Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

..... the DISTANCE of things to come.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Default ..... the DISTANCE of things to come.....

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...=7002&Itemid=6

If the Fuel-cars are going to it, it's probably a good-bet that we'll be going to it in the future, as-well.

I'm often critical (and rightly-so) of Glendora, but at-least this-time, they are being PROactive instead-of REactive, and I applaud their efforts:
I hereby grant His Dimness and One-for-the-Road a 24-hour stay-of-execution (but it's still daylight here, and they are capable of screwing-up yet today)

Old 07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 309 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I agree...when drag racing started it could have been any distance...the fact that it is 1320 is just a number....I have come to really enjoy 1/8 mile racing so 1000' is no big deal to me...I have no doubt in my mind that within a very short time this shorter distance will be acepted wholeheartedly by all racers...

Look at it this way....it's more exciting, safer, less catastrophic failures, uses less fuel and the event takes less time to run...yes, it is a bit harder to race the shorter distances but once you get proficient you are a much better racer...one thing is for sure, you better be able to hit that tree real good because .050 lights don't get it at 660 or 1000"....
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Does this mean EVERYONE is happy for now????
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
Does this mean EVERYONE is happy for now????
from the Official NHRA Press release:

“The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision,” said its president Kenny Bernstein.

..... YES..... it sounds-like the drivers, who pilot these cars on tracks built when speeds were 220, not 320 MPH, are happy.

Last edited by Glensgages; 07-03-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally, I'd rather see them just detune the cars/limit their power than shorten the 1/4 mile to only 1000'.
When Indy cars got too fast they didn't simply shorten the straightaways at the Brickyard LOL.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Personally, I'd rather see them just detune the cars/limit their power than shorten the 1/4 mile to only 1000'.
When Indy cars got too fast they didn't simply shorten the straightaways at the Brickyard LOL.
I think the 1000' idea is a wonderful temporary solution, while sharper minds (Jim Head, et al) come up with a better shutdown and arresting system. These things take time to come up with and implement, and things can't continue the way they are in the meantime at the risk of losing another driver. I applaud PRO for standing up to NHRA (for the first time on record, maybe Dr's can find a spine in KB), and NHRA for listening. I don't think 1000' racing is THE solution, but its best short term solution we have
Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman9368
I think the 1000' idea is a wonderful temporary solution, while sharper minds (Jim Head, et al) come up with a better shutdown and arresting system. These things take time to come up with and implement, and things can't continue the way they are in the meantime at the risk of losing another driver. I applaud PRO for standing up to NHRA (for the first time on record, maybe Dr's can find a spine in KB), and NHRA for listening. I don't think 1000' racing is THE solution, but its best short term solution we have
True, I do have to agree there.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For those of us that like good, close competition, I think we will still enjoy the show. It sounds like a good, solid, short term solution.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Default Jon Asher Speaks

noted drag-racing writer Jon Asher, who isn't afraid to ruffle-feathers and rarely minces-words, recently posted this at the mater:

It is far easier to say you’re going to stop using a certain track for a national event than it is to find a suitable replacement.

National Trail Raceway was too short 15 years ago – and Norwalk is not just an adequate replacement, it’s far better in every way imaginable. With that said, Norwalk is still a bit shorter than the ideal, and there’s absolutely no room for expansion. The airport’s in the way.

Starting at the top:

Pomona is up against public roads and can’t be lengthened because of it.

Gainesville might be able to purchase additional room for shutoff at the far end, but I’m not certain of that.

Englishtown, well, we know about the trees and neighbors, so there’s no room there.

Bandimere Speedway can’t physically expand either. Neither can Las Vegas – unless you can get someone to move Interstate 15.

And there are others, of course.

It’s been said before, but it’s definitely true that most of the tracks we race on were built long before there were 330 mph speeds, so we have to deal with the race plants that are already in existence.

..... I do not believe shortening the race distance to 1,000 feet will negatively impact either the TV audience or the sponsors. There is absolutely no reason to think that the sponsors would even care, much less even know about it.

Secondly, asking tuners to race at 1,000 feet this week and 1,320 feet the next is just asking for more parts breakage as they try to adjust back and forth.

Besides, if the 1,000 foot thing remains in effect for long the tuners will quickly build combinations specifically for that, and they won’t want to swap back and forth.

~Jon Asher~

Get notified of new replies

To ..... the DISTANCE of things to come.....

Quick Reply: ..... the DISTANCE of things to come.....