C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:01 PM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72???

I have a 72 - 350 coupe with the Pertronix & Flamethrower coil. Runs great, starts quickly, etc.

Purchased an MSD 6A Ignition Control and installed according to their directions. They had the "Pertronix" schematic on the last page of the installation instrucions. First time I hit the key, started right up and ran GREAT!!! Sounded different at idle, very smooth, and seemed wind up quicker and pull harder past 5000 RPM.

2nd Day. DEAD! Battery OK. Ran the "MSD suggested spark test", and the coil fires with the key in the ON position. Cannot figure this thing out.

Symptoms: The MSD box is getting power, good ground. Coil checks out OK. Engine cranks great. Appears to not have spark at the plugs when cranking. (It did start once, but "fired" each time I stopped cranking the starter, on the backswing of the ignition key) The wire from the starter to the coil (power only when ignition is ON) only shows about 7 volts, and really drops when I crank. To remedy, I hooked up a powered (ignition ON) wire from another source, and it shows 12 volts, but drops to 8-9 when ignition is ON. SO I reversed everything to original status, doesn't work either!! WHAT IS UP????????
Is something going wrong with the starter, shown by the big drop off in voltage?? Or is my pertronix shot?? Seems strange that it starts intermittently.
Help!!!! :confused: :nonod: :sad:
Old 12-30-2001, 02:17 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72??? (72Shark)

First thing i would try is disconnect the MSD box and connect like you had it before, this will either confirm the MSD is the problem or confirm it is not. either way it will put you one step closer to finding the problem. good luck.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-30-2001, 02:57 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72??? (73 LS-4)

When you say "reversed everything to original status" does that mean pertronix but no MSD? If so, I think you will have to reinstall your points to determine if the pertronix has failed. They do fail. I have been happy with mine, but there have been quite a few reported problems on the forum.

I don't know of any way to test the pertronix ignitor other than replacing it with a new one or going back to points. MJ
Old 12-30-2001, 03:15 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72??? (MNJack)

[QUOTE]When you say "reversed everything to original status" does that mean pertronix but no MSD?

That was what I was going for, leave the pertronix but take the MSD out of the system. If no change then you can start looking at the pertronix as a possible culprit but it would eliminate the MSD as a possibility. If everything is OK with the MSD disconnected then you know the MSD is the culprit. Process of elimination, I've seen a lot of MSD's go out and do strange things and normally it's the easiest to eliminate it from the system for your first check.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-30-2001, 04:53 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72??? (73 LS-4)

My Pertronix II Ignitor died on me as well...Lasted about 2k....Spoke with Lars and he suggested I stick with the points which I have and I am so far quite satisfied..I did however keep the Flamethrower coil.....I have heard quite a few others having problems with the products
Old 12-31-2001, 10:53 AM
72Shark
Pro

Default Re: Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72??? (Alwyn678)

Problem Identified!!!

The MSD is a Capacitive Discharge (CD) ignition system, and the "old" system I was replacing was an inductive system (points systems, or pertronix + flamethrower coil). The Flamethrower coil IS NOT compatable with a CD system.

Beware: The Pertronix ad's say "Flamethrower coil is the perfect match for Pertronix Ignitor system". This is true. Ad's also say "Compatable with MSD systems". What they don't say is "DO NOT USE THE FLAMETHROWER COIL WHEN YOU SWITCH TO MSD". The MDS Ad's show how to hook up when using a Pertronix system, but DO NOT SAY anything about the non-compatibility of the FLamethrower coil. Even their "coil compatibility" spreadsheet does not rule out the Flamethrower. The small print in the flamethrower literature says "not compatible with CD ignition systems". So...only the Ignitor is compatible with MSD, do not use a Flamethrower coil. My use of the Flamethrower coil (the perfect match for Pertronix Ignitor system) spelled doom for my Ignitor. Problem solved! :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72???

Quick Reply: Pertronix + MSD 6A = Dead 72???