C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat cover mounting question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 12:04 PM
76greg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seat cover mounting question.

I have a 76 that I am putting new seat covers on. The old seats were bubbaized. They were put on using spray adhesive! :crazy: This question applies to the seat back only. Do I use the smallest little wire loops to attach the seat cover through the foam to the retaining wire on the back side of the foam? From what I have seen from the different articles and video I have, Yes I do, but these are damm near impossible to pull through and attach to the retaining wire. I seem to have extra one size bigger wire loops left over from the installation wire kit. These little loops want to straighten out before I can get them on the retaining wire. :confused: Seat back only question.

Thanks! Greg
Old 12-26-2001, 12:33 PM
utahrookie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Seat cover mounting question. (76greg)

when I did my 79 I used medium hog rings (about 1/2 inch). Having the hog ring pliers made a big difference and sped up the job.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:23 PM
76greg
Racer

Default Re: Seat cover mounting question. (utahrookie)

I don't have a problem with the hog rings. These are the thin wire pieces that attach the back seat cover to the foam, not the hog rings that attach the seat cover and foam to the seat frame. they look like a &. Do I use the smallest ones supplied in the install kit or the next bigger size. The smallest ones are very difficult to connect up and the next bigger size ones seem not to pull the cover to the foam tight enough. I think I should use the small ones but they tend to want to straighten out as I try to attach them to the retaining wire on the back of the foam.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:56 PM
76greg
Racer

ttt
Old 12-28-2001, 07:23 PM

Greg,I pulled the seats out of my 77 to work on the dash.I turned them over to lube the seat tracks and I say to myself what the hey has this guy have holding the seat covers on.Instead of the hog rings he used plastic wire ties.Well it may be bubba but I can't argue with success the covers fit great and I've had the car for 9 years.They are still on holding good.Don't know what he used on the upper seats. :crazy: Chuck
Old 12-28-2001, 08:15 PM
76greg
Racer

Default Re: Seat cover mounting question. (chucks)

I heard of using wire ties but prefer to go with the clips as supplied. Has anyone done seat covers lately. I still am trying to get these teeny tiny little '& ' clips to go through the back seat foam and attach to the wire rods on the back of the foam! :mad Do I use the smallest ones? They are about 1/2 inch long.

Greg :confused:
Old 12-29-2001, 12:41 AM
76greg
Racer

Default Re: Seat cover mounting question. (Ed T)

Yep, new foam, wire puller tool, still a pain to pull through enough to clip on the retaining wire on the back of the foam. If I use the next bigger size I can hook it up but seems too loose when done. If I use the small ones they tend to straighten out before I can get them over the retaining wire. :rolleyes:

Greg
Old 12-29-2001, 07:13 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Greg; Instead of pulling the hook up and over the retaining wire, I pushed the retaining wire through the loop in the hook. I grasped the retaining wire with a vise grip and twisted left and right while pushing it through. Hope this helps you. Craig :chevy
Old 12-29-2001, 01:41 PM
76greg
Racer

Thank's to all! :) I guess I will do whatever it takes! :D

Greg
Old 12-30-2001, 12:57 AM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Greg,

Just reading your thread.....I'm getting ready to do the same and put some new seat covers on mine, just got them today......were is a good place to get some info on the installation techniques.....I noticed in your thread you mentioned some printed info and a video..??? Can you let me know where I may find some good installation info.....I'm also planning on putting in some new foam.

thanks in advance....

CC
Old 01-02-2002, 04:12 PM
76greg
Racer

Default Re: Seat cover mounting question. (ccryder)

ccryder try
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...s/seatspg1.asp

76greg
Old 01-02-2002, 06:38 PM
76greg
Racer

I was able to use the smallest wire loops on the back! :yesnod: I opened up the loop where it fits over the back retaining wire about an 1/8th inch so that when I pulled the wire loop through the foam it would catch the retaining wire easier. :) I had to use vise grips to pull on the tool to get a good grip, push down on the foam, pull like hell and hope for the best. :crazy: It worked. Once the I was all connected up, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to close up the wire loops that were opened up too far from pulling. All done with that part.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Seat cover mounting question.

Quick Reply: Seat cover mounting question.