C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pertronix Ignition questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 05:50 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pertronix Ignition questions

I need to get a tach drive HEI distributor with a separate coil. I looked at the Pertronix website. The Ignitor II setup looks really good, but it didn't specify this application (Corvette tach drive dist.). Does anybody know what's available out there? I don't want a big separate box-- there's no room for it, and it's UGLY. Help.
:chevy :chevy
Old 12-28-2001, 05:55 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Pertronix Ignition questions (MassVette)

I had the pertronix Ignitor II and had nothing but problems...I have heard of many other with similar fates..Mine only laste 2k miles..I am back with points and happy....However I here that Mallory makes a good unit..May wanna check it out
Old 12-28-2001, 10:46 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MassVette, I'm not entirely clear on what you're looking for, but I'll take a guess. Pertronix sells two different types of ignitions. One is a module that you install in your stock tach drive GM distributor. This one has nothing to do with HEI, so that's probably not what you're looking for. The other system they sell is a complete GM HEI distributor with their performance module and coil replacing the stock GM stuff. Unfortunately, they don't sell a tach drive version of this HEI distributor. There are a few companies that offer it, but be prepared to fork over about $500!

I'm also moving to a GM computer controlled HEI that doesn't support tach drive, so I'm installing the electronic tach from a '77 instead. It will work with the HEI tach connections.

-Joe
Old 12-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Massvette, I not sure of what you're trying to accomplish either. If you have a points, tach drive distributor that's in good condition, the electronic conversions from Petronix and Mallory are simple, effective, and low cost. I ran a standard Pertronix for 7 years and can only say good about it but, based upon numerous posts here, I can't recommend the Ignitor II. If you are looking to replace the distributor with an aftermarket tach drive unitl, your options are limited. Mallory makes one but no vacuum advance, there are aftermarket HEI's but they are pricey, and there is the MSD unit which requires the MSD box. Keep in mind that 99.99% of MSD boxes are bought by guys that don't have mechanical tachs and are just looking for a better ignition. If the extra performance of the MSD isn't worth the extra money, convert what you have. If you do decide to go the "deluxe" route, the MSD is easy to set up for performance use, the box can be hidden if you don't like it's looks, and the distributor/box combination costs about the same as a tach drive version of your grandmother's HEI.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:47 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MassVette, I just remembered your 2x4 carbed ZZ502 pictures from a few weeks ago. Now I think I know where you're going with this. You need a small body version of the tach drive HEI, right? I only know of one place to get it, here: http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/ This would feed into a normal coil without any type of ignition box.

-Joe
Old 12-29-2001, 01:14 AM
DaveP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a pertronix setup in my BB Olds t-bucket for 6 yrs now, hooked to a MSD 6AL and a timing computer and retard box. It works fine. In the '71 I went to a tach drive MSD billet distributor with a 6AL box in the passenger side storage bin behind the seat. Noone knows it is there, and I keep the mecyh tach. Pricy though.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:32 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Pertronix Ignition questions (DaveP)

Pertronix IgnitorII has worked well for me. I have fried two coils(my fault) by leaving the key in the on posistion with the engine not running. It IgnitorII survived my lack of attention both times. If its hooked up correctly with a compatable coil its a relaible set up. I should mention though, i did get a defective ignitorII out of the box the first time around. With this defective ignitor, the engine would not fire at all. Just like ive gotten defective stuff from other manufacturers as well. If all you want to do is upgrade from points, for the money, Pertronix is worth a stab in my opinion. The IgnitorII will handle the hottest stock size canister coils out there. Im using Accel 50k volt canister mounted in the stock location.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:06 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Pertronix Ignition questions (Vetterodder)

I have an original 1967 BB 4 sp. roadster with side pipes that lost it's motor. It's getting a replacement BB, but I need a distributor (the idiot that owned the car before me junked the tach drive transistor dist!). There have been a few advances in ignitions in the last 35 years, so I would like a distributor with up to date features.
He put a big ugly electronic tach in the dash, too! It's now all being returned to "normal".
:crazy: :yesnod: :crazy:
Old 12-29-2001, 03:14 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Tach drive distributor I got from MSD is PN8572; then ya need the 6A box. I bought from Summit; forget the $$ total. :)
Cruz

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix Ignition questions

Quick Reply: Pertronix Ignition questions