C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 06:59 PM
Signal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?...

Just wondering if anyone had rebuilt their 350 with that Edelbrock RPM package that is advertised to make roughly 420 Horsepower...Does it indeed put out 400+ HP??...Are the heads really that good?...I have a friend who said he heard not so good things about the Edelbrock heads but he likes their carbs...I'd hate to invest over a thousand dollars in something that may not be top quality...I know you can get AFR heads for not much more...I'd consider their full RPM package if it's as good as they say, especially considering their 410HP crate motors are like $6,000! :eek:

Jason
Old 12-25-2001, 07:29 PM
Matt M
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?... (Signal)

I'm running a 388 cubic inch with the RPM heads and RPM Air Gap intake and a cam that is similar to the RPM cam. I can drive the car anywhere and have run a best of 11.42 at 118 on the motor, so I'd say that the combo works pretty well.

Matt
Old 12-25-2001, 07:45 PM
compuvette
Racer

I have a set of 6089 Edelbrock Performer RPM 64cc heads for my 84 vette. The build quality is great and they come with stainless valves, guide plates, and springs that are good for .575 lift. They might not flow the best, but for a realistic street engine, they are pretty good. I have heard bad things about the cams, I would and have picked my own cam. The performer and performer RPM intakes are without question some of the best intake manifolds out there. I will probably have an Edelbrock intake on my 71, but if I stick with the 350 I will keep the stock heads (LT1 heads) and the big-block will make enough power with oval heads to make me happy for now.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:20 PM
Signal
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?... (compuvette)

Matt M--WOW, I'd say that combo is definitely working for ya! 11.42!! :) :) If you come back to this, do you mind posting a little more info on your setup???...Does your '75 have an auto or stick?...What stall converter??...What carb and gears etc?...Your ride sounds very sweet!...

Compuvette--Thanks for the info!!...Sounds like the Edelbrock Heads and Intake are good setups...It was mainly the heads I was wondering about anyways, but I guess I have no need to worry about that now hopefully...Thanks!...

Jason
Old 12-26-2001, 12:45 AM
Apeiron
Advanced

While not the best on the market, the heads are a great improvement over stock for the price, which is all that really matters for a street car I guess. Like the others said though, don't bother with the Edelbrock cam.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:45 AM
Signal
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?... (Apeiron)

Ok, so it sounds like the Edelbrock heads, intake and carb are pretty good...Though I'm thinking a Demon carb may be a better investment...And the cam selection is best left for another company...As far as that goes, I was on the Airflow research website and noticed the Comp Cams 12-433-8 and 12-432-8 hydraulic roller cams listed under the already tested engines...Anyone have any opinions on these cams??...I'm assuming they are pretty good and probably more pricey...The 12-433-8 looks to be the choice for the 383 and 12-432-8 the choice for a strong 355...This info sound about right so far? :)

Jason

If anyone does not know anything about the cams, the specs are here:
http://www.martelbros.com/cgi-bin/st...1/compcams.htm
Old 12-26-2001, 01:45 AM
Matt M
Instructor

Jason, here's a list:

388 cu inch (.060 over 350 with 3.75 stroke crank)
Eagle crank
Eagle SIR rods
TRW forged flat tops
Comp Cams Nitrous HP cam (230/244@.050)
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads 70cc
Crane 1.6 to 1 aluminum roller rockers
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold
Holley 700 cfm w/ mechanical secondaries
Continental 3000 stall 10" converter
Turbo-Hydro 200 4R overdrive transmission (by Jim Cambell)
4.11 rear axle ratio
Forged side yokes
Spicer non-greaseable U-joints
Tom's Axles spindles
VanSteel double offset trailing arms
Koni shocks
VB&P front transverse fiberglass spring
1985 OEM fiberglass rear spring
homemade A-arm travel limiters
VB&P traction bar- modified to allow adjustment of pinion angle
Centerline Convo Pro 15x8.5 rear with MT ET Street 26x11.5
Griffin 19x31 radiator
Oldsmobile electric fans
Stewert aluminum water pump

With the Centrifugal Supercharger it has run 10.50's at 130mph (was running 12.0 natural at the time)

With nitrous it has run 10.50's at 128

1.45 best sixty foot

here's some pics from a couple years ago: http://hometown.aol.com/chevymotor/page3.html

Matt

[Modified by Matt M, 5:54 AM 12/26/2001]
Old 12-26-2001, 01:47 AM
Signal
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?... (Matt M)

MATT--Hey, thanks alot! :) That 388, is that the same as a 383 with a larger bore?...

Jason

[Modified by Signal, 11:51 PM 12/25/2001]
Old 12-26-2001, 03:15 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it indeed put out 400+ HP??
I think it does put out 400+ HP. I am running a near identical engine to the 420HP crate engine they advertise. I have the cam, heads, and intake that they used in their testing. I haven't dyno'd my car yet as I haven't gotten it in "tune" perfectly due to many other things but my best time (with one bent pushrod) was a 13.8 with my 3.08 rearend. Hopefully I will have some better times come Saturday night at the track!! I also have a 4.56 rearend I will be putting in for a little while to see the absolute best 1/4 mile time I can get before going to something a little more milder. For now, I think my car in its current configuration should be able to pull a 13.5 or so.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I have their package, only I used Sportman II heads instead of the RPM heads upon my engine builders recommendation. I've been very pleased with this setup in a 355 sbc. If I was going to do it again, I would go with a stroker motor for the flatter torque curve. My present motor is very fun as is though :D .
Old 12-26-2001, 12:51 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Signal,
I have my rpm heads for about 2 years and have not had a problem with them. When I first got them I inpected the very closely as I had aproblem with a set of Trick Flow head. The quality of the heads was very good with no machine droppings. AS for power, I think there may be better flowing heads availabe but for the street these put out very good power. I am not running the rpm cam. see sig.
Ed
Old 12-26-2001, 06:00 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Several recent posts about this and I have chimed in several times. I bought the complete Edelbrock package, rpm heads, intake, carb, water pump, cam. I would have to say that all are great parts and work very well together for the money. With the exception of the cam. I would recommend going with a COMP cams. Somthing with alot less duration. Edelbrock RPM is like 305 advertised duration and makes for a less than desireable street cam. Poor vacuum, poor idle, and no torq. Ran like hell over 3000rpm but that is not very realistic for the street. Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:23 PM
Signal
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?... (ScubaJKD)

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone...Some great info and first hand experience there!...

Bryan--You seem to be in agreement with alot of the others here...Just a question, what cam would you recommend with that setup?...Do either of the cams I listed look like a good match?...Good vacuum would be a huge plus with all that power to go along with it!...

Thanks again for all the info fellas! :)

Jason
Old 12-26-2001, 08:02 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Scuba said or more or less said the cam is a 25+ year old design.The Comp XE 274 would be great with at least 3.36 gears.Vetterodder runs one.Ask him what his vacumm is.It is pretty good for the size of the cam in a 327
Old 12-27-2001, 01:00 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

I ended up rebuilding the engine to 383 and using the entire Edelbrock package again except the cam. I quick call to COMP cams and they recommended the Roller 280H. For your application with Edelbrock package I would think that the 250 to 270 range cam from COMP would be fantastic. Lots of vacuum. Good idle and lots of torq. I would call them they are very knowledgeable and helpfull. Let us know what you decide. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?...

Quick Reply: Anyone rebuilt engine with the Performer RPM package?...