C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would like to extend a public “Thank you” to Mike Hornback from Straightline

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:44 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A public “Thank you” to Mike Hornback from Straightline Performance

who saved my butt this morning when nobody else could.

I was at the track last night and while loading a tune in my car, my HP Tuner lost communication during the flashing process, resulting in a car I was unable to start or communicate with using my laptop and interface.

After posting a thread on HP’s forum and getting only a few marginal suggestions (none of which helped) I called Mike and interrupted him while he was on the dyno. He informed me that the ODB connector needed a minimum of 11.5 volts otherwise you wouldn’t be able to communicate with it.

When I went back to the car this morning I discovered that sure enough, there was just a little over 11 volts showing on my multimeter so after hooking up a set of jumper cables, I was able to reload my tune and the car fired right up after that.

I know this sounds pretty harsh, but how bad is it when someone from the company who makes the software isn’t able to offer up this information but a tuner who’s only an end-user of the product can? If it weren’t for Mike my car would still be sitting there broken or have been towed to the dealership for what amounts to nothing more than slightly low voltage in my battery.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to my saga.

Christopher

Last edited by thesubfloor; 07-10-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

oh, it' s pretty bad. but then, ask yourself the question: why was my battery sitting at just a tad over 11 volts? that could be trouble, yes?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

Originally Posted by AORoads
oh, it' s pretty bad. but then, ask yourself the question: why was my battery sitting at just a tad over 11 volts? that could be trouble, yes?
I haven't had any trouble with it before last night or today since I picked up the car so I'm pretty sure it was due to the heat and having my headlights on while loading the tune.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor

I was at the track last night and while loading a tune in my car, my HP Tuner lost communication during the flashing process, resulting in a car I was unable to start or communicate with using my laptop and interface.

After posting a thread on HP’s forum and getting only a few marginal suggestions (none of which helped) I called Mike and interrupted him while he was on the dyno. He informed me that the ODB connector needed a minimum of 11.5 volts otherwise you wouldn’t be able to communicate with it.

When I went back to the car this morning I discovered that sure enough, there was just a little over 11 volts showing on my multimeter
after hooking up a set of jumper cables, I was able to reload my tune and the car fired right up after that.

I know this sounds pretty harsh, but how bad is it when someone from the company who makes the software isn’t able to offer up this information but a tuner who’s only an end-user of the product can? If it weren’t for Mike my car would still be sitting there broken or have been towed to the dealership for what amounts to nothing more than slightly low voltage in my battery.

Christopher
Glad you got everything fixed Christopher.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I haven't had any trouble with it before last night or today since I picked up the car so I'm pretty sure it was due to the heat and having my headlights on while loading the tune.
well then, that's good news!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GotVett?
I would have been too if it hadn't been for the fact someone vandalized the car overnight. They ripped off both mirrors and kicked in the driver's side fender so I can't get my door open properly now.

I guess that it could have been worse in the grand scheme of things since they could have done a lot more damage to the car.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went back to the car this morning I discovered that sure enough, there was just a little over 11 volts showing on my multimeter so after hooking up a set of jumper cables, I was able to reload my tune and the car fired right up after that.

Christopher
Mike and the rest of the guys at Straightline are awesome. They did the initial mods on my C6 and worked late to make sure I was back on the road when I needed to be. Glad to hear he was able to help you out but I'm not surprised he stepped up like that.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by matsarge
Mike and the rest of the guys at Straightline are awesome. They did the initial mods on my C6 and worked late to make sure I was back on the road when I needed to be. Glad to hear he was able to help you out but I'm not surprised he stepped up like that.
The thing that I find even more curious is that my post on HP's site is pretty darn harsh yet nobody from the company could be bothered to step up and either defend themselves or explain how I might have been in the wrong.

If I were in there shoes I would have at least conceded that it was a shortcoming on their part and in the interest of good customer service they'd try to amend their documentation for people having this problem in the future.

I also got a PM from another tuner who told me that the interface is *supposed* to read the voltage before attempting to flash the PCM so that this very thing doesn't happen.

Glad to see that part of their software is working correctly - NOT!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have been too if it hadn't been for the fact someone vandalized the car overnight. They ripped off both mirrors and kicked in the driver's side fender so I can't get my door open properly now.

I guess that it could have been worse in the grand scheme of things since they could have done a lot more damage to the car.
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Man, I can't belive it. It'll all work out, but, hope those azzholes get what they deserve.

Get notified of new replies

To I would like to extend a public “Thank you” to Mike Hornback from Straightline

Quick Reply: I would like to extend a public “Thank you” to Mike Hornback from Straightline