C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 03:18 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires

Hello All:

As mentioned in other posts I am closing in on my 383 rebuild and 200 R4 Tranny for the '76... Failed to note which wires go to the starter solinoid... I know the black cable from the battery goes to the top post, I believe the red insulated wire goes to the post as well... I believe the smaller wire goes to the bat terminal, and then I have a heavier green wire with a large eye end on it that I can't remember where it goes... Can someone take a look at the solinoid and tell me which ones go where?????
Old 12-28-2001, 09:56 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires (Carl in LA)

If your still using the HEI distributor The "R" terminal is usually not used(furthest out from the motor) the "S" terminal is usually a 14 gauge wire (color Varies) that's the small terminal close to the motor. that one comes from your Ignition switch. I would guess the green wire if it has a big eye on it is because some one "tapped" a good 12 volt power source for something they added to the car. It would also go on the "bat terminal" with your battery cable and your Big red. Most Hei equipped starters only use two terminals on the starter.:)
Old 12-28-2001, 11:04 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Default Re: Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires (paso)

Paso... I know you're on the right track.. I wonder if the green wire get attached to something else, like on the face of the firewall???

I complicated matters by useing a plastic wire comb to combine all the wires into the same path... I can't rely on the memory of the wire to guide me to the right spot.

Here is an address for a rebuild pic.... Someday I will have to learn how to use the code
http://www.geocities.com/carlsvacati...?1009553122950

[Modified by Carl in LA, 9:06 AM 12/28/2001]

[Modified by Carl in LA, 9:08 AM 12/28/2001]

[Modified by Carl in LA, 9:26 AM 12/28/2001]
Old 12-28-2001, 11:47 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have a 69, so my wire colors may be different, but I did not see you mention connecting the ground anywhere. Is it possible that the green wire is your ground that bolts to the bellhousing?

AC
Old 12-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Default Re: Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires (A C)

That is possible... I also had a black wire that I remember and did bolt into the lowest passenger side trans mount bolt.... Was there a second one!!! :rolleyes:
Old 12-28-2001, 12:22 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

No, there should be only one. On mine it is black, but I wasn't sure if you had connected it yet.

AC
Old 12-28-2001, 01:46 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Default Re: Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires (A C)

Which means I'm still on the hunt for the green one! We have a great weekly car show over at Fudruckers in Pasadena every Saturday evening hosted by Corvettes Unlimited... several C3's show weekly... even '76 and '77s... I may just have to stick my head under the hood and click a pic to compare with my own situation... I would hate to have this be the one thing that keeps me firing that baby up on Saturday!
Old 12-28-2001, 05:52 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to answer and run this morning. Just got back. One thing about hooking the wires up at the starter they are self protecting. Other words the worst thing that will happen is NOTHING. Hook your batt cable and your large red wire to the center post . The small wire to your "S" terminal . Those we know for 100% as being correct. Leave your large eye green wire off. Hop in the car and turn your Igntion switch to start and see if it starts or at least cranks. If It does not do anything put the green wire on the center batt post. Then Start, as it will now. If it starts the first way then check in the car and see what is not working as the green wire then was a accessory power jump. The ground wire mentioned above usually bolts to a stud behind the starter(on tranny side)

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires

Quick Reply: Need Help on '76 Solinoid Wires