C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 side pipe insulation installation q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 10:53 AM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '69 side pipe insulation installation q's

This question is about a ’69 with sidepipes and installing the insulators. Here’s my questions:

1) I should install these prior to mounting the body right? I was thinking the answer is yes and also that I’d tie them in place using some twine. That way, if I’m awake enough to leave the knot on the bottom of the frame, I can untie them after the body’s on and there’ll be no trace of what held them while the body was installed. Or can they be installed afterward?
2) The diagram in my manual doesn’t quite match the actual part I have. There’s no way I can fold that thing the way they show it (doubled back on itself). The part is a flat chunk of pressed insulation, covered on one side with foil and is exactly wide enough to bend around the frame and cover the side and top of the frame. How did you install yours? One bend or??
3) The part has a foil backing. Which way does the foil face- frame or body sill?
4) The foil extends past the insulation for about an inch along one, long side. What do you do with that? I was thinking that end folded around the bottom edge to hide/protect the insulation that would normally be exposed.
Thanks for any help/insight you can give!
Old 12-27-2001, 12:23 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '69 side pipe insulation installation q's (JYD69_427)

Ok this is what I did and it may not be the right way but I did it any way:
1. I kept my old insulation and the foil faced toward the body and the insulation faced the frame.
2. I held the new insulation in place with a couple pieces of tape when we put the body back on.
3. Once the body was on I un did the tape and positioned the insulation to where I thought it would be most effective covering most of the outside frame rail and the top of the frame rail.
4. I then held it in place with some aluminum tape used for heating ducts on the inside of the frame rail where it could not be seen.
I saw a diagram one time about how the insulation was to be folded and and I said the heck with that. The insulation was way to springie (if that is a word) to try to fold it like they showed. My car was an original 69 side pipe car from the factory and the factory insulation was not folded like that.
Hope that helps a little.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:43 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Default Re: '69 side pipe insulation installation q's (James)

It helps alot, thanks James!

You're right, that stuff sure wouldn't be easy to fold up like that illustration shows it doing. It's gonna be hard enough to fold one 90 let alone what they show...

thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To '69 side pipe insulation installation q's

Quick Reply: '69 side pipe insulation installation q's