C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor pans getting soaked

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 10:31 PM
Hokievette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor pans getting soaked

Is there a common leak point at the fire wall windshield area? My floor pans are getting pretty wet and I think that it must be coming from the fire wall area. If this is common, how bad is the fix?
Old 12-25-2001, 11:25 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Floor pans getting soaked (Hokievette)

I did several thing to mine solve this problem:

1. Cleaned out the plenums (? not sure if that's what they're referred to or not, but the cavities) at either end of the cowl (below/in-front-of the windshield) area.

2. Caulked all of the seams in the cowl area.

3. Covered the cowl area with undercoating (probably not the proper material, but I thought it looked good).

4. Caulked the rubber strips at each fender where it meets the windshield (probably should have replaced the strips; I think this may have had the greatest impact on stopping the leak).

5. I also removed the windshield pillar trim and checked the condition of the windshield pillars to see if they were rusted (just surface rust, I was happy to see).

I'm sure there are some other suggestions people will offer, but these may get you started.

My only leaks now are related to worn weatherstripping.

Good Luck.

Oh, yes this is a very common problem. You may want to search the forum & the Web for articles & solutions.

[Modified by jerryp58, 10:26 PM 12/25/2001]
Old 12-26-2001, 12:10 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Floor pans getting soaked (jerryp58)

I just spent weeks fighting this. The best way to go about it is use a squeeze bottle and try to isolate it. The thing that happens most often seems to be the seams between the firewall and the front end. The worst part is that you really can't get at it without bending a brush and putting it in that little area you can see only when the door is open.

What happens is that the car flexes and the seam sealer cracks or breaks over the years.

[Modified by Rhys, 11:10 PM 12/25/2001]
Old 01-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Floor pans getting soaked (Hokievette)

I had the same issue and it turned out to be coming in through the doors. There is supposed to be a piece of plastic that seals under the the door panel to keep water that comes around the window from getting inside. The water should channel through the door to the rear where there is a hole for it to escape. Mine was missing the plastic. I installed a heavy gauge piece of visqueen around the door panel and calked around the perimeter, it stopped the water from hitting the bottom of the door channel then soaking through the carpet to the floorpan.

Get notified of new replies

To Floor pans getting soaked

Quick Reply: Floor pans getting soaked