C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Remove Locktite from bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Remove Locktite from bolt?

Any ideas how to remove Locktite from a bolt? My son has a nut on a stud that he can't budge because of the locktite. The stud will come out but the nut will not come off the stud. Thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my guess is that he is a nut and not a stud?

On the other hand... I always use the 2 nuts tightened onto each other on the opposite end of the stud to remove a stubborn nut...

but looks like google recommendation is for heat.

Cj
Old 07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Any ideas how to remove Locktite from a bolt? My son has a nut on a stud that he can't budge because of the locktite. The stud will come out but the nut will not come off the stud. Thanks

This is a Friday funny right???
Old 07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If the nut ans stud can be dropped in a jar, acetone should dissolve it after a god soak.

Other wise, heat, like propane torch.

Doug
Old 07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
This is a Friday funny right???
Yep, your answer helped him very much. Thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cj_
my guess is that he is a nut and not a stud?

On the other hand... I always use the 2 nuts tightened onto each other on the opposite end of the stud to remove a stubborn nut...

but looks like google recommendation is for heat.

Cj
That worked! He got it apart with working it back and forth with the 2 nuts. Now he will try soaking them in acetone. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
cladkeeper
Advanced

Just for future reference, red locktite is different from blue locktite. Blue is recommended for locking threads. Nuts, bolts, etc.. I don't think red is used on threads, generally speaking.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by cladkeeper
Just for future reference, red locktite is different from blue locktite. Blue is recommended for locking threads. Nuts, bolts, etc.. I don't think red is used on threads, generally speaking.
Actually there are many different types of Loctite, with Purple, Blue, Red, and Green being the liquid colors that I am aware of and have used. There are also semi-solid stick versions, and low viscosity versions (that can be applied after the joint is assembled), and even versions that will stick to oily surfaces. See webpage:

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...on%3Dsearch%7C

As for removal of a nut or stud, see following info from one of Loctite's specs:

Loctite® Threadlocker 277™ is a high strength adhesive for locking and sealing large bolts and studs 1" (25 mm) or larger in diameter. Heat may be required to weaken bond before parts can be disassembled

Heat is the typical method of degrading the bond of the threadlocker.

Plasticman
Old 07-12-2008, 05:24 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Actually there are many different types of Loctite, with Purple, Blue, Red, and Green being the liquid colors that I am aware of and have used. There are also semi-solid stick versions, and low viscosity versions (that can be applied after the joint is assembled), and even versions that will stick to oily surfaces. See webpage:

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...on%3Dsearch%7C

As for removal of a nut or stud, see following info from one of Loctite's specs:

Loctite® Threadlocker 277™ is a high strength adhesive for locking and sealing large bolts and studs 1" (25 mm) or larger in diameter. Heat may be required to weaken bond before parts can be disassembled

Heat is the typical method of degrading the bond of the threadlocker.

Plasticman

Green Loctite is just a step below welding the nut on. Be carefull.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cladkeeper
It was the BLUE 242 medium.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:44 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

We use all the Loctite products in our business, and all can be loosened by heating. Loctite 620 is the highest temperature type they make, and it is only good to 450 degrees.

Bottom line, try heating with a propane torch until you can break it loose, you won't damage the steel bolt and nut.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Already broke it loose with 2 nuts. Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 PM
aojo
Advanced

Default painting project

Oy Ken.. while you guys take a break and move to neutral corners, I would like to mention your paint job looks great and if you need another project, I'll drag my 57 from San Diego up for you to paint... keith
Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Tri-5 cars are some of my favorites. Had a 55 post car, and 2 55 Nomads. I would love to do a 57! But working on my son's truck and still need to do my 65 Corvette. Maybe in a couple of years?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

Okay, even though the problem from the original post has been solved by double nutting the stud, I just want to chime in supporting the benefits of applied heat. Keeping a simple $10.00 propane torch from Harbor Freight will get you out of a lot of jams and is especially great for removing siezed A/C orifice tubes and seperating a/c lines when dissimilar metals are used.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Default Good Work

It looks like you do good work, Ken.

It takes a very thick skin sometimes on this forum. My first thread was brutal. Heck, it even generated a long thread on the Valley Forum.

I "do" have thin skin but have been trying to toughen it up. It's a challenge sometimes. Especially when you ask for it to stop...and it continues. You just have to be the bigger man, sometimes.

All in all, I find this forum enjoyable and most guys are pretty helpful and complementary. We're all car guys at heart. We just need to show those big hearts toward each other and mostly have fun.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon and your car!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Okay, even though the problem from the original post has been solved by double nutting the stud, I just want to chime in supporting the benefits of applied heat. Keeping a simple $10.00 propane torch from Harbor Freight will get you out of a lot of jams and is especially great for removing siezed A/C orifice tubes and seperating a/c lines when dissimilar metals are used.
Ray,

Thought you used the hair dryer for that. Maybe you could sell it to me and I won't need one of the $10 torches Actually I have one of those torches but the butane was gone from my son using it to light fireworks a year ago. He thought it worked great. Well, at least he didn't burn down the house!

Get notified of new replies

To Remove Locktite from bolt?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 53 Blue Flame Brett
It looks like you do good work, Ken.

It takes a very thick skin sometimes on this forum. My first thread was brutal. Heck, it even generated a long thread on the Valley Forum.

I "do" have thin skin but have been trying to toughen it up. It's a challenge sometimes. Especially when you ask for it to stop...and it continues. You just have to be the bigger man, sometimes.

All in all, I find this forum enjoyable and most guys are pretty helpful and complementary. We're all car guys at heart. We just need to show those big hearts toward each other and mostly have fun.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon and your car!

Have a great day also and love that motor in your car!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I noticed Dave (youwish2bme) deleted some of his posts here? Or a moderator deleter them? Maybe we should delete all of them and start over? I didn't want to start anything nor have I ever started anything with any forum member. Again, just looking for help and don't need negative comments. Maybe the moderator can make it all go away
Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I noticed Dave (youwish2bme) deleted some of his posts here? Or a moderator deleter them? Maybe we should delete all of them and start over? I didn't want to start anything nor have I ever started anything with any forum member. Again, just looking for help and don't need negative comments. Maybe the moderator can make it all go away
Nope told you I don't do that. A mod must of.... Oh btw just because you don't like a comment doesn't make it negative...

Quick Reply: Remove Locktite from bolt?