C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Question...????

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 04:31 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header Question...????

I'm looking at getting a set of headers for my '74 L82, the question is, what kind should i get? I'm looking at getting a set of flowtech ceramic coated block hugger headers, these ok? Should i go with a block hugger header or a full header? I would prefer the block-hugger. Any input is greatly apreciated, thanks in advance :)

oh, one more thing, do i NEED ceramic coated headers?
I hear bad things about painted ones, although the price is attractive... :chevy

[Modified by VETDRMS, 8:32 PM 12/25/2001]
Old 12-25-2001, 07:18 PM
Garson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Header Question...???? (VETDRMS)

I just installed headers on my 74', I tried three sets of Dynomax (one bent, one broken, one bad weld on the flange) I finally went to a set of Hedman and they went on fine. They are also packaged to ship where the Dyno-max are just placed in a box with the collectors to rattle around and dent and scratch the coating. I would recommend the ceramic coating as it will keep the under hood temp down. I also used a different set of gaskets from felpro. Good luck with your project..

Garson
Old 12-25-2001, 08:03 PM
compuvette
Racer

Sorry, I cannot agree on the hedmans. I tried to put a set on my 2000 Dodge RAM 4x4 and went through two sets before putting the original manifolds back on. These were the T.E.S (tubular exhaust system) headers that bold right in. The first set was bent so I called hedman. They said that they would two-day ship me out a new set. A week and a half later the second set showed up, but they were also bent. I ended up getting my money back, so I have a credit at the autoparts store to spend on the '71.
Old 12-25-2001, 08:20 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Header Question...???? (Garson)

Thanks, i wasn't sure which ones to get, but it seems each one has some issues with packing/bending ect...always a pain. Were you using the block-huggers or full headers? Thanks for your input, i will probably get them order after the 1st :D

I just installed headers on my 74', I tried three sets of Dynomax (one bent, one broken, one bad weld on the flange) I finally went to a set of Hedman and they went on fine. They are also packaged to ship where the Dyno-max are just placed in a box with the collectors to rattle around and dent and scratch the coating. I would recommend the ceramic coating as it will keep the under hood temp down. I also used a different set of gaskets from felpro. Good luck with your project..

Garson
Old 12-25-2001, 08:23 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

full length offer better performance...block huggers are for street rods with space limitations.

Daniel
Old 12-26-2001, 08:49 AM
figment3
Instructor

i put headman headers on mine with no problem at all, mabey took me two hours, the trick is to get the car high enuff off the ground to gain clerance,good luck to you
Old 12-26-2001, 10:43 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Header Question...???? (figment3)

I would recommend sticking with the Ram horns.......The performance difference is really not worth the hassle in a lot of cases
Old 12-26-2001, 12:34 PM
1yy07
Racer

Get a set of HOOKER SUPER COMP full lenth WITH JET HOT. do tell them auto or 4speed ac or not all that kind of stuff. dont forget about antiseize on the bolts, also get a box of TD locking hedder bolts part#8836, good stuff!RUMBLE RUMBLE!
Old 12-26-2001, 01:54 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your engine is pretty stock??

If it is you need to find the headers with the smallest primaries you can, 1 5/8" maximum, otherwise it will really loose power in the low and mid range.
Also get the longest primaries you can, 30" is pretty common and just barely long enough.

Don't bother with Block huggers, they are, like said above for looks only.

The hooker super comps are way too big for a stock 79 engine and will suck the power out of it.

That said most people go from a sucky stock system with ram horns and 2" exhaust to Huge racing headers and 3" exhaust and they do find an improvement, it's just that they'd have more improvement with a little smaller primaries and the same exhaust...

Read the stuff on this site if you want to learn more about headers...
www.headersbyed.com
Old 12-26-2001, 02:09 PM
jimbr
Instructor

Default Re: Header Question...???? (Garson)

I don't like the sound of this at all! My 70 is undergoing surgery right now and I have a set of dynomax ceramic coated headers waiting to go in... and yes, they do not know how to box a product - stupid packaging. I also went with the felpro gasket instead of that paper crap..... My car is not stock (shortly willbe putting on the DART iron eagle heads....edelbrock performer AirGap.... :) )

Jim
Old 12-26-2001, 03:59 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: Header Question...???? (figment3)

i put headman headers on mine with no problem at all, mabey took me two hours, the trick is to get the car high enuff off the ground to gain clerance,good luck to you
Hey figment3, OFF TOPIC but I also had a white '76! In Toronto. Did you see the Toronto get-together thread? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=205110
Old 12-26-2001, 04:08 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Header Question...???? (SuperFast80)

I've got a set of Hooker full length headers that I had Jet Hot coated. That was 4 years ago. The ystill look great no leaks and they went on with no problem. I would go this way again in a minute.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:42 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get Dynomax coated headers which fit & flow great.

Get notified of new replies

To Header Question...????

Quick Reply: Header Question...????