C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cleaning Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
chevylu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning Injectors

At the risk of being called a heretic, has anyone ever tried something like this with your injectors?

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=82
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

by the time yoU buy all the parts and solvent you can send them to us we charge 15.00 per injector with all the parts,, they get ultrasonically cleaned, flow tested and leak tested. Then they are refinished and sent back the next day. We have been serviceing injectors for almost 30 yrs.
http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...iewCat&catId=3

Last edited by FICINJECTORS; 07-08-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Hi I seen where someone used a reuseable paint can,[you know the kind that you pour paint in a pot and then add compressed air to pot to make it spray].What he did was he made up a hose to go from the paint can to injector,filled the can with injector cleaner and sprayed into a can as he clicked injectors on and off with a 9 volt battery.You might even be able to reuse some of the cleaner. He said some thing about making sure your injector would click before you put pressure to it or you would have trouble getting the hose off injector.I would put in a pressure release in hose for that reason. I think you could make one of these up for 10-15 bucks, buy the injector cleaner and do it yourself for cheap.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To me, it would be worth the $15 per injector to have someone do it who KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Guaranteed it's done right, and they'll let you know if there are any bigger problems than just dirtiness with your injectors.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

on a LTx car, I might futz around with self cleaning. 1/2 hour to change injectors don;t matter too much.

on a TPI car where it takes 10 hours to swap injectors, it;s not worth the risk.. let FIC do it.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why be penny wise and pound foolish? For what it costs to get it professionally done as compared to buying the parts and doing it yourself, it's a no brainer. Jon at FIC will guide you in the right direction.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 AM
chevylu
Advanced

For a L98 TPI, I look at it like this:
FIC cleaning $15 x 8 = $120.00
FIC replacements = $169.95
Given the work involved, I'd just replace and be done.

For a true DIY type with more time than money:
Fuel Injector Service Kit = $25
Can of Chem tool = $5
Satisfaction of DIY = $?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by chevylu

Can of Chem tool = $5
Satisfaction of DIY = $?
plus let me add.
the replacements are flow matched, warranteed for 3 years, are the latest in injector technology, and are 100% alcohol compliant
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM
schrade
Safety Car

At the risk of being called a heretic, has anyone ever tried something like this with your injectors?

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=82
I did.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...4&postcount=37

Some one else in here offered this tip; I got it done with a little twist. MIne were pretty clean; it didn't help too much. It might have made a difference with hi-tech sound cleaning, like FIC's service...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
chevylu
Advanced

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
the replacements are flow matched, warranteed for 3 years, are the latest in injector technology, and are 100% alcohol compliant
Hey Jon - I have searched high and low all over the web for some technical info on Bosch Design III injectors such as yours at http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...&productId=134. I've seen them referred to a Design III, Type III, and Gen III, all of whcih probably refer to the same thing.

Are you aware of any technical information that I could download that would explain what is different about this injector that makes it superior to others?

This is what I've found to date:
Most pintels have been redesigned so that the "spray" coming out of the injector is a better pattern for fuel burn, for faster pulse rates and more efficient atomization. So if the injector you are buying has a redesigned pintel or may be referred to as a "Design III" injector, it's actually a good thing and they are OEM replacements.
The type 3 injectors have the four way spary pattern disc..Bosch Design III 19 lb 19lb/hr MPI (multi-port injectors) injectors. 204cc @ 3 bar. These injectors have a disc-type four-hole fuel delivery system in comparison to the single pintle of the Design II's for a more efficient fuel-atomization. This results in a more efficient power delivery and better mileage.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Can of Chem tool = $5
Satisfaction of DIY = $?
How much to flow match? You will spend WAY more money doing it yourself because now you need to take apart the injectors and balance them. Oh wait, you also need the flow bench. Something you will use once every what? 5 yrs?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Hey Jon - I have searched high and low all over the web for some technical info on Bosch Design III injectors such as yours at http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...&productId=134. I've seen them referred to a Design III, Type III, and Gen III, all of whcih probably refer to the same thing.

Are you aware of any technical information that I could download that would explain what is different about this injector that makes it superior to others?

This is what I've found to date:
Most pintels have been redesigned so that the "spray" coming out of the injector is a better pattern for fuel burn, for faster pulse rates and more efficient atomization. So if the injector you are buying has a redesigned pintel or may be referred to as a "Design III" injector, it's actually a good thing and they are OEM replacements.
The type 3 injectors have the four way spary pattern disc..Bosch Design III 19 lb 19lb/hr MPI (multi-port injectors) injectors. 204cc @ 3 bar. These injectors have a disc-type four-hole fuel delivery system in comparison to the single pintle of the Design II's for a more efficient fuel-atomization. This results in a more efficient power delivery and better mileage.
there is not much except the new design Bosch work the best out of any replacements we have ever used. They come in all sizes up to 39lbs.
I think the key is flow matching. Since we buy so many cores and every one gets flowed and marked. They are stored in bins with all the same flow injectors to the cc. This way when you buy a set they are all identical. Cars such as yours that have only 1 o2 sensor really benifit from a flow matched set. New injectors bought from auto chains are not flow matched and most of the flow matched sets are within a few cc of each other. Ours are perfectly balanced. We then have to modify the bases so they install at the same height as the factor injector in the l98. No one else does this. All the o-rings we use are viton. Each injector set before a customer gets them is flowed once more,ultrasonicall cleaned, flowed again and tested for flow pattern then sealed for shipping.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
To me, it would be worth the $15 per injector to have someone do it who KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Guaranteed it's done right, and they'll let you know if there are any bigger problems than just dirtiness with your injectors.
The old saying, let George do it, don't. If Jon does it its right the first time!

When I get doing for everyone else, I'm going to order a set of Bosch Design III for my '94 moded vert. But first, I need to datalog and let pcmforless do a little tuning on the idle end.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning Injectors

Quick Reply: Cleaning Injectors