C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight assembly removal asap

Old 12-26-2001, 02:02 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight assembly removal asap

F&*%(^%$# headlight assemblies. I try to remove them as a unit, to big, so I try to take them out peice by peice, I got it down to the body, and the headlight door. I look through my manual and it says remove bearings....ya that'd be easy if that little rod wasn't so long. Does that rod move? it seems like the headlight door is all one peice, rods included. Please help, I have almost scratched the thing like 4 or 5 times, right now i have a towel wraped around it holding it still so I can get help...this manual only shows you how to remove the j-bar....like thats a hard task.

HOW DO I REMOVE THE HEADLIGHT DOOR FROM ITS BASE??

Daniel
Old 12-26-2001, 02:22 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: headlight assembly removal asap (daniel77350)

you have to remove the bolts at the cross shaft.there are 2 triangle pieces with the cross shaft going thru them.there are 3 bolts each triangle I think.also take allen head wrench and loosen the allen screws on the stops on the shaft next to triangle mounts.you also need remove the bolts where headlight frame bolts to front car frame.I think 2 or 4 bolts there.those triangle mount bolts can be a pita to get to but it can be done.
wave on but not the finger. \ ////
Old 12-26-2001, 02:30 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: headlight assembly removal asap (all smiles 81)

I have those out...I loosened the allen wrench things on the bushing(spacer??) and removed the triangle bolt things you speak of..but the rods are to long, and unless I man handle it, its not going to come out...I have all but two bolts removed on the housing too, and those two are loose, so it should be a little more felxible that way.

Anyway, Im going to clean up for the day, make sure it doesn't hurt anything, then Im going to go replax and play around, maybe go to the mall and look at air tools :jester

then I'll try again tomarrow...I don't want to get to upset at it and do damage.

Daniel
Old 12-26-2001, 02:36 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

If I remember right I had to turn the assy a little sideways and on angle to get them out.Also the doors will come off from the base.there are bolts on the arms to the doors that unbolt and then the door will come off.I think i removed the doors before I took the frame out.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:38 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: headlight assembly removal asap (all smiles 81)

http://www.larryscars.com/71vette.html
I will go out and look at it right now, if I can get it out, I will, but then I'll still stop...I still think I need to relax some. :jester

Daniel
Old 12-26-2001, 02:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

You DO have the hood and grills out, I presume.....at that point it's not so bad really, but if you don't, it's impossible....been a while, but I had mine out as one piece assy, before that deer got them....

GENE
Old 12-26-2001, 03:11 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: headlight assembly removal asap (mrvette)

I took mine out complete as well but it is tight. If you wat to remove the top from the frame you have to remove the three bolts on each side that go into the triangular bearing mount. On the inside on the shaft there is a collar on each side that is loosened by an allen head set screw. Once those are loose and 6 screws are out, they should come apart with a little finesse.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:12 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: headlight assembly removal asap (lbell101)

important to remember:

my car is a 77. The headlight reserve is part of the chassis. off of that is a two metal bars that go up a little, then forward to the bumper. there isn't enough room. its just not enough room. I even tried removing those three bolts, and losening the allen head screws and so on and so on. What Im going to do is reattach those 3 screws(3 on either side), then remove all the pivot parts in the "middle"(that the actuator attaches too), so its just the headlight doors and the black peice. Im going to do some creative masking, and paint the parts in the car. I'd feel safer that way. I didn't spend all that money on a paint job to gouge a big scratch in it just to do what can be done with the parts still in the car, the only problem is it will take a little longer to mast off...no big deal.

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To headlight assembly removal asap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headlight assembly removal asap