C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (advice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:18 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (advice)

330 lb fiberglass. Yae, nay? :D. I think i'm going for it.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:08 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Jenny)

VB makes good springs. Have a 360 in mine. Get the right shocks though. These springs have a tendency to load good and rebound twice as fast. Makes for a very unusual ride. Call them up and ask what they reccomend.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:23 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Stingy74)

I got the 340 LB from Zips -- I REALLY like it, but it does need the right shocks.

Also, check the Tech Tips section for my write up on rear spring install. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/techtips...D=75&TopicID=3
Old 12-30-2001, 10:53 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Jenny)

Big time YEH, on that spring, I have one, rides much better, but I did put new shocks around also upon install, some fool told to go back to steel, so one day, I did...just for experiment.....and I was right, the VB plastic spring is a huge improvement.....

GENE
Old 12-30-2001, 03:48 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Ed T)

......Some (maybe all) of those fiberglass mono-springs are adjustable so you can tune your ride from stiff to real smoothe. A friend of mine says his Vette rides like an Eldorado since he added his fiberglass mono-spring. I have used VetteBrakes products before and they are of good quality, but more designed for racing and therefore a stiff ride. You might want to shop around,talk to VetteBrakes tech support, or take into consideration what some of the other forum members are reccomending before you buy. Regards and have a great new year!

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Pefection," class of '71
Old 12-30-2001, 04:51 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Ed T)

I'm with Ed T on this one. The TRW rear spring is much smoother and more forgiving of improper shock selection. 315# is right for me.
With VB rear springs, you MUST have the correct shock. I suggest Bilstein Sport.
Paul Lisinsky will tell you that 80% of ride quality is dependent on rear spring performance.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:37 PM
Matt M
Instructor

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (flynhi)

I'm not sure how it compares, but I put an '85 spring in my '75 and it works great. Better ride than the steel spring it had, and it performs great, too.

Matt
Old 12-30-2001, 05:52 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Talk to the Vette Brakes guys - get the kit with tubular A-Arms (top and bottom) with fibreglass spring. The kit (for back and rear) will run about $2100.
I've got it on both my SBC and BBC 1980's. You'll LOVE the way your Vette handles with this kit. With proper setup and wheels / tires, you'll give a C5 a run for the money on a slalom course.

I also own a Z06, and my smallblock 1980 with the kit handles almost as well as the Z06 - the difference is almost insignificant!

Have fun with your ride - it's great to see young women interested in owning and hot-roding Vettes.

[Modified by shawn_cake, 7:34 AM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-30-2001, 06:30 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (flynhi)

Ditto on the TRW :cheers:
Old 12-30-2001, 08:25 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (yellow 72)

......I'd be careful on that $2,000 VetteBrake set-up if I was you (mentioned previously, with all due respect). Strickly racing stuff. Stiff ride and noises from suspension I didn't know a car could make. I got tired of it and went back to mostly stock. Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Perfection," class of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 12:26 AM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 10:44 AM
shawn_cake
Racer

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Shutdown1)

The "stiff ride" is usually caused by people buying springs with too high of a rate. Tell the Vette Brakes guys the primary use of the car.. They will sell you the right sping rate. Also, the springs have adjustable pivot points - there are 5 settings for stiffness and jacking screws for simple ride height adjustment. No cutting coils! Ride smoothness is not of primary importance to me - I am interested in "sports car handling quality" - cornering and braking...

The noise factor can be fixed by:

1) Drilling the sway bar perches and polurethane bushings for zerk (grease fittings)

2) Lubricate the sway bar perches and the fibreglass sping perches (two on each sping) with Red-Line grease poly-urethane compatible grease.

I've had the Vette Brakes kits on my Vettes for 3 years - and yes - I did have the problems you talked about at the initial stage. Vette Brakes helped me fix those issues with the above mentioned fixes. After the fixes, I've had no complaints about the products!
:cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by shawn_cake, 7:51 AM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 10:54 AM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (shawn_cake)

I have a 360# rear spring and it doesn't seem to be harsh. I drive on alot of "bad" roads. It's 8 years old and has 45,000 miles on it.
Scott
Old 12-31-2001, 11:01 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (shawn_cake)

Not all of the FG springs are adjustable other than end bolt tweaking. If you want the adjustable kit, you have to ask for it. I have Vette Brakes springs on both of my Vettes (66 & 70) and neither is the adjustable style. I opted for the "stock" width spring so as not to have to put permanent inserts in my rear end threads. Several people have had the fiberglass springs crack/snap off. I had a steel spring snap off on my 66. As posted, you also need to add gas shocks for proper damping, otherwise you will be bouncing down the highway insted of rolling. Also agree with asking VB about spring rate- (in addition to us bubbas), they will set you up with the right spring rate and explain the rationale :)

PS- Carb kit?
Tom
Old 12-31-2001, 11:26 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

High hp likes 420 inch pound steel.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:08 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (Tom454)

PS- Carb kit?
Tom
Thanks Tom, taking me under your wing again. :) I did manage to get a new carb kit. I guess the guy that sold me the kit maybe didn't "rebuild a hundred of these" afterall... sigh.. but what can you do. :) I will call you right now. C-ya!
Old 12-31-2001, 05:09 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

The "stiff ride" is usually caused by people buying springs with too high of a rate. Tell the Vette Brakes guys the primary use of the car.. They will sell you the right sping rate. Also, the springs have adjustable pivot points - there are 5 settings for stiffness and jacking screws for simple ride height adjustment. No cutting coils! Ride smoothness is not of primary importance to me - I am interested in "sports car handling quality" - cornering and braking...

The noise factor can be fixed by:

1) Drilling the sway bar perches and polurethane bushings for zerk (grease fittings)

2) Lubricate the sway bar perches and the fibreglass sping perches (two on each sping) with Red-Line grease poly-urethane compatible grease.

I've had the Vette Brakes kits on my Vettes for 3 years - and yes - I did have the problems you talked about at the initial stage. Vette Brakes helped me fix those issues with the above mentioned fixes. After the fixes, I've had no complaints about the products!
:cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by shawn_cake, 7:51 AM 12/31/2001]
Shawn,

Thanks for your continuing insight into the VetteBrakes set-up. It just bothers me that I always seem to be re-engineering most of the aftermarket products I buy for my Vette, as you did with your suspension kit. I am glad you had such a positive relationship with the company, and that you are now happy with your performance Nice car! Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Pefection," class of '71
Old 12-31-2001, 07:08 PM
chevluvr
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor

I just put the 330lb on mine a month ago. My wife noticed the improvement in her first ride since rear end rebuild. Major improvement! Just my $.02.

Good Luck!!
:chevy

[Modified by chevluvr, 5:08 PM 12/31/2001]

[Modified by chevluvr, 5:09 PM 12/31/2001]

[Modified by chevluvr, 5:09 PM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 07:10 PM
chevluvr
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor

I just put the 300lb on mine a month ago. My wifes noticed the improvement in her first ride since rear end rebuild. Major improvemnent! Just my $.02.

Good Luck!!
:chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (advice)

Quick Reply: Well this Vette brakes sale... i have to buy my Rear spring in the next two days... (advice)