C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HyperTech Power Chip

Old 12-25-2001, 09:22 PM
thamzid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HyperTech Power Chip

HyperTech Power Chip
Anyone have any experience with this Chip and does it do as claimed.
Understand you have to run 93 octane Fuel using this chip.
Plan on installing it on a stock 1981
Ken :chevy
Old 12-26-2001, 11:43 AM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HyperTech Power Chip (thamzid)

Hello, Ken,
It looks like you have the twin to my car. Yours looks great.

Here's a link to my car page:
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/free/morris.htm

About the chip: I'm no expert, but here's what I think I know about it.

I put the Hypertech Thermomaster in mine. Although I think it's somewhat over-rated, I'm still glad I have it. The primary function it serves is to provide more total spark advance and bring it in earlier.

The "Thermomaster" version is supposed to have a more aggressive spark curve than the regular Hypertech chip; that regular chip is still somewhat more aggressive than the stock chip (as I understand it).

With the "Thermomaster", you're supposed to install it with a cooler-than-stock thermostat, the idea being that with the cooler intake charge you'll be able to use the additional spark advance without inducing spark knock. They recommend a 160-degree 'stat. However, I experienced significant problems with the rest of the engine controls, including smog stuff and the choke, running at 160. Also, I've come to understand that 160 degrees is not warm enough to keep the inside of the engine clean, regarding the deposits formed from interaction between oil, condensation (water), and combustion by-products. It also hurts the fuel mileage to run so cool, particularly with a carburetor - there's too much fuel in the intake manifold that's not vaporizing or atomizing, but running down the runners in drops.

So I went up to a 180-degree 'stat, and all is well. That's still cooler than the 195-degree stocker, and I have no problems at all with spark knock.

I do run 91 octane fuel. But, as you'll notice from the info on my car page, my engine is not stock. The compression is over 9:1, as compared to the stock which is.... what?.... 8.2:1? or 8.4:1? Anyway, I really don't believe you could get enough cylinder pressure with the stock cam and stock compression to need (or even take advantage of) premium fuel, even with the advanced spark from the Hypertech chip. The elevation you drive at has an effect on this, too. I live at about 4600 feet (Ogden, Utah), where the altitude effect is very noticeable, significantly reducing cylinder pressure. How high is Tucson?

Well, that was a lot of stuff. :rolleyes: Hope you found what you need in there somewhere. I do believe you will be able to notice some difference with the Hypertech chip in your stock '81. However, I would encourage you to check for other brands of chips. Ask their techs exactly what the chip is programmed to do. In the '81, the chip controls air/fuel mix on the primary side of the carb only (the secondaries are computer-free) and it controls spark advance. So the only way I can see for the chip to be used to improve performance is through the spark curve.

Good luck with it! :seeya
Old 12-26-2001, 11:57 AM
1yy07
Racer

Default Re: HyperTech Power Chip (thamzid)

Verry good answer Gator81! I have a 82CE the only thing I liked about it was how it helped convertor lock up!
Old 12-26-2001, 12:08 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HyperTech Power Chip (1yy07)

Oh, yeah, I always forget about the tranny lockup function (mine's a 4-speed). Good catch on your part! :D
:seeya
Old 12-26-2001, 10:43 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HyperTech Power Chip (Gator81)

Hey Gator... I'd be interested in knowing the total advance on your '81. I have the Hypertech Stage II with the 160 stat, along with the hypertech hei coil. That's interesting about the temp issues running the 160. I may have similar issues and may need to go with a 180 as well. Did you do any before/after timing comparisons with that chip? These numbers are off the top of my head, so I may have to confirm, but at 10 degrees initial timing, I get 26 degrees total (ecm disconnected) at 3k rpm's, and 46 degrees total with ecm connected. The chip was in the car when I bought it, so can't make a comparison.

[Modified by Chris81, 9:45 PM 12/26/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 03:06 AM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: HyperTech Power Chip (Chris81)

I personally think you could probably spend the $150 on a better performance increase item. Carb jets + install. New intake. New distributor. Lars Recurve kit. (The best/cheapest mod! And it's way less than $150) That's just my humble opinion of course.

Matt

[Modified by Golden80, 12:06 AM 12/27/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To HyperTech Power Chip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HyperTech Power Chip