C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Help With Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
cli59vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Suspension Upgrade

I have a 59 Corvete that I will be transplanting a 90' rear suspension into it. This I can hande with no problem (but as a first timer i welcome any pointers). But instead of buying a kit for the front, I was hoping to fabricate the mounting brakets myself, but having to keep the correct geometry, I am not sure how to proceed. Can any one offer instruction and a place to view what to do, or would it be best to just buy the front suspension kit (from Fatmanfab.com).

Thanks all and really enjoying becoming part of the forum.

Chris
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking C4 IRS and IFS or something else? I'm doing a Dana 44 from a 96 Vette into a 56 Nomad, so if this is the direction your headed I may be able to help you with Info.
Good luck
Russ
Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I built a '62 with C4 front and rear suspension. You can see the complete build at: www.carols62.com If you decide to go this route, I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

However, I would suggest that you might be better off buying a new frame that has provision for mounting the new suspension. If your old frame and suspension is in good condition you can probably sell it for almost as much as the cost of a new one. I am working on a '59 ( www.carols62.com/59 ) using one of Billy Dawson's frames, and I can tell you that it is much stiffer than the original frame I used on the '62.

If you can, you should go to Corvettes@Carlisle in August. There will be several exhibitors there that sell these frames, also numerous cars that have been converted.

Charles

Last edited by cbernhardt; 07-23-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
cli59vette
Instructor

Thanks for the input Charles. My frame is in great condition and a friend know's knows how to stiffen it up even more, but realy didn't think about a new frame due to budget. I also have the desire to do it myself. How much do you think you can get for a great 59' frame.

Also, to answer Russ's question. I am using the IRS from a 90' vette, and also wanted to use the IFS from the 90' vette also, but wouldn't use the cross member. So I would have to fab up the cross memeber and attaching points myself, but need to be on the money with the geometry. So is it worth it or just get the weld in kit from FatMAn Fab.

BTW Charles, the guys at FatMan had said that if my frame was in that good a condition, it's a keeper (their opinion anyway).
Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cli59vette
Thanks for the input Charles. My frame is in great condition and a friend knows how to stiffen it up even more, but really didn't think about a new frame due to budget. I also have the desire to do it myself. How much do you think you can get for a great 59' frame.
I got $6000 for my '59 rolling chassis, but is was NCRS restored.

also wanted to use the IFS from the 90' vette also, but wouldn't use the cross member. So I would have to fab up the cross memeber and attaching points myself, but need to be on the money with the geometry. So is it worth it or just get the weld in kit from FatMAn Fab.
Below is a picture of a subframe that was fabricated to attach a C4 front suspension to a '62 frame. The car is in Australia (right hand drive). Regulations over there did not permit cutting and replacing the frame in front, so he fabricated a subframe that attaches to the original frame. I have some more detailed pictures if you are interested.

BTW Charles, the guys at FatMan had said that if my frame was in that good a condition, it's a keeper (their opinion anyway).
Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It is just my opinion that modifying the old frame is more trouble than it is worth, but I also understand your desire to do it yourself.

Charles
Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
cli59vette
Instructor

Default ok, so where do we stand??

ok, so keep the existing frame or get a new one? but ultimately, how would i go about fabricating the needed hardware and brackets for the front suspension while keeping the geometry.

also, for charles, why did you go with dawson and not progressive or even art morrison?

it also appears that i probably will not get more than 3K for my frame and i do not think it'll sell that fast either.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

ok, so keep the existing frame or get a new one? but ultimately, how would i go about fabricating the needed hardware and brackets for the front suspension while keeping the geometry.
I suppose fabricating your own brackets for the front end would be a major pain. That's why I used the C4 crossmember. I guess if I had to do it I would construct a jig to hold the suspension and frame in their proper places and build the subframe to fit. I know, easier said than done.

There is a guy on the Chevytalk forum that did something similar to a Nomad. Here is a link to his site: http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

also, for charles, why did you go with dawson and not progressive or even art morrison?
1. I liked the design of the Dawson frame, particularly the double side rails and the open interior between the frame rails. Also very well constructed, nice welds.
2. His frame uses the full width C4 suspension (not sure about the others you mentioned)
3. Billy is a heck of a nice guy to deal with, very knowledgeable on all aspects of building one of these cars.

Note that with Billy's frame you will have to modify the rear differential "batwing" in order to fit in his frame, but that is something Billy can do for you if you don't like to weld aluminum.

Charles

Last edited by cbernhardt; 07-23-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...Also, to answer Russ's question. I am using the IRS from a 90' vette, and also wanted to use the IFS from the 90' vette also, but wouldn't use the cross member. So I would have to fab up the cross memeber and attaching points myself, but need to be on the money with the geometry. So is it worth it or just get the weld in kit from FatMAn Fab...

This is intresting. I have been wondering same at is it totally impossible to fabricate "bolt on" front crossmember wich would hold up the C4 A-arms and R&P .

I have found this crossmember kit wich seems to be quite easy to use / modify

http://www.seattlestreetrods.com/flatoutengineering.htm

Yes its far away from "bolt on" but much closer than starting from scratch
Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 AM
cli59vette
Instructor

Default Thanks Bow Tie

Appreciate the response. Would you say the front suspension off a 90 corvette is better than the aftermarket kits they sell.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cli59
Charles has put you onto ChevyNut, He is doing C4 stuff to his 56 Nomad and I have used his web site to get much info for my car.
I'm using the C4 IRS and narrowed the half shalf to make the hub to hub width 60", this allows me to run a deeper dish wheel. for the front I will go with the Art Morrison Bikini clip, you can get this setup in several different widths. Check it out on their web site and see if it will work for you.
Good luck
Russ
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
cli59vette
Instructor

Default Thanks guys

Do i need to know anything to get onto ChevyNut? Thanks guys, this forum is new to me but you guys have all been Awesome. Hopefully one day maybe we will cross paths. I live in NYC.

name's Chris
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Do i need to know anything to get onto ChevyNut? Thanks guys, this forum is new to me but you guys have all been Awesome. Hopefully one day maybe we will cross paths. I live in NYC.
name's Chris
Chevynut is a member of the Chevytalk forum (http://www.chevytalk.org/). All you should have to do is click on this link: http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

I sent you an email.

Charles
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 56 nomad looks cool but i think there could be way more fabbing ahead compared to flat outs custom crossmember

But what ever floats your boat

Last edited by bowtie racing; 07-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help With Suspension Upgrade

Quick Reply: Need Help With Suspension Upgrade