C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels: 16" front 17" back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:06 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wheels: 16" front and 17" back?

IMO, 17" rims on all 4 corners on a C3 looks like a hotwheel car and I prefer 16" rims. But the more I look at pictures of 16" rims on C3s, the more it looks like a 17" rim would look better on the rear. It would also provide more options since one could put more meat on the back with a 17x9.5 rim. I'm using pictures of American Racing's Torque Thrust II's as a comparison.

Has anyone done this or thought of this? What could the problems be? What about performance issues? How this would look?

Thanks for reading! :seeya

[Modified by FroDaddy, 9:07 AM 12/28/2001]
Old 12-28-2001, 12:14 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Wheels: 16" front and 17" back? (FroDaddy)

Right after I posted this, I thought I might have been crazy for thinking such a thing (ricer came to mind very quickly). But after some searching, I've come up with a couple of pictures that helped me visualize the idea.

The first is of 1970 Stingray's vette (hopefully he won't mind me using a picture from his wepage :crazy:) with 16" TT2's. IMO the front rim/tire looks perfect inside the wheel well, but the rear rim/tire looks just a tad bit undersized.

IMO, this next vette with the 17" front rim/tire looks too big but the rear rim/tire looks perfect.

Can anyone help out with this idea and the questions I've asked above? Thanks! :)

[Modified by FroDaddy, 11:16 AM 12/28/2001]
Old 12-28-2001, 12:24 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO its more trouble than its worth. I prefer things nice and balanced and have 17x8 on both front and rear for easy tire rotation.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I thought thinner sidewalls might be nice in the front for crisper turn-ins and more sidewall meat in the rear was preferable for more traction. ??? Maybe I'm missing something tho.

Something else to consider, you could go with 17x8 in front and 17x10 (or whatever) in rear and have more meat in the rear that way. And depending on tire choice, you could have taller tires in the rear with this setup.

good luck!
-terry
Old 12-28-2001, 12:25 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

On another similar thread just now here, I stated I have 17x9.5 rims from a '92 all around....with 2.5 inch vette brakes adaptors.....
now that Nitto has seen wisdom of making a 275/50/17 tire for the rear, that hot wheels look is gone....looks SO much better, Z rated still.....and a bit cheaper than the stock goodyear/BFG replacements sizes....

GENE
Old 12-28-2001, 12:57 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Wheels: 16" front and 17" back? (mrvette)

terryrudy: Very good point and it's something that I didn't think about. When I do swap out the stock rims, my purpose for it is to have wide meats on the back so I can hook up and add a meaner look to put the sting in stingray. I'm not sure if this will lead to 8in wide front and 9.5/10 rear, but having equal tire sizes on all 4s would save money. For looks, I'm not sure if I could bear how 17" TT2's look on C3s. Then again, with some fender flares... :)

mrvette: You live in Orange Park!? That's about 20 minutes north from GCS. I would like to meet up with you if you wouldn't mind? I'd love to see your C3!
Old 12-28-2001, 02:47 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original Corvette's had a 27" tall tire or so. If you go shorter (mine are 25.6) you must compensate by closing the gap between the fender and tire. I really think it's all in the ride height. The trouble is that anything short of changing coil springs in the front isn't going to change the ride height. The rear is simple though. I've had a number of people tell me they like the stance of my car, and I can't say I blame them. I'm happy with the amount of gap between my short tires and fender.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:35 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Frodaddy IMHO don't think it would look bad with 16's & 17's, it would be similar to the C5's with 17's in front & 18's in the back.

One thing to consider when having different size wheels/ tires front & back is that you lose the ability to rotate your wheels if that matters. :cheers:
Old 12-28-2001, 05:56 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Wheels: 16" front and 17" back? (SmokedTires)

Stingy74: Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely going to have to keep that in mind. I'm not sure if I could lower it my vette more than it already is because the headers hang low and are limiting my clearance already.

SmokedTires: I'm not too concerned with rotating the tires, but it's definitely something I need to consider. Thanks for letting me use your pic! I think the 17"s work on your vette because you have alot going on with the sidepipes and the raised hood. Since mine would have the stock look with minor additions, I feel the 16" would be the only way to go on the front. It's going to be more expensive if I went with 16" front/17" rear, but I'm very picky when it comes to appearance and this seems like the only aftermarket rim setup that I would like. My preference being Wheel Vintiques Cruzer rims in 16"/17" sizes.. but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels: 16" front 17" back?

Quick Reply: Wheels: 16" front 17" back?