C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tac wont work..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 06:21 AM
1980 razz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tac wont work..

i know its been disscused before but here i go..when i start the vette up the tac jumps a little bit..thats all it has ever done since i got it..where do i start to fix this problem..how hard is this project from 1 to 10..any help apriecaited..thanx all
Old 12-30-2001, 08:18 AM
74Vetteski
Advanced

Default Re: tac wont work.. (1980 razz)

I could be as simple as replacing the plastic gear mounted on the side of the trany where the tach cable is mounted to trany. The gear is made of plstic and can have a tooth or more worned down. This happened to me. Simple repair. If it is your cable that is screwed up, its a tougher job, likewise if it's your tach gauge. Best bet is to start with an $8 plastic gear mounted to the side of your trany.
Peter

Old 12-30-2001, 09:55 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

On my 80 it was just bad connection on the tach board behind the tach. I cleaned all the connections with 220 grit sandpaper and electrical cleaner. One person just posted that it was a bad tach filter. They removed the tach filter and the tach works. Also check your connection from tach to the distributor for a good clean connection. Start from the most simple fix working towards the more difficult. Usually it turns out to be the more simple fix. I would suggest checking electrical connections first. Remember how old your wiring is.

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-30-2001, 01:21 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: tac wont work.. (Jim73)

I was the one with the bad tach filter. I first thought it was a bad board, which I replaced to the tune of $75. Did not fix it. Thought I might need a new tach, as the 82 is electronic, not gear driven (what is the 80?). Then I just decided to disconnect the connector after the filter and run a jump from there to the test connector at the tach. Voila! Tach suddenly works. So I have just cut out the tach filter and soldered and shrink wrapped the ends. Had to reset the tach needle, as it read low. This is real easy. Pull off needle, turn on ignition, not starting car, re-attach needle at zero. No effects to date from no filter. No radio noise, no needle jumping, no anything. So, I would try jumping aroung the tach filter first (with a wire, not you jumping! :rolleyes: )
Old 12-30-2001, 05:42 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Default Re: tac wont work.. (Larry82)

where excactly is the tach filter located? is this posible to check without taking apart my dash?i checked the connection to the dist and it seems fine?
Old 12-30-2001, 06:10 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Check your tach filter. It is bolted to your intake manifold. If it is not bolted down it can make your tach do strange things. I would check that first and then go from there.

Get notified of new replies

To tac wont work..

Quick Reply: tac wont work..