)

try disconnecting the alternator for a few days and see if the battery goes dead. it is common the alternator can fail and drain the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery - starter problem -- please help!

Quick Reply: Dead battery - starter problem -- please help!