C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust advice or opinions????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 03:39 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice or opinions????

I have had some pretty extensive exhaust leaks for the last 3 years. A lot of them stemmed from bad exhaust pipes and a crack in my right side Ram horn. The exhaust pipes have been replaced and as soon as I recieve a few brackets and reducers, I will be installing new headers. My problem is that I already tried to install the headers, not knowing I was missing a few pieces. When I removed the left side ram horn, the gasket all but crumbled. When I determined that I couldn't complete the job, I re-installed everything including the ram horn without the gasket. Needless to say what was once a right side exhaust leak has become the mother of all exhaust leaks on both sides. I have lost all acceleration and power that the car once possesed, and I am not enjoying driving the car at all. Now for the choices......do I A) drive it as is for the next couple of weeks while I wait for the parts.....B) Install the new headers, and run with open headers(I have no idea if this is even possible)....or.....C) head to an autoparts store, buy a gasket and install it, even though I am going to be replacing everything within a couple of weeks! This is my daily driver so I can't just let the car sit, but it is running so badly right now, I don't know what I should do????? Opinions?????
Old 12-28-2001, 03:58 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust advice or opinions???? (Warp70)

I would fix the problems now. Exhaust in the cockpit is bad for your health. Open headers are extremly loud and not legal and fumes enter in the cabin. Get the gaskets and donuts and fix it properly. You never know how long parts are going to take to arrive
Old 12-28-2001, 04:08 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Open headers under the floorboards are not a nice way to wait for the traffic light to change......
Old 12-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the donuts and seal the leaks...especially if you already have been up there and can do the job within an hour. On the other hand I didn't know it, but I ran with one missing donut, and a cracked one on the other side for about four months...since it was my first V8 and it had side pipes I figured they just were supposed to be that loud. Two weeks shouldn't hurt you, and the fumes were bad only on cold starts, after they warmed up there were no fumes.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:34 PM
noskillz
Racer

Why would it take "weeks" to get exhaust gaskets? Just wondering...
Old 12-29-2001, 01:59 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust advice or opinions???? (noskillz)

Lots a exaust leaks can lead to burnt valves. i would fix it now
Old 12-29-2001, 12:40 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Exhaust advice or opinions???? (noskillz)

Why would it take "weeks" to get exhaust gaskets? Just wondering...
I already have the exhaust gaskets, but I ordered some brackets and reducers so that I could connect the Headers to my factory exhaust pipes. That's where the two weeks comes in to play.

I took your guys advice and I purchased another set of gaskets and I am going to put them on now, and just wait to do the headers when the other parts arrive. Good Advice Ladies and Gentlemen and I thank you all for your input. :)

[Modified by Warp70, 11:41 AM 12/29/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust advice or opinions????

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice or opinions????