Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] If we're talking heat, let's talk radiators...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If we're talking heat, let's talk radiators...

Another thread started yesterday engages the conversation of heat, and temps. seen by ZO6 owners. I already said my piece; if you live anywhere where it gets really hot-(almost everywhere in the summer), I say get an aftermarket high capacity... Better safe than sorry...

So, with this in mind, and while not trying to start a war, which is best and why? (opinions of course)

DeWitts or Ron Davis or other? Lay it on me.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

they are both good....I have no personal experience with DeWitts....I have Ron Davis and AFCO in my cars (drag and street/strip cars) and they both work extremely well....
Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ron Davis rad in my C6 has been outstanding.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Ron Davis for me!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
I found that 99% of people will recommend what they bought because it justifies their choice and decision. We all do it. I just bought a new LG HDTV and I love it, but that's my only experience with HD. I really don't know if the others are better quality, but I'll go on and on about the great deal (i think) I got. My point is, only someone that has used several brands can really give an accurate accessment of the products.

I also understand that about 50% of what I say on the forum is presumed propaganda, and I'm ok with that. So here is my opinion...

I think RD makes a fine product, probably one of the best made radiators on the market. Contrary to popular belief, we use the exact same cores, with the same fin count and tube width. Which means they both cool exactly the same, neither is a better cooler. Often I hear someone say "use the RD for racing and DeWitts for drivers" and I have no idea where that comes from.

DeWitts offers these differences:
1. We specialize is Corvette radiators only, nothing else.
2. All major Corvette dealers selected DeWitts for fit and function
3. Prices are lower
4. Delivery is better
5. Warranty is 3 years
6. We use press formed end tanks without cuts and welded seams
7. Direct Fit radiators require no mods to install
8. Our oil coolers are bigger and centered to minimize retrictions
9. DeWitts is a Corvette forum sponsor (paying the light bill here)
10 We make our own cores in our new nocolok furnace

Hope that helps

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-13-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
Another thread started yesterday engages the conversation of heat, and temps. seen by ZO6 owners. I already said my piece; if you live anywhere where it gets really hot-(almost everywhere in the summer), I say get an aftermarket high capacity... Better safe than sorry...

So, with this in mind, and while not trying to start a war, which is best and why? (opinions of course)

Either DeWitts or Ron Davis would be great. If you want to something that will REALLY enhance either of them, get a louvered hood.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

11. Forget to mention Pratt & Miller switched to DeWitts for the GM Corvette C6R
Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

Default Cooling Difference

Anybody know - Tom probably would - how much more cooling capacity a Dewitt/RD (if the same tubes) has than the factory. Or maybe just general capacity differences not sure how big the factory C-6 Z 06 radiator is in fin size and rows (1-1 inch tube versus DeWitts 2 - 1 inch tubes?). Is there some kind of a BTU rating??? I thought I also saw somebody got about 20 degrees cooler than stock with a DeWitt's.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by double06
Anybody know - Tom probably would - how much more cooling capacity a Dewitt/RD (if the same tubes) has than the factory. Or maybe just general capacity differences not sure how big the factory C-6 Z 06 radiator is in fin size and rows (1-1 inch tube versus DeWitts 2 - 1 inch tubes?). Is there some kind of a BTU rating??? I thought I also saw somebody got about 20 degrees cooler than stock with a DeWitt's.
They hold about a gallon more due to the increase number of tubes and larger end tanks. While that sounds really neat, it doesn't do much for cooling. The heat removal is in the tubes, not the volume of fluid.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
gabbagabbahey
Instructor

Tom, a bit OT, but how does the radiator w integrated oil cooler for the base C6 compare w a separate oil cooler / radiator combo. (both for oil / water temps) ?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 PM
atomicfusion
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Dewitts in my LSX TT C6Z06 and think it looks and works awesome. I even have the custom 2 fan shroud setup.

I give a big thumbs up to Dewitts! (maybe because I own one)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
Tom, a bit OT, but how does the radiator w integrated oil cooler for the base C6 compare w a separate oil cooler / radiator combo. (both for oil / water temps) ?
The Z06 (air type) are nice, as they use ambient air as the cooling media, the aftermarket ones can even be larger in size than the stock one, and they can handle a whole lot more oil flow than can an internal cooler. I guess the only drawback to air type is that you might over cool if the air is cold enough, and that requires a bypass.

The Z51 (internal type) are nice too, but we are limited to how big they can be because they have to fit inside the end tank. Our coolers are more than double what GM used (7 plate vs 3 plate) and it really is plenty of cooler for 99% of the applications. The drawback here is the heat removed from the oil goes into the coolant. The other problem is that these coolers were not designed to handle 100% of the oil pump flow and they should use a 7 psi bypass (like the factory GM unit has). That a whole new discussion.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is rich with good info. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
C5&C6-Racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GMuffley
This thread is rich with good info. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
Either DeWitts or Ron Davis would be great. If you want to something that will REALLY enhance either of them, get a louvered hood.

How many styles of louvered hoods are out there? Are they all functional and are they solid enough for 160-200 MPH runs?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by HNK
How many styles of louvered hoods are out there? Are they all functional and are they solid enough for 160-200 MPH runs?

Katech is working on one
There is the World Challenge hood
LG has one
Caravaggio has a vented hood

Anything with a frame underneath is solid. If you're doing a lift off hood you may need some reinforcement.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Often I hear someone say "use the RD for racing and DeWitts for drivers" and I have no idea where that comes from.
You will hear that because when you first came on the forum. You said that you used a different fin count that works better for the street and lower speeds. That is were this "idea" came from.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To If we're talking heat, let's talk radiators...

Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

One thing that Tom DeWitt notes - - If Ron Davis makes a unit for the ZO6, why is there trimming needed for the shroud? As Tom states, his requires no trimming. I want plug & play. Anyone want to venture a guess? Are there material advantages to fan upgrades? Anyone with personal experience with this?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
You will hear that because when you first came on the forum. You said that you used a different fin count that works better for the street and lower speeds. That is were this "idea" came from.

Randy
We changed our fin density for late model cars because we recognized most of these upgrades were for high speed racers. We can do that because we make our own fin, we assemble our own cores, and we braze them in house in our own state of the art furnace.

Member since Jan 2000
Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Cooler Z06s

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
We changed our fin density for late model cars because we recognized most of these upgrades were for high speed racers. We can do that because we make our own fin, we assemble our own cores, and we braze them in house in our own state of the art furnace.

Member since Jan 2000
Tom,

So far i have gotten 5 units from you sent to to the UAE. two have been installed and the owners of the two cars are very happy with the reduction of temp in our 115+ temps. The other 3 will be in hand on saturday and installed by monday. will keep you posted on those as well.
On a different note, when i hook up the tranny cooler lines to your unit, how much oil should i add?

finally, thanks for the great service and special thanks to Christyn for arranging all for us.

Quick Reply: [Z06] If we're talking heat, let's talk radiators...