C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What torque wrench to get?

Old 12-26-2001, 02:06 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default What torque wrench to get?

I'm looking to get a good torque wrench. I guess I need a foot pound one first.

Should I just head to Sears and pick up a new Craftsman one or would it be good to try for a used Snap-On one from ebay?
Old 12-26-2001, 02:11 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (Chris Fowler '80)

Chris, I just got a new Craftsman one from my wife for Christmas. 18"(I think) handle, 20-150 Ft lbs and also lists the torque in nanometers(don't know what you would use that for)
She paid $57 for it I think. If you are not working( I am) Sears has their huge tool blow out sale today. I would definately go for new.
My .02
Old 12-26-2001, 02:13 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (82dukman)

After using an old beam type torque wrench for years, I broke down and bought a Craftsman click type. I wish I'd done it a long time ago. :cool:

[Modified by Mack76, 12:13 PM 12/26/2001]
Old 12-26-2001, 02:20 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Chris. I would go with the new craftsman. while in the Navy, i worked on weapon systems. We got our torque wrenches from the "lowest bidder". Craftsman was the norm. They had to be calibrated every 3 months and exercised each time before use. They help up well and hardly every required replcement for calibration (our tollerances were very tight). So, unless you are going to use it many times a day, every day like a full time mechanic, I would go there. Craftsman makes great weekend wrench turner tools and they are guarunteed!

My two cents.

Ron
Old 12-26-2001, 02:34 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be very leary about buying a used one. :yesnod: Proper care is required for the longevity of this tool, and you don't know how it was cared for by the previous owner. Craftsman suggests removing all tension on the inner spring, by storing it in the 5 to 5.5lb range. NOT doing this will effect its accuracy. I'd but a new one... they are not that expensive. I have the Craftsman Ft/lbs and Inch/Lbs wrenches and I love em. Good luck :cheers:
Old 12-26-2001, 02:39 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (82dukman)

Chris, I just got a new Craftsman one from my wife for Christmas. 18"(I think) handle, 20-150 Ft lbs and also lists the torque in nanometers(don't know what you would use that for)
She paid $57 for it I think. If you are not working( I am) Sears has their huge tool blow out sale today. I would definately go for new.
My .02
Might just be time for a run to Sears, then. :D

I got a $60 Sears gift certificate for X-Mas. Sounds just about perfect. :yesnod:
Old 12-26-2001, 06:26 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Craftsman, comes with a waranty... best thing on the planet... you break it and no questions asked take it back
ZD
Old 12-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (ZD75blue)

Just bought my Craftsman torque wrench. :D
Old 12-27-2001, 09:57 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (ZD75blue)

Not necessarily true ZD and I'm probably going to go against the grain of this thread. Craftsman does not warrant it's torque wrenches as it warrants it's other hand tools. The torque wrenches are only warranted for 90 days (I think). How do I know? I bought a 1/2 inch torque wrench from them and used it to assemble my engine a couple of years ago. I used it for a period of about 2 or 3 weeks. Earlier this year I was doing some work and needed to use it again and the ratchet mechanism broke. I went to Sears and they said they couldn't do anything for me except take it for repairs which they would charge me for. I was astonished because I've been using craftsman tools since I was 12 (a very long time ago) and never had a problem with them. I'm not bashing their tools because my roll away is full of them but be forewarned about their torque wrenches. I have a 3/8 inch Husky that I've used for a long time and it's given me no problem at all. I'll probably get a Husky or Kobalt when I replace the 1/2 inch. Just my $.02.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:22 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Vettfixr is correct about Sears warranty. I am a big fan of Craftsman, and own a bunch of Snap On as well. I would go with Craftsman. It is virtually impossible to get any warranty out of Snap-On. Craftsman doesn't warranty torque wrenches (neither does Snap-On), but that is kind of understandable. Use it in the first 90 days so that you know it doesn't have any construction flaws, then it really shouldn't be their problem after that. A torque wrench needs to be taken care of properly. I think Vettfixr's problem just happens to be a bad situation, but we have to all understand that Sears needs to protect themselves against stupid people, and in the process people that do know what they're doing, like Vettfixr, have a problem and get screwed by that policy.

I have a Sears wrench that had the "lug nut special". It has rubber on the end and handle to keep from scuffing things. It took about a drop of oil on that rubber and it swelled up and fell off. I would suggest going for an all metal construction.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:12 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Chris,
I'm with Vetfixr.
I can tell you from personal experience, Sears will NOT replace a broken Craftsman torque wrench under the lifetime warranty that covers their other hand tools. It has a short warranty, like 90 days, or maybe 1 year, but that's all. The lock ring on my Craftsman torque wrench broke after maybe 3 or 4 years (several engine swaps and countless minor projects later), and they would not replace it.

I bought a pair of Husky torque wrenches, in 3/8" for inch-pounds and 1/2" for foot-pounds, from Home Depot. The lock ring broke (same as the Craftsman! :eek: ) after maybe a year of regular use. I took it back to Home Depot. They didn't even ask to see a receipt. The guy pulled one off the rack, handed it to me, took the broken one, and said "thanks for buying Husky tools".

I'd rather have one that never broke (does a Snap-On torque wrench have any plastic parts?) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Husky tools from Home Depot.

good luck! :seeya
Old 12-27-2001, 02:19 PM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a nice one no ebay, brand new too. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1312615918

:) :) :)

That one would be good for torquing the heads on your caterpillar engine when you put it in your vette! :D
Old 12-27-2001, 03:26 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (Gator81)

I have a Craftsman 1/2" wrench I got from my buddy 24 years ago when he switched to Snap On. It's all chrome plated metal- no plastic at all. I always store it at the lowest setting to remove tension on the spring. The socket lock button was the only thing wrong with it when I got it and it has worked fine ever since. I thought about getting a new one but didn't like the plastic handle they have now. All in all, Craftsman still makes good tools and I have 90% of them in my tool boxes!
Old 12-27-2001, 08:41 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: What torque wrench to get? (gtr1999)

I have the Craftsman click-type and it works great. Also, Sears should be running their after-Christmas sale so now is a good time to buy.

Get notified of new replies

To What torque wrench to get?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What torque wrench to get?