C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ign lock in 79

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 01:06 PM
oger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ign lock in 79

How do I get the thing out? I have the shop manual but either I am getting dumber in my old age or it isn't correct. The car has cruise, tilt-telescopic wheel. I can't get the turn signal switch out. The manual says remove the column to instrument panel trim cover and the rubber bumper and C ring plastic retainer. The only thing under my cover is the switch for the trip meter. Help.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:51 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: Ign lock in 79 (oger)

I'm kind of lost from the information in your post.

I can't get the turn signal switch out. The manual says remove the column to instrument panel trim cover and the rubber bumper and C ring plastic retainer. The only thing under my cover is the switch for the trip meter. Help.
The trip meter switch is in the instrument cluster, if you want to pull the ign lock your in the wrong place.

You have to disassemble the top part of your column and yes this is a PIA.

Anyway, I'm going off memory so bare with me if I mess something.

1. Pull the horn cover, it just pull off.
2. Remove the screws holding the horn contact assembly in place. Be care of the horn contacts and the little springs that are in there.
3. Pull the locking screws and the main screw for the telescoping wheel.
4. Remove the steering wheel.
5. Remove the snap ring then nut holding the column extension cover in place.
6. Remove extension cover and all other peices for the telescoping wheel.
7. Remove the lock plate. This thing sucks if you don't have the right tools. It can be done without them, however they would simplfy things considerably. Without them the only thing you can do is compress the lock plate with your thumb while using your other hand to work out the snap ring. (Getting it out is much easier than getting it back in!!)
8. This should put you down to the turn signal cam. Remove the screw holding the turn signal lever in.
9. Remove the hazard switch. (This is an easy one to forget)
10. Remove the mounting screws. You may have to operate the cam to reach a couple of the screws.
11. Disount the wiring harness from the bottom of the column, it will be on the top of the column, if I remember correctly there will be a tab on each side. It is a long flat connector.
12. Pull the switch out, slowly guiding the wiring harness through the column, again if bubba worked on the car before, this could be a pain.
13. Once all this is out you have access to the screw that is holding the ignition lock in place. Remove the screw. Don't drop it, trust me when I say you do not want to go any further into the column than you already have.
14. Pull the lock out.

So here's the part I don't remember for sure. There is a plastic retainer ring that keeps the spring from the Telescoping mechanism in place. This ring positions the spring and makes the necessary horn contacts. When you pull it out - you will break it. What I don't remember is whether or not your going far enough in to get to this retainer. (I'm pretty sure you are.)
So here's the ecklers part number for a new one - 38635. You will need it.

Good luck, have fun (I know I did) - let me know if this is not clear or if you have any questions.

David
Old 12-28-2001, 04:10 PM
oger
Instructor

Default Re: Ign lock in 79 (DavidOrr)

I can't remove the turn signal lever. With the cruise wires and the bracket the lever bolts on with. The lever will not clear the jacket.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:00 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Again going off memory - and who's to say that mine hadn't had a visit from Bubba.

The Cruise wires are a difference set than the main harness, mine had a flat male connector at the bottom of the column. The connector was not mounted to anything, instead it was stuffed up under the heater duct that runs under the column. Remove that duct and you should be able to find the connector. If memory serves me correctly, these wires were a pain to feed up through the column, I don't even think I removed mine all the way. When you remove the screw from the turn signal cam, you should be able to pull out the peice of linkage that connects the cam to the lever. This will give you enough room to pull the cam out.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:02 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: Ign lock in 79 (DavidOrr)

One more thing, when you pull the duct work under the dash, you will more than likely disconnect the vaccum lines for the headlights. Make sure you get these reconnected.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:42 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If you go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering. You will find five papers on the T&T column disassembly. One written description. One blow-up diagram. Three separate pages of drawings on the disassembly. These along with the other posts here on the forum should help you out.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:14 AM
oger
Instructor

Default Re: Ign lock in 79 (Jim Shea)

Thanks I will take another look when it quits raining. The thing locked solid in my driveway and it's not worth getting soaked over.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:11 AM
oger
Instructor

Don't try to download corvettefaq.com it has a virus. I used my wifes computer and may have caused my early demise

Get notified of new replies

To Ign lock in 79

Quick Reply: Ign lock in 79