C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Again Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 01:37 AM
bandy123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Again Please!!!

Ok I put a new timing set in the stock 82 Vette.It has never even had a new water pump put on it.The guy at the shop said that it had jumped time??????? So I put a New timing Set in it. And set the timing TDC on number 1 plug and and on the distributor now it just turns over.It acts like its not fireing! i put a new distributor cap and rot, button. New coil, wires and plugs. Now What? I want to SHOOT IT BAD!!!!! I ran trouble code nothing can up but code 12 :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

[Modified by bandy123, 8:57 AM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 01:52 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (bandy123)

you need spark and fuel. Make sure you have these two things before freaKin out. distributor must be set in correct also.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:00 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

If the timing chain was so worn that is jumped gears it is not as simple as replacing the gear and chain. The easiest way is to set the motor to #1 TDC, align the timing gears and install the chain and then re-drop the distibutor at #1 firing position.

You did not mention any details if this is a stock motor or if there has been a cam change or other modifications. Other details on setting the timing depend on your particular motor.

[Modified by PatG, 12:03 AM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 02:01 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Well, assumeing that you put the cam in right, you can check to see if it's making fire buy pulling off a plug boot and turning it over. Again assuming that it was running before you took it apart the first time the FI should be giving it fuel unless you put something back together wrong. Pull the plugs to see if they're wet with gasoline. I don't know how to trouble shoot the FI but you can always go back to the basics, air/fuel/spark. Pull the valve covers to make sure the cam is in right by checking the valve phasing against the crank rotation and distributor rotor direction. Make sure all the vacuum ports are connected. I just did one that gave me a hell of a time until i remembered that the EGR valve had to be in the hole or there was a huge vaccum leak. good luck and keep us posted. someone here will be able to help you with the X/fire.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:51 AM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (PatG)

It it a a stock motor never had anything done to it. I know TDC I did it but its not getting fire. its getting fuel.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:06 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

If you are getting spark at the plugs but the engine won't fire, try turning the dist 180 degrees.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:07 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

If you know it's getting fuel but no spark The HEI is actually fairly easy to diagnose. You can even take it to be bench tested if you can find someone with the distributor test machine. If you did a cap and rotor, back track to make sure it went back together right. Check to make sure the rotor is turning when you crank it, dumber things have happened. If it didn't get dropped or somehow abused to the point of failure during the time it was out and it worked before the cam change, then it was probably something that was done during the instalation of the cap kit.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:39 PM
pabarny
Racer

Sounds as though you are 180 degrees out. That would be my first try before you tear everything down again. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:32 PM
bandy123
Instructor

I Have tried everything I tried it wasnt 180 out its not getting fire. traced all the wires another new coil cap and button. I wish there was Someone Here In Cleveland Tennessee that could help me. Dont know what to do. the guy that waqs working on the car couldnt figure it out so i had it towed to the house. so what can i do?
Old 12-29-2001, 06:53 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

If you checked to see if you had spark at plugs then I would check to see if you have power to the coil.You have an 82 so it is computer controled also.Do you have the wires to the dist connected in right places?I would check and see if you have power on the wire to distributor also.It could be your puter took a dive also.If you have power to the coil but nothing coming out then maybe you have a bad connection in the wires where they go thru the cap or the little power spring from coil thru the cap may not be making contact.Also check the ignition module in distributor.I rebuilt a tractor and couldn't get fire no how.Found the coil spring wasn't making contact.repaired that and had good fire then.
Was the engine running or not that the mechanic thought it had jumped time?What shape was the old chain and gears in?Were they actually worn that they might have slipped a tooth?
Old 12-29-2001, 06:59 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

As someone posted above,take dist cap off and make sure the rotor is turning when you turn the engine over.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:15 PM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (all smiles 81)

