C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flames on the hood??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 08:48 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flames on the hood??????

i was thinking.....you know the pearlescent? paint that changes colour depending which way you look at it..well, what would some flames starting at the rise of my hood and extending back to the edge(just on the high rise part) look like. so you could only get a glimpse of them when you look at it at certain angles.i think it would look :cool: when you drive by someone...any opinions???? the car is black,so maybe silver or red???

[Modified by 1bad69, 7:49 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 08:53 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (1bad69)

ghost flames would look cool..my .o2 cents..in a deep purple or something thats you could only see in the sun...im partial to flames anyway done alot of harleys and cars and helmets.

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 7:54 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 08:54 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (pats406nitrovette)

yes..purple would be cool...just so happens that is my favourite colour.... :cool:
Old 12-27-2001, 08:54 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have a ghost "fireball" added. It would look awesome, but if you use the wrong kind of perl or flake, the flames might be difficult to see even at the best angle. I'd hate to see all that money go into the flames and them not be visible, so make sure you pick a good paint.

Aside from that, I like the idea. Very :cool:

Daniel
Old 12-28-2001, 10:33 AM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

A guy in my club has the front of his c4 done up that way, black car with a very subtle deep purple flame. I had some pics at home I'll try to find and post it later. It is a rather cool effect, he wins alot of area shows with it.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:40 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (n8370c)

that is what i was thinking about having done when i get to painting my car. if you do it, be sure to post some pics.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:54 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Ghost flames possibly, your car is perfect in my eyes. For sure wouldn't want the flames to be the focal point of the car.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:04 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (Vetteboy)

that is what i was thinking about having done when i get to painting my car. if you do it, be sure to post some pics.
Ditto! :cool:
Old 12-28-2001, 03:43 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (Mike69)

That's exactly what I wanted to do to mine as well, ghost flames just on the high rise part of the hood :yesnod:

I think it would look awesome, just make sure you go with a painter that has done this before.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:26 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

I think that would look very :cool: "IF" you can find someone that can do a very tasteful flame design. :yesnod: The other thing... if you can be there to approve the flame design before it gets painted on to YOUR vette...would be a smart thing because not everybody can design great looking flames! I love flames and have custom painted about 20 or so cars and trucks with flames. When painting ghost flames with pearl... lighting is very important and I think you should make it clear to the painter of what YOU expect... I also think if your going to go with ghost flames what would look the best is just a very light out line of the flame design so it's mostly black and you see a very faint out line of the flame design :yesnod: :cool: Here is a pic of my Pro Street Truck with Candy Apple flames

[Modified by Intimidator454, 9:55 AM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 12:19 AM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on what the actual type your talking about Yes, maybe, no.
I painted Chromalusion, Chamelion.... type paint on a spare set of fenders. This is the paint that actually changes colors-complete color change.
Normally it is said that it only works over very dark colors and is suposed to be over black.
I painted bands red, blue purple and black.
Black had the most pronounced color change, about 5 colors including blue, red and purple. The color was purpleen.
The red, purple and blue bands also did a color change. The red ghosted the red color change and the blue band ghosted the blue color change. All other color changes were quite visable on these colors. The paint was laid heavier than I guess is normal.
I did solid coats and a fish scale pattern (this was a trial idea for a boat)
The best use of this paint is a high contrast use such as flames or scales. A design where there is none of it that can contrast very tightly with a good concentration. I didn't like the complete coverage fender over black paint.
Light coats of this type of paint will create a ghost affect even over black. It's very very expensive but well used for small things like flames on your hood.

I found that both Flip -flop and this cromalusion paint to be very affective on a un-flat body like the vette has. Both rely on the angle change for the affect and the vette has alot of changes to it.

The other paint is flip-flop. It changes from a color tinted like pearl in reflected sunlight and an opposite color in shade. This paint is put over white rather than black for the full affect. My Vette is painted with red flip-flop over white. A center stripe that wraps around the back of the car is/was black. I didn't know that red flip-flop over black makes purple, Oh well. I still like it though. So I would assume if you sprayed this over a dark color it wouldn't ghost too well but could be done with a light coat. I know this is used for that affect.

Then there is pearl. It doesn't really change color and I don't think this is what your thinking of, although it can be done.

Mostly the ghost affect is nothing more than a lighter or darker color than the base color.

But to take it further the Chroma-lusion paint can be bought in several base spreads. They change about 5 colors each. An ounce costs about $40. You could spray the flames in one "color" but not the whole flame. switch and spray the tips with another "color" You get the idea. This would give a color change But the colors begin, range and end in a the color you select for the area you want. like red to purple. another flavor would begin with purple and end with red.

The boat idea was great but I would have gone nutzs and broke covering my boat with fish scales, Painted with an airbrush using a template. move shift paint....I've gone to a simpler more sane scheme...so far.

Something I did on my boat was print a picture out in black and white, I suppose color would work in your case since you want your car color showing. Then take markers and draw the idea on the picture. You should be able to eliminate quite few bad flame ideas and narrow it down to a few good styles, sizes and areas of use.

Then do what I did, buy some paint and try the idea out on something, you might not like it and is much cheaper than buying a full amount.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:07 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,066 Posts

This isn't a good picture of my ghost flames. At one time I had them also down each side front fender. but it got hit twice while parked the first year I had them so they came off. They are a combo of colors and you have to look more directly at them to really see them "Ghost"

[Modified by gkull, 1:10 AM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 03:29 AM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (gkull)

If gkulls what you were thinking about, go for it. :cool:
Old 12-30-2001, 03:19 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (gkull)

Gkull those look awesome! :cool: Nice touch~!
Old 12-30-2001, 03:43 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (Mike69)

really cool :cheers:
Old 12-30-2001, 06:33 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Default Re: Flames on the hood?????? (QuickVet)

thanks for the input guys....something to consider for next year...

Get notified of new replies

To Flames on the hood??????

Quick Reply: Flames on the hood??????