When I got the car last week. It ran on the way home.They Put a new 700R4 tranny in it. But on the way home from the shop i died when i pulled in my driveway. But it started up.i pulled it up and shut it off. And when I got up the next day.and went to start it it started popping (backfiring). So I had it towed $30.00 to the Shop They charged me $350.00 to tell me it had jumped time. I called the guy that put the tranny in and he said he could put the timing chain set on. So another $30.00 tow bill. to the guy that put the Tranny in. He put the Timing Chain set on. new water pump, the crank had play in it so i took it and had it turned. and he put it in. He got it back together. and Called me he said it would not start. So i went down there. I went and put all new parts into the distributor and it gets fire to the Coil. But nothing on number one plug. I have to get this thing going or sell it. i now have about $5500.00 in it. and cant DRIVE IT.I dont have another Car. Thanks Guy for all you help. :( :cry

[Modified by bandy123, 6:17 PM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 07:31 PM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (all smiles 81)

It is Turning
Old 12-29-2001, 10:47 PM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Bandy,

I don't know the '82 but I assume that with exception of the X-fire system, the HEI should be same as my '81.
You say, you don't see spark.
Check for 12 Volt at the HEI side connector. I think it is a red or pink wire, not sure though but you can't miss it. It is the thicker one.
Disconnect this wire or remove the HEI cap, remove the injector connectors , remove all spark plugs and crank the engine for about 15 seconds while flooring the accelerator pedal. I assume that the engine was completely flooded and cranking it this way will push out the excessive fuel in all cilynders.
Now rotate the crank with a wrench while you put one finger in the #1 sparkplug hole. Keep wrenching until you feel compression. Slowly continue turning untill the timing mark on the balancer points to Zero degree.
This is TDC on compression stroke. Now pull the HEI cap straight up. The Hei rotor should point slightly PAST (clockwise rotation) the #1 plug wire. If this is not the case, loosen the HEI base bolt and rotate untill it is just past the #1.
To exclude problems from the computer, unplug the 4-pole connector going to the HEI distributor. This will set the HEI in bypass mode, i.e no advance or firing control from computer is disabled. Put all plugs back and reconnect everything with the exception of the 4-pole HEI plug. The HEI should fire now and the car must start now. Take a timing light and rotate the distributor untill you see about 6 degree advance. (idle) Do not rev the engine above 1500 rpm since the connector is still disconnected. Shut car down and put the 4-pole connector back. If everything is OK, the car should fire up. If not, you have a computer problem or the alarm system inhibits spark.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Old 12-30-2001, 04:47 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

He put the Timing Chain set on. new water pump, the crank had play in it so i took it and had it turned. and he put it in.
UM! he pulled the crank while putting on a timing chain.
How much do you trust this guy/shop?

If you have fuel pumping, and you can actually see the fuel pumping into the throttle bodies with the air cleaner housing off. Then you need to follow the directions above to get the car started...

The computer is working if the fuel is pumping.
Get yourself a shop manual, it details the workings of the computer and the injection system...
Old 12-30-2001, 05:46 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Im not totally familiar with the 82 computor controlled HEI but if you have power to the coil but no spark at the plug, it could be a failing ignition module. ive had this happen to me on other HEI units before. Again im not sure, does any know if the 82 computor controlled HEI has the module mounted inside the cap like the others?

PS. if everything else was correct but the dist was 180 out, you would most likely get flames shooting out of the intake when attempting to start it.

[Modified by Jvette73, 3:48 AM 12/30/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 02:29 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (Jvette73)

TTT
How about an update Bandy

Get notified of new replies

To Help Again Please!!!

Old 12-31-2001, 09:19 AM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (Desertdawg)

Nothing yet. its cold i guess im going to try it today.
Old 01-01-2002, 03:57 PM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (rhoeven)

Ok I took the plugs out like you said. Man alot of gas came out. now i have to get the money for plugs lol. i will write back if it starts. Happy New year!!! And thanks Dewayne
Old 01-03-2002, 02:10 AM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Help Again Please!!! (bandy123) THANKS Its ALIVE

Just want to say Thanks for the help. It is running. It was the Plugs And a wire coming off the starter. If you guys ever need help And if I can I will> Thanks Again Dewayne

Quick Reply: Help Again Please!!!